Wild Animal Encounters

Hello, does anyone here have first-hand knowledge about masking scent w/ nature, and if it keeps wild animals away or prevents them from attacking?

I personally believe that if you never worry about bad encounters w/ wild animals, you’ll never have any.

Maybe one reason animals come lookin for humans or attack is due to artificial scents on our bodies? Idk , just been thinking about this.

I’ve also heard that humans aren’t suppose to bathe much because it takes away our natural oils and leaves us more open to diseases, but Idk.

I’m talking wild predators that fear mongers swear will attack you.

Like anything, I think it depends. Yes, there are fear mongers out there. If you understand an animal’s behavior, then you will likely know how to avoid confrontation, as well as diminish them. It also depends on what continent you are in. If you are aware you may encounter megafauna that could kill or seriously wound you, but with awareness comes choices (climbing a tree, turning and walking away, walking backwards away from the animals, not reacting at all but freezing, making yourself look bigger, etc.). Generally speaking, these animals do not come looking for humans to attack unless they are hungry and wounded. It is a possibility, but again if you understand their behavior and their boundaries, you won’t have an issue most likely.

Masking your scent is really only something you should do if you are actively hunting an animal. Most wild animals move away at the smell of humans. They are not looking for confrontations. I don’t know much about Grizz, Polar, or Moose. It may be a good idea in some instances. Here in Oregon, I don’t worry about it at all.

You can still bathe without loosing the oils in your skin. Cold river immersion, steam baths with herbs can kill/wash away bacteria without washing the oils out of your skin. Also, with a more ancestral diet, many illnesses and odors are not present in the same capacity or intensity that they are with contemporary grain and sugar diets.

2 Likes

Informative, thanks.

Like Peter said, know your area, know your wild sisters and brothers… Knowledge and common sense are key, as is interacting with your environment with awareness and respect. Don’t listen to “fear mongers” - there is endless BS and misinformation about predatory species out there. Research and ask local experts. (for example, before entering a national park, check in with the rangers about anything you need to know). “believing” you are not in danger is not wise either - your belief will not protect you in a dangerous situation. Walk gently upon the Earth, learn, listen, observe, be aware. Practicing sensory awareness, being fully present, and obtaining accurate information about ways to avoid or to de-escalate any potential trouble would be my advice. As Peter mentioned as well, “most” predators will avoid direct contact with humans in general, unless there is some mitigating circumstance (habituated to dumpster diving, starving /sick / injured / protecting young, mating season in some cases…) knowledge and awareness = higher likelihood of safety.

Like Peter said, know your area, know your wild sisters and brothers… Knowledge and common sense are key, as is interacting with your environment with awareness and respect. Don’t listen to “fear mongers” - there is endless BS and misinformation about predatory or other “dangerous” species out there. Research and ask local experts. (for example, before entering a national park, check in with the rangers about anything you need to know). “believing” you are not in danger is not wise either - your belief will not protect you in a dangerous situation. Walk gently upon the Earth, learn, listen, observe, be aware. Practicing sensory awareness, being fully present, and obtaining accurate information about ways to avoid or to de-escalate any potential trouble would be my advice. As Peter mentioned as well, “most” will avoid direct contact with humans in general, unless there is some mitigating circumstance (habituated to dumpster diving, starving, sick / injured / protecting young, mating season in some cases…) knowledge and awareness = higher likelihood of safety.

[quote=“Feral-Minded, post:1, topic:2186”]
Hello, does anyone here have first-hand knowledge about masking scent w/ nature, and if it keeps wild animals away or prevents them from attacking?

“Masking” our scent might actually increase the odds of startling an animal, bringing about the encounter you wish to avoid…

It would be logical to avoid wearing stinky lotions or other body scents in some cases - for example in areas where bears are habituated to raiding tents (or even vehicles) for food, they often get in to lotions and the like - they may equate those items with a food source. Just a couple of thoughts…

Side note: i’m not sure if you are thinking in terms of “wilderness” areas only… but i was once charged by a mama racoon in a downtown urban parking lot… she had her kids with her and they popped out of a dumpster as i came out of my apartment building and started to walk into the lot, not really paying attention. i stopped in my tracks when i saw her, and took a few steps backward slowly… but ended up turning and running back into the building when she came at me full speed - she successfully scared the crap out of me and defended her territory! haha. :smiley:

What Peter and Tracie said, but a lot of this:

People focus a lot on the big predators. Where I live (in the Ozarks) is very wild. There are some bear, I’ve seen a cougar, but those are pretty much zero concern. Ticks and snakes on the other hand are a serious consideration. I know more people who have been fucked up by ticks than any other wild animal. But when it comes to snakes and things like that, you just have to be aware that you’re on their turf. They would defensively strike any animal that tried to mask itself and fail to be cognizant of their space. Rare that they would lash out, just as it’s fairly rare that any animal would really prey on humans, though not impossible.

1 Like

Thanks for adding that perspective, K.T.! You are so right about the “ticks and snakes” bit. I have a dear friend who is seriously and likely permanently mangled due to Lyme disease. Mosquitoes, turned ankle, and exposure to elements i’m not prepared adequately for are usually much higher on my list of concerns than “large predator”. (of course this will vary depending upon our location, the season, and activities). I learn a deeper awareness every time i’m out with my wild sisters and brothers of all descriptions. The key for me is to quiet my civilized / programmed mind and be fully present - this is not always easy to do, sometimes it feels almost impossible, but if i stay long enough, it happens, and it is infinitely rewarding. I receive the precious gifts of connection and deep joy every time - i feel increasingly like i belong and am a part of it all. :green_heart:

Thanks for sharing ya’ll, helpful indeed.

1 Like