Talking to Your Other-than-human Self

I believe everyone has an Other-than-human Self. A “wild” self, if you will.

I believe modern cultural modes of self-censorship, enslavement, and self-denial, will give ground on this thing, last of all. They fight it tooth and nail.

I refer to the voices in your head, shaking their fingers at you. They don’t want you to act from your other-than-human self.

Joseph Campbell called this “following your bliss”. Martin Prechtel calls this your “indigenous soul”. Tom Brown, Jr. means this sometimes, when he refers to your “Inner Vision”.

Whatever you call it, all ideology claims it as an enemy. All modern ideas of moral purity, right action, and correct behavior wish to utterly destroy this in a person – or chain it to the greater cultural will.

I think if we don’t watch out, Rewilding can become yet another ideology fighting this holy-wild-self. I don’t mean folks should act out of whims, caprice, or self-absorption. I’d call that just the maddened behavior of slaves struggling to find respite.

No, I see a nobility, a calm, ecstatic centeredness in the wild-self. Rather, I mean to single out when we don’t do something because “it won’t rewild us”, even though our heart quickens in happy anticipation of doing it. Or when we do choose something, because “it will rewild us”, even though our gut sinks and our whole bodies contract unhappily.

I spent a couple years drifting through wilderness jobs, and communes, and I never found more rewilding than when I came home, started writing, recording podcasts, and sitting on the computer all the time.

I’ve struggled to handle the paradox, that Lightning Boy (my laptop) blunts my eyesight, even as he often liberates my wild-self to write-what-I-must-to-fully-live. Why does my other-than-human family converse with me more now than ever? I can’t think of any other change, other than my ever-increasing commitment to “doing what feels joyful, and good”.

I wish you all luck, in connecting with your other-than-human self, whatever you call it, and however you choose to do it.

Very well put, Willem. I absolutely agree in spirit, although in action I have experienced some paralysis on this front.

I eagerly await the day when my writer’s block subsides. I fully expect that when I find the courage to write poetry and fiction again, the way I did once (with my entire self – sometimes I would enter trance!!), I will begin to rewild in leaps and bounds (instead of fits and starts). :stuck_out_tongue:

Ironically enough, I tapped into my “other-than-human” (“other than civilized?”) self yesterday evening. I’ve been sick with a very persistent throat illness this week, and I was reminded of one instance of the flu that I had when I was young, probably about 4 or 5.

I went to bed feeling fine, and then had a very vivid nightmare. (Also ironically enough, the premise of the nightmare was going “camping” with my family … my family has never, ever been camping, but I wanted to so badly when I was small that I used to dream about it. My “camping” dreams usually involved more than setting up a tent and cooking marshmallows: I always managed to leave camp and live out some kind of adventure in the wilds.)

Anyway, I had a nightmare that I had a heated (threatening) verbal altercation with a big brown bear, and when I woke up, I found out very tangibly that I had the flu (I was covered in sick! :stuck_out_tongue: :o). In the moments before I called out for my mother, I experienced a very visceral, very corporeal connection between my layers of consciousness and my body. All I knew was how I felt in the moment.

I was able to remember this feeling last night, and in a way relive it, but I gave it the name of “inner voice” or “inner child” – the voice of “gut feeling” that persists without any instruction of what to say. I felt the voice take a prominent position above any other thought I might have had. I was able to do this for a good half an hour.

And afterwards, of course, I wanted to find a way to be able to call up that voice more easily. I promised myself I would. I felt my life depended on it. But since I made that goal only last night, I’m still working on it. :wink:

Wow. Thanks for helping me remember that and inspiring me to write it out!

Yes Willem, I like the tracks you are following here.

Freedom from the regurgitated dogma of an ideology.

“I believe modern cultural modes of self-censorship, enslavement, and self-denial, will give ground on this thing, last of all.”

Many people (not just the mainstream) dis the exploration of self as “navel gazing” but I think it is an essential part of the process of learning how to align ourselves with the flow of the rest of creation.

“I don’t mean folks should act out of whims, caprice, or self-absorption. I’d call that just the maddened behavior of slaves struggling to find respite.”

In my life I am finding that the things that are being placed in front of me are not necessarily easy, or things that my rational mind would have chosen. Sometimes they are things that scare the crap out of me when I think of them. But everythng I’ve learned up to now is showing me that this is where I need to go.

I was reading some old posts the other day. You mentioned your teachers pointing you towards the world and saying “pay attention”. Yeah, that is the school I come from. I’ve had more than one teacher who said that to me repeatedly. It sounds kind of simple but man, there’s a lot there.

When I hear someone say, “yeah I’ve heard that all before.” I want to say, “well you might want to pay attention to that.”

In my life I have had things come to me that I did my best to avoid or hide from. They came around again and again and again until it got through my thick skull that this is something I need to pay attention to. Some of these things have been very hard things, which is why I ran the other way for so long. My life has become much richer from these teachings. Not easier.

Following your bliss doesn’t mean your life is gonna be all hunky dory and everything is gonna be fun and games. It might be a very challenging road, but a rich and fulfilling one.

billy and rebecca-

thanks for affirming and chiming in, guys. it feels good to know other folks have this on their minds, and your comments about how this connects to childhood and “bliss doesn’t mean ‘easy’” feel really, really important. something clicks for me there.

yrs
Willem

Willem,

thanks for affirming and chiming in, guys. it feels good to know other folks have this on their minds, and your comments about how this connects to childhood and "bliss doesn't mean 'easy'" feel really, really important. something clicks for me there.

Your post really resonated with me, too. The funny thing is that I was just reading Iron John, by Robert Bly (He does a lot of work with Martin Prechtel). He talks about this other-than-human-self a lot. He calls it the Wild Man. I’m going to offer a few quotes from the book to show that this other-than-human-self is very real and ancient. I highly recommend Iron John. It’s easy to read and makes a lot of sense to any man that feels like something isn’t quite right with this way of life.

When a contemporary man looks down into his psyche, he may, if conditions are right, find under the water of his soul, lying in an area no one has visited for a long time, an ancient hairy man. The mythological systems associate hair with the instinctive and the sexual and the primitive. What I'm suggeting, then, is that every modern male has, lying at the bottom of his psyche, a large, primitive being covered with hair down to his feet. Making contact with this Wild Man is the step the Eighties male or the Nineties male has yet to take. That bucketing-out process [Like Willem mentioned above, this bucketing-out process isn't easy work] has yet to begin in our contemporary culture.

and…

The kind of wildness, or un-niceness, implied by the Wild Man image is not the same as macho energy, by contrast, leads to forceful action undertaken, not with cruelty, but with resolve.
The Wild Man is not opposed to civilization; but he’s not completely contained by it either. The ethical superstructure of popular Christianity does not support the Wild Man, though there is some suggestion that Christ himself did. At the beginning of his ministry, a hairy John, after all, baptized him.

Take care,

Curt

This might seem like semantics, but I don’t think of this as an other-than-human self–I think you’ve perfectly described the very core of our human selves. Civilization hates nothing quite so much as our humanity; it demands that we look upon it as “fallen,” a synonym for the flawed, weak and broken, as “only human” or “all too human”; it calls us to “transcend” our humanity and leave it behind, whether by spiritual enlightenment, holy salvation, or the elevation of Reason and Science. We’ve often spoken of the many ways in which civilization tries to strip us of our humanity–Tim Ingold writes of this in strong, academic terms in The Perception of the Environment if anyone still doubts the how’s and why’s of it. But we should always remember that civilization chases an oxymoron here. If it ever succeeded in eradicating our humanity, it would destroy its own foundation in doing so; so we exist, necessarily, between a civilization that tries to repress our humanity, and our wild humanity itself, and its refusal to ever submit entirely. Oh, sure, our civilization strives for the dynamic equilibrium that leaves the most weakened and repressed level of our humanity possible before entirely falling apart, but that means that in the most sinister heart of civilization, you will find a beating, wild, human heart.

I come from the place where people once built a longhouse together, so I have to speak to this in terms this land knows. The Haudenosaunee spoke of uki and utkon, all too often mistranslated by anthropologists as synonyms for “good” and “evil.” Now, I can’t claim to understand this concept entirely, but it seems to come in some ways from things like bird songs, or voice.

Like Manitou, orenda is understood as a kind of unifying notion. Everyone has orenda, but it is also differentiating in that different people have different orendas. One way to understand this concept is suggested by the linguistic root for orenda, -ren-, which is also the root for the terms for "song," "to sing," and "voice," or "speech." From this angle, orenda marks the song or voice of particular things.35 While my voice and yours are distinctively our own, they also are similar in important ways. One can distinguish between individuals on the basis of their characteristic song or voice, and one can also link individuals together through similarities of voice—much as one might link the sounds of several drums, where each makes its own sound, but together the sounds are like enough that they literally resonate. Listening to the sound together, the resonating drums are a unity of sound; listening for the characteristic expression of a single drum makes individuals emerge from the collective sound. It is important to note that while each drum has its own sound, it is both a sound dependent upon the drum’s origin (the skins and wood of which it is made) and its interaction with other agents—the drummer, the listeners, even the other drums in its hearing. In this sense, the distinctive character or power of a given individual is also dependent upon a host of relations and other persons. The bond with others is an indissoluble one in that the characteristic expression of one person is what it is only in a complex of relations.

The Haudenosaunee placed enormous emphasis on the importance of honoring that voice–if I understand the notion properly, staying true to yourself. I see this in their understanding of dreaming, as well. Indeed, the healthy relationship of self to society that I’ve learned from so many wild, native societies took this as a key component, that we must remain true to ourselves.

I had a bit of a revelation a few days ago, when, in questioning what we really mean by “wild,” I investigated its etymology, and found it surprisingly simple. The Great Vowel Shift moved the pronunciation of many of our vowels, and made “wild” from “willed.” Wild simply meant self-willed. Self-willed animals, self-willed places. Civilization subdues our own will, and replaces it with another’s. I believe, in this, that I’ve found the fundamental act of domestication: to replace another willed person’s will with your own. Take away the will of the wolf, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a dog. Take away the will of a forest, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a field of crops. Take away the will of a human being, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a slave–whether a wage slave, or the traditional kind, hardly matters.

When you pursue the things you feel passionate about, you restore your own will. You become self-willed. You give heed to and honor your own voice. You restore your humanity against civilization. You rewild, in the truest sense of the word.

Quote from Scott L. Pratt quoted from “Persons in Place: The Agent Ontology of Vine Deloria, Jr.

I completely feel with this thread. I have been struggling with trying to live with myself, find what I love to do, what makes my heart sing, and all the practices civ forces on me. How do I reconcile my will, the things that make I long to do, with all the things that I must do to survive in civ?

I feel that we must free ourselves from ideology, that we must act towards our own interest, but I also feel the tension between this and the wider world. I feel that it is selfish in some ways. If I focus on things that I love to do, I fear that I risk ignoring the future and the things that must be done on a practical level to make the world a better place. I mean I know that the world would be a better place if everyone acted from their wild self, but there are paths that we have to take to have the biggest impact in civ that don’t feel best to my wild self. The long lobbying process, or going to school to have the ability to have major impact on cities through city planning, or any of these things. Do we run into the wild and forget the fate of the rest of the world?

On the other hand, this idea goes back a long way, Thoreau talked about acting from your own personal conscience, but how does the group balance that with the group conscience? If I do something that the group considers abhorrent, what are my rights? What are my groups rights in relation to me? Is it possible to have such a society where everyone acts with their wild self? I feel that it should be possible, but I also feel that I don’t know how it would work.

Wow, Jason, strong statements. That doesn’t mean I’m not in agreement with them, though. :slight_smile:

Willem, I have to admit that I was confused when you used the words “other than human” - I thought I was missing something and I was trying to be patient and let what I was missing come to me in time. I gotta say though that I feel more comfortable with Jason’s interpretation. I couldn’t see how my “gut instinct” voice inside of me (the one that kicked in when I felt scared, disoriented, and naseous (just waking up from a nightmare with the flu!)) came from somewhere that was outside of myself as a human. I think of it as my wild human emerging. The human-ness that is good enough by its very nature, and, I might add, within nature. Not born with original sin. Not trying to be something other than what it already is. (Sorry, loaded word “is” is! Isn’t it? ;))

Matt – I have struggled with the very same issues of trying to live in civ and feel wild at the same time. I am starting to make some strides, however, in forming a reconciliation. I am lucky enough to have a job that gives me a lot of freedom to be “me.” I can have dreads (hell, my boss has them! She gives me advice!) and I am pretty much expected to express my personality, to be “one of a kind”. That’s what my boss likes about the people she hires – their individuality. (I love the way she does business – the coffee shop draws and keeps a small base of loyal customers because the employees are NOT expected to act like corporate drones. They are respected and heard when they talk honestly with the “boss” about any problems that occur. Many are artists or musicians of some sort – committed to quality as long as they don’t have to fit a mold.)

So anyway, I have discovered that when I approach my job as a person who rewilds instead of approaching my job like it’s a civilized chore, I can learn a lot about the social/psychological aspects of rewilding and I don’t even have to be setting aside time away from my job to do so. And then, it doesn’t seem like wasted time or slave labor. When I talk with customers I make it a point to appreciate and try to draw up their whole humanness (not their fractured civilized selves)… so many of them are cogs in a soulless system and if I can help them to feel that there is some respite in the world, someone who sees and appreciates them, even if it’s just part of their daily coffee ritual, then I feel satisfied with my job – and it gives me faith that all of us have an intact humanity underneath the lived lies that civ forces upon us.

To sum that up: having a job that consistently gives you the freedom to be a social creature makes civ seem bearable for the time being. In time, I’ve learned how to make it work. I don’t think all occupations are equal in this regard, though. (I had a temp job as a receptionist in a corporate office once upon a time… NOT amenable to rewilding (just the opposite, in fact!!))

[quote=“jason, post:6, topic:813”]Wild simply meant self-willed. Self-willed animals, self-willed places. Civilization subdues our own will, and replaces it with another’s. I believe, in this, that I’ve found the fundamental act of domestication: to replace another willed person’s will with your own. Take away the will of the wolf, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a dog. Take away the will of a forest, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a field of crops. Take away the will of a human being, and force your own upon him, and you turn him into a slave–whether a wage slave, or the traditional kind, hardly matters.

When you pursue the things you feel passionate about, you restore your own will. You become self-willed. You give heed to and honor your own voice. You restore your humanity against civilization. You rewild, in the truest sense of the word.[/quote]

Yes!!! I love this. I see self-determination as the heart of rewilding. Willed, Wild, re-willed, rewild. Cool.

[quote=“Willem, post:1, topic:813”]I believe modern cultural modes of self-censorship, enslavement, and self-denial, will give ground on this thing, last of all. They fight it tooth and nail.

I refer to the voices in your head, shaking their fingers at you. They don’t want you to act from your other-than-human self.[/quote]

and, Yes! I feel like a slave every time I wake up from a dream and before I can even turn my attention back in the direction of the dream, my waking mind starts panicking, demanding answers: what does the clock say? what does the calendar say? where did I wake up?

I had a strong feeling that something OUTSIDE the self I deal with most of the time, who I sort of think I know, I guess you’d call it my obvious, or waking mind/consciousness–and calling this thing or place or self or whatever other-than-human works for me, because I think that plants and animals and geologic patterns and weather patterns all have this same source–gave me my dreams and sort of teased me from somewhere else, with the hint of indescribably interesting and powerful knowledge and understanding, that I could actually have if only I could figure out some secret, the secret of building a bridge between dreaming and not dreaming, and the other times that dreams peek at you while awake.

crap that turned into all one sentence. maybe I’ll post this anyway cause I don’t think I can make it sound less nonsensical right now.

Blue Heron, you’re job sounds totally awesome. I agree that we have to find every oppourtunity in our ordinary lives to turn them towards re-wilding. I’ve got to write a re-do of the Tempest for english, and I’m going to try to do it in a re-wilded world. But anyway, I also totally agree that not all situations are created equal in that respect. School I think, is one case where the opportunities are really limited sometimes, high school especially I think, (at least from my high school perspective) where you don’t have the variety of courses and freedom to choose that I hope to have at university. The failures of our education system are a whole other thread though :).

I just realized that I skipped over a whole portion of this discussion, I need more sleep.

I totally agree with everything that has been said so far, we must subdue our own voice to ‘fit in’ in society and be productive members. That is what we are taught to do.

On the whole human to non-human thing, I was reading a great essay by Paul Shepard last night, and I wonder, if we view individuals as that which relates, if there is that much difference. I think that our true voice is deeply human, and I agree with Jason that we turn away from that humanity all too often. However, I think I would add to that that at the deepest level, we exist as our relationships with the non-human world to a certain extent, especially in terms of self-imagery. So I don’t think we can draw a clear line between having a human or a non-human deep self.

Ahh, way to peel that back a little deeper, Matt!

Now I remember where I wanted to go with the point about voice … we value other-than-human persons because they offer a different kind of voice to listen to, a different perspective, a different way of dwelling in the world. Yes, we need to learn a lot about valuing other-than-human persons, but if you take that to disvalue human persons, you’ve taken it too far. We have a unique voice, too! We have a perspective all our own! Calvin Luther Martin wrote an excellent book, The Way of the Human Being, in that vein.

But yes, like you mentioned, we dwell in relationship. As Jeff Vail wrote in the first chapter of A Theory of Power:

The networks of connections, not the elements connected, appear to constitute a more accurate map of reality. Consider this a critical paradigm shift: the connections, not the parties connected, may best represent our world. Take the seemingly simple nature of this very book. All of our senses confirm that it "is" a solid object, with little mysterious about it. Another of our models of reality represents its composition as that of a web of billions of atoms; nearly entirely empty space speckled with clusters of sub-atomic particles. Other models exclude the concept of a concrete "particle" entirely: quantum mechanics provides us with a model of reality without fixed particles at all, using instead a nebulous web of constantly changing energies and waves of probability. These energies and connections may represent all that actually exists!

So what does it mean to call ourselves human? What does it mean to call someone else other-than-human? You just peeled open a very important layer, Matt–shapeshifting.

Now I get to quote Willem, from “E-Primitive: Rewilding the English Language”:

Animist languages seek to describe patterns of activity, and to connect similar patterns to each other. To separate the way of the coyote away from words describing sneaky behavior, destroys connection, destroys layering. In fact, to use the word “coyote” also means to “act like a coyote,” “to sneak.” In fact, the word “talêpês” means most properly “to act like a coyote.”

So in English, we can describe this as “the word coyote does not describe a thing, but a pattern of activity—we must denote a coyote by saying that it ‘acts like a coyote.’ We cannot point out a coyote itself.” In an animist language we’d find it difficult or impossible to say what we just said. English intrinsically looks for Aristotelian essences, inner natures, fixed realities, whereas native trackers know that a set of tracks may match the pattern of coyote activity, but that does not mean that “a coyote” made them. In quantum mechanics: “is it” a particle or a wave? Pointless question that creates a paradox. In animist language, “does it move” like a particle? a wave? Effortless conceptualization of a former paradox created by the actual structure of a language dedicated to enslavement according to rigid classes and conceptions.

So, we shouldn’t think of “coyote,” or “human” or “rock” or “tree” as describing some kind of essence that we partake in, but as a pattern of dwelling in the world, a pattern of relationship. Which greatly shifts the reality of shapeshifting, from something impossible to something almost inevitable!

So, I’d reiterate what I said before about honoring your wild, human self, but yes, when you dig deeper as Matt invited us, you get to patterns of dwelling, and even to shapeshifting. What could shapeshifting mean in a world of relationship, except the most extreme forms of empathy?

Thanks Jason, that really make sense. We are what we act like, but we must never forget that we can act like a human.

Great thread. I connect with this strongly.

One of my teachers said to me once, use what you find useful and drop the rest. I have heard this repeated many times since.

Another of my teachers once said and still continues to say, Pay Attention!

Those of us who have woken up to our wild cores, our inner voices, and who happen to live in the city are certainly faced with many challenges. Though, city or country it seems we face the same source of enslavement to the dollar. Short of bailing totally, and becoming a hermit, we face a lot of potential hurtles to freedom.

Those of us with the awareness of wildness within are shapeshifters… We are meant to change… to transform this civilization, just as things seem at their darkest and most hopeless. That is something I know deep in my heart. But, what that entails for each of us is a deep and personal mystery.

I would love to say that my best insights have always come in the woods, in nature. But, honestly most have occured in urban and suburban areas. But, isn’t that part of our enslavement? To separate urban from woods, city from wilderness? Isn’t nature present everywhere WE are? Isn’t wildness?

Our language itself is often one of the greatest sources separation, of the sorcery that enslaves us. We understand mainly only that which we talk about… but the scary thing is, we really don’t understand anything at all. So few of us know the actual nature of “cedar tree” or “coyote” because these very words are what we reflect on, instead of seeing into the mystery of the thing in question.

Hence the need for and power of quiet observation. Sacred Silence.

:wink:

Great book called SPELL OF THE SENSUOUS discusses this in great detail. Good re-wilding read.

I love hearing from all of you and how you take part in the re-wilding process.

Wow, Little Spider. I feel that completely.

Along with the words that we reflect on come images that do not count as direct experiences. Civilization so kindly provides us with imagery (in books, movies, etc) for people to draw from instead of letting them have their own experiences of “cedar tree” or “coyote.”

If that imagery makes up almost all you know of the thing in question, it becomes very compelling.

I remember at the skill share that I attended in February, someone informed me that I had set up my tent in an area where coyotes often congregated. Immediately, I felt nervous and concerned until I took pains to notice the look on the face of the person who informed me of this. Their face told me I had absolutely nothing to fear.

The last time I actually saw a coyote happened about 15 years ago. And I saw it standing indoors, looking out a window. I believe I have seen coyotes only about 3 times in my life, and only briefly and from a distance.

In college, I operated the lighting for a play set in the American Southwest. The story’s characters included a coyote who had a very nasty, cruel disposition. He eventually commited an act of malicious backstabbing and murder, supposedly because his “wild animal” nature got the better of him. Maybe this explains why I felt afraid of coyotes at the skill share?

Coyote and his big brother, Wolf have been scapegoats of our civilization for hundreds of years. They are also some of our most powerful teachers of the wild spiritual core within.

I still run into people all the time who are afraid of coyotes. Its odd to think a 30 lbs animal is something to fear, especially one that eats mostly small mammals generally no bigger than a rabbit or house cat…

I feel that even cougars and bears live under the constant dark cloud of exaggerated fear. My intuitive feeling is that they have an understanding with those in touch with their wild self, and generally pose no real threat to them. It is people who spend most of their lives in an unconscious state that are out of the balance, and are therefore seen as prey. Just as the sick or injured deer would appear to a cougar… so does a oblivious cyclist.

Did you know that the only animal (other than pack mates) that can walk up to a wolf den and take out the pups without being attacked is… man?

I wonder what sacred trust the wolf and our ancestors must have made?

somewhat, yes, but even tho’ coyote’s (generally) don’t make me nervous, swans (generally) do, and they weigh about 30 lbs, sometimes more, part of that is the attitude you deal with (frankly, swans seem awfully damn cantankerous to me) and part of that is a reasonable assessment of a conflict (if i got into a fight w/ a coyote, i’m positive i’d get chewed up a bit, but not nearly as much as a swan would cut the shit out of me).

and yet, most people in the states are like… “swans make you nervous…? ???”

I agree that wild animals like coyotes and wolves and bears and bobcats and swans (:)) don’t necessarily have to be feared, but they can and still will hurt us for some reasons even if we are “in tune” with them. If we go onto their territory, surprise them, threaten their young or are just in the wrong place at the wrong time, we will still be attacked. In fact, I think the main advantage that re-wilding gives us is it gives us a reason (respect) not to do any of these things.

Haha! Swans?! They can be pretty intimidating.

They can break your arm with a strong blow from their wings.

Still, I don’t worry about 'em. To me, part of re-wilding is sharpening and learning to tune into your awareness of your environment. When you are present, you can notice when you are being disrespectful to that swan and you can leave the place he is defend (i.e. nesting site).

There is no real reason to ever have to mess with a swan, anyway. Plus, throughout most of the USA, they are rare. The native Tundra and Trumpter swans here in WA, were I live, are only winter visitors.

On the East side of the Cascades, rattlesnakes are a potentially life threatening creature. Again, my feeling is that if you are present when stalking through areas they are likely to be in (talus slopes, dense brush near water, etc.) then your odds of getting bit are close to nil. Continue working on cutting your unnecessary mental chatter down, and bringing yourself into the present moment.

I have had a beyond-words communication experience with a wild Northern Pacific Rattlesnake, and learned from that encounter that most of the stories you hear about rattlesnakes are bunk. They are generally one of the first creatures to run at sight or smell of man. They are also rather gentle and curious animals.

Mind you, tread on one and it will most likely bite.

Did you know that the only animal (other than pack mates) that can walk up to a wolf den and take out the pups without being attacked is... man?

No, I didn’t know this. It does make sense though. It takes me back to the story Derrick Jensen tells in A Language Older Than Words. He mentions how Ojibwa children would pull wolf pups out of there dens, paint their faces and put them back. It was really a beautiful story.

Now back to your regular program.

Curt

Thank you, Curt. That sounds like a beautiful story!

There a quite a few stories out there of people being helped or even raised by wolves. That seems so far fetched to some that they excuse it away as impossible, because the wolf’s reputation is one of an evil and destructive creature. But wolves are caretakers… both ecologically and socially.

;D