Introductions

Kyle,

My name is Steve. I’m a 44 year old man who’s had enough of regular life and it’s people. I’m looking to move to Eastern Washington next year in April to start a rewild lifestyle. I would like to communicate with you Steveon the area and legal issues of this. Any information you can give me is more than I already have. Please contact me and we can exchange info. I appreciate any and all help in my search for peaceful and free living.

Steve

After flirting around with rewilding for a while, my husband is going to become a guide, and I am working to become an herbalist. We are currently living in Kentucky in an area that was called “Blackened Forest” (translated) by the Natives… we are working towards living in Montana.

Hello everyone, my name is Ana. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, CA and unfortunately am still living here. I’ve been interested in rewilding for many years, but haven’t yet had the chance to learn any primitive skills or rewild my life. What sparked my interest in rewilding is my depression that I’ve suffered with my whole life. I always felt like I just didn’t fit into society. I was always a misfit. I’ve always been a free thinker who questions all social norms and pretty much everything in life. When I was a child, my parents always told me “you have to study hard to get good grades so you can get into college and then get a degree so you can get a good job”. Even at a young age, this seemed strange to me. I always hated school and hated studying (I was diagnosed with ADHD…another disease that I don’t believe even exists. After all, it’s normal for kids to be hyper and have short attention spans. It’s not natural for kids to sit in desks for 8 hours per day. They’re supposed to run around outside all day and explore). Anyway, my depression really got bad when I was a teenager. I did not want the future my parents wanted for me. I did not want the life society expects of me. It made me depressed to know that one day I’m going to have an unfulfilling job sitting in a cubicle for 40+ hours per week being a wage slave. Just the thought of that kind of future literally made me want to kill myself and I still feel that way now in my late 20’s. I’ve been in and out of college for years. I can’t stick to school. I can’t keep a job. I can’t stick to a mundane routine even when I try. I just can’t function in modern society. It makes me feel claustrophobic and suffocated. I hate that I have to look a certain way, dress a certain way, act a certain way just so I can survive. I don’t want to conform to the status quo. My parents don’t understand me, especially my father. He’s very upset that I did not turn out the way he wanted me to. I don’t blame him because it’s not easy having to support your child well into their 20’s, but it’s not my fault I’m different. It’s not my fault I can’t function in the current structure of our society. The only time I don’t feel depressed is when I’m out in nature. Most of the time, I have no will to do anything. I can go days without a shower. I have no interest in anything in life. I always feel numb. But when I go for a hike, I feel ALIVE! I just want to return to nature like my ancestors. I want to learn how to forage for edible plants. I want to learn how to grow my own fruits and vegetables. I want to learn how to live off the land. I want to learn primitive skills. I someday want to buy a cheap piece of land, build a modest cabin on it, and become fully self reliant. I’d also like to meet a likeminded man to start a wild family with. I’d love to give my children the childhood I didn’t have. I’d love to unschool them. I’d love to teach them survival skills. I’d love to let them run free, play, and explore all day long like they’re meant to. Hopefully this community will give me inspiration to somehow make my dreams come true.

Hi Ana–

I have no specific information to offer because I too am struggling with the “exactly what do I do” ramifications of knowing for sure that I don’t fit in with the civilization, and don’t want to, and realizing that the whole world has become so sickened and damaged that the options for living a wholesome, wild life are not what they were for those ancestors you mention. I just felt moved to offer simple encouragement, by emphasizing that your clear realization that you cannot fit in with the civilization is a huge asset. Those who have found ways of being comfortable by fitting in, I believe, are not as fortunate as you because you can never do what they do and so must continue trying to find ways to extricate yourself from the physical and psychological dependence on the machine that has been trained into all of us since infancy. I believe that easing one human at a time (each of us our own self) out of participation in the destruction is the most basic thing that any of us can do for the earth. The challenge may prove to be bigger than you had thought (it certainly has for me, and I am way older than you), but also more exciting and so very worthwhile.

I guess this will serve as my own introduction as I too am new here, though I have lurked a lot. My name is Eileen. I am currently living in a very urban area, and my inspiration is the weed people, both plants and animals–dandelions, cockroaches, et al.: those who refuse to recognize the civilization’s preposterous claim to “owning” any part of this earth, and who bring wildness to the places that civilized people work so hard to maintain as exclusively their own, cut off from the flow of life in the world.

“I like it when a flower or a little tuft of grass grows through a crack in the concrete. It’s so fuckin’ heroic.”
–George Carlin, Brain Droppings

Brown Hat, the Espresso Shaman, of the Big Drum in the Sky Religion. I scream that all religions are true when they are understood as metaphor and the same is true of rewilding. Yes, of course I wanna see wolves running in Virginia, but I’m more interested in rewilding hearts and minds. We’re never going to “go back” to an idealized pre-industrial world. We can go forward into a wilder, freer and more egalitarian world in which we love and honor the spirits in each other and the other creatures around us. Then again, I’m fucking crazy.

Jeremiah, hitch hiker, restless, ever searching weirdo. Honest, truthful, ego crushing younger dude with a dog I’ve seen many miles with, small parcel land owner. Write, read, sober, exercise, forage, reborn hunter after dormancy, urban squirrel, trapper. Living with mom for time being. Pennsylvania rewilder Love to all.

Welcome! Looking forward to hearing more, @mikela-kles

@whimsicalwolf, welcome! I can relate to a lot of what you describe. I suspect you’ll find a lot of likeminded folks here.

Welcome, @bdsr666. :slight_smile:

Welcome, @Jeremiah. :slight_smile: