Artists

Painters/sculptors/film-makers/architects/etc. whose work has a rewilding or naturalist bent.

Patrick Dougherty: link 1, link 2

Andy Goldsworthy: link 1, link 2

Francis Lee Jaques (yes, you spell it without a “c”): link 1, link 2

Coincidentally, I recommend all of the 2nd links over the 1st.

A webpage for the Environmental Art Museum addressing the question, “What is Environmental Art?”

Ana Mendieta: link 1, link 2, link 3

Deborah Gillis: link 1 (click on the arrow at the left to view more), link 2, link 3 (artist’s site)

These are among the most gorgeous and fascinating paintings being slung onto canvas ( :stuck_out_tongue: ;)) in recent years (IMO of course). Gillis is one of the most ballsy, innovative, and technically MASTERFUL artists I’ve ever come across. A true artist’s artist.

EDIT: Aaaaa— I can’t handle it: THIS ONE is so luxuriously beautiful, it’s almost lascivious. And I’m sure it was incredibly difficult to paint!!

Does nobody else have art to share?!?

Sigh…I feel so alone… please invalidate my feelings and post some art. ;D

SilverArrow your awesome.

I don’t have any perse, but I love to look : )

I believe this is art:

…though it is of my own making (and Penny Scouts idea).

Wendy Tremayne, the artist who coordinated this event, timed it to coincide with Bush’s visit to NY for the 2004 republican convention. :stuck_out_tongue:

Witness the Vomitorium, a performance designed to highlight the similarities between our current empire and the “height” of the roman one. Remarkable, really–we just can’t seem to consume enough these days! If only the earth had a vomit mechanism. . . I shudder to think what THAT would look like! What if a stream could vomit talings back at the people responsible for them? What if a river could vomit a dam back at the people who built it?

I didn’t attend, but it looks like they could have pushed it a little more. With the message, I mean.

Her current project, aka Holy Scrap, looks like this.

Those photos of the vomitorium look a lot like the photos of my first two nuclear winter formals.

haha! :smiley:

eewww.

Ah, collaborative art … even better.

Hey Silverarrow,

I am new, & just found this topic. Nice to see it … ! Thanks for starting this thread.

There’s a big environmental art exhibit in March here in STL. I will try & find a link to it & post it … or take some pics when it opens & post them here for you guys. It’s folks from all over the country, photography primarily I think, but it’s nice to see the art community working in tandem with activists, not really something I’ve seen much, though I’ve never lived in the so-called art metropolises like NYC or LA. (Which actually I thank my stars for that … never had the desire for such.)

Scout, really loved the headstone pic …

Here’s my art

One of my favorite artists, Norval Morriseau

http://www.coghlanart.com/norval.htm

photographer Amy Stein’s “domesticated series”.
pretty neat.

"My photographs serve as modern dioramas of our new natural history. Within these scenes I explore our paradoxical relationship with the “wild” and how our conflicting impulses continue to evolve and alter the behavior of both humans and animals. We at once seek connection with the mystery and freedom of the natural world, yet we continually strive to tame the wild around us and compulsively control the wild within our own nature. Within my work I examine the primal issues of comfort and fear, dependence and determination, submission and dominance that play out in the physical and psychological encounters between man and the natural world. Increasingly, these encounters take place within the artificial ecotones we have constructed that act as both passage and barrier between domestic space and the wild.

The photographs in this series are constructed based on real stories from local newspapers and oral histories of intentional and random interactions between humans and animals. The narratives are set in and around Matamoras, a small town in Northeast Pennsylvania that borders a state forest."

http://www.amysteinphoto.com/domesticated.html

Jenny Holzer, 1985

No, this image is not photoshopped. It’s one of the works in the “Truisms” series by artist Jenny Holzer (who, as a kind of political performance art, installed a series of powerful, subversive statements in prominent public places throughout the 1980s… she had friends in high places, which allowed her to pull it off… not sure if anyone could do the same thing today, with all of the billboards owned by ClearChannel and so forth).

Anyway, this “truism” in particular (and the dramatic way it was executed, on a big screen with lights above Times Square traffic) has stuck in the back of my head ever since I was first exposed to it. I appreciate it even more now as someone who’s rewilding (in fact I nearly giggle at the thought of it) and I figure it’s something worthwhile to share with you all on the forum.

Richard Olmsted’s art is definitely more on the anti-civ side than explicitly rewilding, but should be of interest to folks here.

www.richardolmsted.com

Here two music videos from the music Group Dälek. There a not Primitivist. But Check it out.

zu vs dalek - Spiritual Healing Remix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYco8EQmhnQ

ORCA - Í Mínum Æðrum (Dälek remix)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3vkR4VGQr4