Artists

I found a wonderful website called Ubuweb. It’s an art archive - visual, audio, video. All genres of art. It’s unbelievable.

Ubuweb has a section called “Ethnopoetics” curated by Jerome Rothenberg, who has studied and compiled anthologies of native verse for over 40 years. He was one of the first scholars of poetry to take indigenous verse seriously and to give it respectful attention.

He writes: “The name that we gave this enterprise, as it applied to the world’s deep cultures – those surviving in situ as well as those that had vanished except for transcriptions in books or recordings from earlier decades – was ethnopoetics.”

I don’t know how I feel about that name, but I definitely want to share some of the visual art on Ubuweb:
Navajo/Diné Visual Poetry
Paleolithic Palimpsests from Les Trois Frères, France

Oh, and P.S.!!! Check out this kickass Gertrude Stein quote that Rothenberg includes in his curator’s statement:

“We proceed in the spirit of Gertrude Stein, often quoted by me: The exciting thing about all this is that as it is new it is old and as it is old it is new, but now we have come to be in our way which is an entirely different way.

A good approach for rewilding, I’d say!!

clicketyclack…

I took a look at Olmsted’s work. Holy Crap.

“In the Land of the Blind (Leading the Blind), the One Eyed Man is King”
(click on “art” at the left, then “drawing.” It’s in the list.)

As a portrait of the psychosocial dynamics of our society, that drawing rings truer than any work of art I have ever seen. As of the time of writing, I consider it just PERFECT.