Introductions

Hello All. I’m Barney & I live in South West Texas in a small town. I can drive 5 minutes in any direction and be in the country. I want to get back into camping and hiking, wilderness camping. I want to learn wilderness survival and self sufficiency. I look forward to building my own hobo stove and starting a fire without matches! :slight_smile:

Hello Logan and Barney, welcome to the forum!

Hearty greetings from Tokyo Japan. This site resonates deeply with me and provides enormous inspiration. My thanks to all contributers. Born and raised in New York, I have resided in Tokyo for over a decade as a translator. Tom Brown’s books, along with the intense urban surroundings, led me to question my lack of connection to subsistence. In the past few years, I have pursued classes in outdoor living skills/awareness and permaculture, and volunteer for a sustainable culture center. Although I have Japanese friends with similar interests, it would be a thrill to connect with rewilders in Japan, especially in the Kanto region. Along with the more physical skills, my interests lie in building community and organizing meetups. I have just created a rewilding group for Japan:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/rewildingjapan/

I expect most of the information there will appear in the Japanese language. Though still in the planning stage, the first Rewild Camp will tentatively take place near Koma Station in Saitama, Japan on June 27-28.

Hello, my name is Andrew. I live in SLC Utah. I have to say right off the bat, im very excited to see other members here from utah. I have been actively engaging in the destruction of civilization for at least 2 years now. IM 25 and am married. My primary inspiration comes from Derrick Jensen, Whom I have read all 15 or more of his books. I consider this a good start.

I have also read several other books and authors, just for a taste almost 100 books this year.

I am a student, and a teacher. I have been teaching art for nearly 5 years now, and currently going to colledge to teach on advanced level. It is my opinion , and I will quote DJ now " the great thing about everything bieng so fucked up, is there is plenty of work to be done everywhere you look". I think along this thought there is great work to be done, especially in the education system. I will hopefully teach most students ( as I am a art teacher ) how to purify water for this area. * a taste of the rewilding in me *

I am a fine artist and have been established as such for some time. I do spend alot of time painting and it was a personal investigation that lead me into the destruction of civ, to get back to a way of living that is sustainable for the planet.

I was introduced to this forum, by a member of the derrick jensen forum, Bereal. I dont know if the user name carries to this forum, but Thank you Bereal * whom ever you are * for introducing me to this forum.

Civilization is undoubtably killing this planet. And again I will quote derrick " Dismantle globally and renew locally" this is one of my major life goals. i will do whatever it takes to hault the destructivness of this culture, the mysogyny , … the very foundation of this culture, to the best of my abilities. I am an awesome teacher and one of the things I try to do is constantly engage people around me with these topics.

I consider myself a recruiter in this reguard. I will spend time on campus just asking people about their views of capitialistic gain structure ( etc ) and go on to talking about sustainability, about food, water, and air - * those things absolutly necessary for survival that we are absolutly destroying *.

I think joining up with this forum will only help me , and others in reaching a common goal I see here of attaining a realistic lifestyle of sustainability, of … rewilding.

Further, I do enjoy the atmosphere and love that I have allready felt from some members of this forum, and from what posts I have read ( and thats not much ). The sure amount of empathy and understanding to eachother is an experience in of itself, that deserves much attention - I dont experience this in my day to day life. I can and may beable to experience such here, and am hoping and looking forward to that.

I am also a philosophy major, i have one course left. I do not posit much to philosophy, however alot of it has given me grounds to make some good arguments, against the use of it. Also I have study psychology, philosophy, anthropology, and sociology to great extents. I could easily minor in each of these subjects. The point bieng i have at least a diverse educated background.

I have much to say, and many stories Id like to share. That of my child hood, struggles with drugs, and how I came back to bieng a more… functional? person, that is in reguards to protecting myself… and that is my sense of self that extends beyond this body,to the non humans and humans around me.

I firmly state, I will do whatever I can, to the best of my abilities , to hault Civ, and to renew those local communities locally , to … " rewild ".

I thank you all dearly for your time and consideration,

andrew

ps. i make alot of spelling mistakes. I hope this isnt to much troubble. I didnt see a ‘spell check’ option. If its very frusterating, I will be more than happy to copy, and paste into another program to spell check. I am hoping it will be ok that I am making mistakes, and hoping further that those typing errors are not to grand as to prevent communication. again, thank you for any consideration in this reguard.

Welcome Godzilla and Andrew!

By the way, Andrew, bereal/jessica helps moderate this forum, so yes, you should find her here. :wink:

29, male, happily married.

I love walking and being outside. On a grey day I feel “under the weather” only until I get outside.

I live in North Texas. We “own” a very modest house on a small lot in what was once blackland prairie, but now near an automotive assembly plant and 2 major sports franchises. The subdivision was platted in the late 1940’s and the trees have grown. My street is being re-built and you will be pleased to hear that it has been narrowed by 3 feet. (When does that ever happen?)

I need to complete my Master in Landscape Architecture in December, but I don’t have a thesis. My problem is that I want more wilderness and less built area (yet I expect employment which will utilize my education). My creditors and I would be very thankful for some direction.

Hey I’m Russell. 18 from Idaho, now living in Fort Collins, Colorado for another couple months. I am planning on heading down to live in Flagstaff after that. I am working hard on rewilding and finishing up an Anthropology degree in school. If anyone from Norther Colorado wants to do a little rewilding this summer, I am planning on being away from civilization for most of it.

I do a lot of activist work (both community oriented and environmental) but daily life is starting to wear me down and I will hopefully be completely feral in several years. ;D

Well met, Everyone. I call myself Sacred Sage Leaf. I currently Live in the town of Marlton, in the Southern Part of the State of New Jersey. Rewilding and Primitivism interest me greatly, and i hope to learn many great things in this community.

I began to study and practice these ideas three or four years ago. I eventually want to live completely self sufficiently, and perhaps with Others who feel as i do, in a Simply living, Primitive Tribe. I wish to use Rewilding in order to learn how many different areas of life work on a simple level, without brightly coloured prepackaged conveniences or pointless overcomplicated abstractions to get in the way.

Peace and Blessings to all of You.

Hello.

I’m WindDancer. Or Amber, if you prefer.

I’m 14 (and 1/2…) but please don’t automatically assume that I’m incompetent or any of the other things most do. I’m also going to hope I didn’t just insult anyone by making an assumption, myself, that the usual response will come from more open-minded people. Despite my age I’m not exactly new to primitivism or anarchy, because I’ve spent the past five years of my life living with old hippies who, though despise the system, seem to revel in the pleasures of it, much to my cunfusion… :-\ But, more on topic, I am new to rewilding specifically. But, I’ve always been interested in the earth, self-sufficiency and the more indigenous, ‘primitive’ ways of living since I could remember.

Anyway, I’ve been lurking for quite a while now, and finally decided I might as well speak up if I ever want to be an active participant, instead of just being an observer/fan of rewilding.

I’m in Reno NV, a recent move from north CA, and I hope to go up to Canada to completely rewild in a few years – one of the major reasons I decided to actually speak instead of just observe. But, I’ll get into that in my posts on the forum. ;D

… To end this superly-long-majigish-beast of a post…

Hello everybody. It’s a pleasure to meet you all. :smiley:

Welcome Greene One, Russell, SacredSageLeaf, and WindDancer!

Hope to hear more of your stories

my name is joel. my lover (25) and i (31) have held anti-civ/green anarchy ideas for about five years now. we both came to them on our own (before coming together) and in different ways.

my own story is: i grew up in the mountains of northern california (outside redding), was homeschooled, anarchist rural punk, and traveled lots by hopping trains and hitching pretty young. my family and i did a lot of rendezvous/primitive camping/fur trade reenactment while i was growing up. i moved to seattle in 96 and lived in downtown for two years. moved to arcata and then to redding, got divorced and then religion of the christian variety…albeit very anitauthoritarian and generally ecologically inclined.

i moved to a little chicken town in sw missouri around 99 and started teaching at a public school. taught all sorts of cool classes to the kids (circus, world music, stop motion animation, primitive skills) and built an off-grid strawbale house. gradually started to question some pretty basic assumptions about christianity, got more and more fed up trying to define what i believed and having answers about all the fucked up shit in the bible.

i met my lover when her gypsy anarcho-christian band www.psalters.com came to my land so my friends and i could convert their bus to run on vegetable oil. after a couple years letter writing and talking about things, she left the band and came to live with me in missouri. we’ve been together for a couple years and have a beautiful child named lively (she was born at our friend’s home in michigan and the birth was wonderful…my lover was strong and the child was born perfectly.)

we quit our jobs a year ago and live as free as possible (trying to get more free every day), spending most of our time doing what we want: rewilding, hunting, basketmaking, knifemaking, loving and nurturing our daughter, learning edible and medicinal plants, living with our goats, and learning to be.

here’s where we are right now: we have been invited to live on some land in central western west virginia and look forward to being less disconnected from our friends…some of whom may be moving to the land in the future.

we are looking forward to meeting folks practicing rewilding and primitive skills in the pennsylvania, west virginia, ohio, virginia area. my partner is also a musician (i play, but not too well) and so is looking for venues to play in the area and folks to play with.

one more recent development for us is that we are not christians anymore…this is tough because, without a tribe, in america personal faith makes up most of people’s (trumped up) community. so we’re still friends with most of our anarcho-christian friends (they are supportive, for the most part)…but probably would describe ourselves as bioregional animist. we don’t actually care to call it anything…we really just want place and nativity.

man, that was a ton of writing…we don’t actually take ourselves that seriously, you know?

Hey everybody, I thought I’d shed my ‘lurker’ skins and introduce myself to the community :]

My name’s Matthew. I’m 17 years old, a senior at a high school in Massachusetts, and I’ve been deeply interested in living a truly meaningful life since I was very young. Rewilding and the countless categories that travel with it, have been at the forefront of my mind. I want to enter the community on a level that transcends reading text.

Some information about me…hmmm…this is always difficult :stuck_out_tongue:

I am an aspiring musician of sorts. I’m a percussionist (Piano, drumset, marimba, and a few instruments crafted in Bali (Didjeridoo, Karimba). During the summer when my friends in college come back home, we play shows weekly at some local coffee-shops, but otherwise I do most of my work solo.

I love my bike, it’s a 10-speed from Britain, and I use it to get everywhere (which isn’t easy, I live in the rural half of the biggest town in MA). Being open to the environment around you, and not having a roof over your head while you travel is always a gift, never an inconvenience. On top of that, I go mountain biking in places I’ve never been, and always manage to find something…thought-provoking, I go free-running in the local woods. Going hiking, and exploring, is how I spend most of my free time, and I love taking friends and family out with me who end up enraptured and humbled with what we’ve done :smiley:

I’m vegetarian. I always have a book to read, and a poem in my head to write. I dream of reckless adventures, and only hope to fulfill them. I have my own portable copy of Jason Godesky’s The Thirty Theses (printed from the library, it’s a tome in all regards).

I started creating compost today for an organic garden I’ll be planting this summer.

My dream beyond dreams is to live in Iceland, and I am currently learning the Icelandic language.

And now I’m glad that my introduction is coming to an end, thank’s everyone for your time and patience, and I hope to share in the wonders of a true community with all of you.

Yours,
Matthew

Hello my brothers and sisters of the natural world! The names Noah, I just turned 21 and soon starting a new chapter in my life. Im ridding myself of city life for the sweet mountains and lakes of the Adirondacks. I intend to discount from this techno crazed society and start networking with nature.
Ive come to a point in my life where the things that mainstream society offer no long make sense or appeal to me. Im happy I found this forum to help learn how to become more independent from the system. and start really LIVING!. anyone who lives in upstate new york give me a shoot, im trying to connect with like minded people up there when i move in a couple weeks

I think this is where I make my introduction.
Anyway, I’m Æthelbera(which means noble bear in Old English) and I live in Canada. I have also felt close to the idea of rewilding and indeed, it’s something thata follows me through everyday life.
Currently, I am working on a degree in archaeology and in linguistics in university in Newfoundland and preparing myself whole-heartedly for the day I decide to rewild.
I am keen on learning about the world and have a deep interest in upper palaeolithic europe. I am an avid slinger and a craftsperson of sorts and plan to travel the world when I have all the “loose ends” tied up securely.
My current hobby is wildcrafting(ethically) and drying/preparing the herbs for teas and medications.
I hope to get a job with green working this summer and pick up archery when I have the money and time to join an archery club nearby.

Welcome Joel, Matthew, Noah, and Æthelbera!

Sorry for the delay in saying hello - this forum has reached its final weeks as a community, and so us moderators have busied ourselves with preparing the next forum that will focus on helping folks start rewild camps and havens.

In the meanwhile, make yourself at home.

Hello, folks, I’m Robb. I’m 33 and I live in what I call “Tacomaaqatsi,” hehe… I guess I was mainly introduced to these ideas when I read Daniel Quinn’s Ishmael novels over 10 years ago, which stirred up a lot within me but I didn’t know what to do with it since no one I knew was thinking along those lines at all (it also didn’t help that I was stoned and drunk all the time). Then, in September of 2008, while casually perusing a local bookstore, I picked up a copy of Endgame, and since then, well, what has happened since then differs depending on which of my loved ones you talk to. Some would say I suffered a near-nervous breakdown, others would say I finally woke up and pulled my head outta my ass. Truthfully, though, I’ve done very little other than read voraciously, harvest a few nettles, hazelnuts, and berries, and build a functioning bowdrill. Oh, and I also talk. A lot. I still struggle with alcoholism and the common depression (I’m sure no one here knows what that’s like, hehe) but I am focused on getting to know the place I live based on its life and living beings, rather than as a grid of dead streets, and I would like to make my life a weapon to help fight for, protect, and restore this place as a web of community. Three times over the last year-and-a-half I’ve almost quit my corporate wage-slave job (I drive dead people to dead funeral homes in a dead van on a dead freeway), but I’ve decided to keep the job for now, although I do not identify myself around it. I often feel paralyzed. I look at my job and my drinking problem in the same light. So, all that being said, I swear I’m not as bleak as it probably sounds, hehe. I am ready to to take this learning beyond speculative theory, and at least try to find a new way to live and identify with the living. So, uh… HI!

Hey Robb,

Welcome to the forum!

Hi Robb nice to meet you! There’s been some threads on alcoholism here in the past you might wanna look them up and see if there’s anything useful for you to take with, or perhaps to add something from yourself to. Im always intersted in this kindof thing because i have/am struggling with that as well even though i have found a much better balance as of late.

take care and have fun here !

Hi Robb, welcome!

Welcome Robb :smiley: