Where do I get my "I heart weeds" T-shirt?

My favorite weed is marsh pennywort, aka Hydrocotyle umbellata aka dollarweed. As I strolled through Target the other day, I saw it. A herbicide just for dollarweed. Eeeeeek! :o :frowning: ??? :ā€™(

Dollarweed (I prefer the name marsh pennywort) is one of the most wonderful plants out there. Itā€™s supposedly a water plant, but Iā€™ve only ever seen it growing in sand dunes and peoplesā€™ yards. Itā€™s got these long horizontal stems that grow under the ground like green rebar, only cooler, because how many sidewalks have you seen with beatiful green umbrellas sticking out of them?. I love seeing them growing in sand dunes with just the round top sticking out.

I did a little research and found out that marsh pennywort is in the carrot family. The Plants for a Future database does not list marsh pennywort, but does list two other Hydrocotyle sp. and both are edible. I tried a leaf and it did indeed have a carroty flavor (and I havenā€™t died yet, so I guess itā€™s not poisonous). Another website said that Columbians use this plant to draw the infection out of wounds.

Mind if we make one and add it to the Anthropik store?

Go right ahead :slight_smile:

Now you can get it here.

All proceeds from the sale of this shirt go to rewilding the Tribe of Anthropik. :slight_smile:

Nice. I like that you included the dandelion. Not only does it preempt the possibility of the reader not noticing the ā€œsā€ on the end of ā€œweedsā€, but it also helps elevate the position of the dear little flower that I like to call ā€œthe poster child of foragingā€.

Yup, my rationale precisely.

Really!? Iā€™ve always found grasses as the poster child with them often overlooked even by some the most educated of us traditional foragers. Ofcourse with plantains, nettles, mints, dandelion, and lambquarters comin next. After them Iā€™d say comes fireweed, sowthistles, minors lettuce/candy flower/chickweed (other succulents), cattail, rushes, and rosehips on the learning curve. So on. But honestly non of these Iā€™d call weeds regularly, but only sometimes when they get in MY way of encouaging the growth of a species I favor to plant.

Iā€™d say that grassesā€“especially wheat, corn and riceā€“get plenty of play in civilization already.

Like spinach, fuji imported apples, tostitos, brocoli, jasmin rice, dole banannas, and iceburge lettuce. I donā€™t think so; not enough! I meant to speak of the wild variety as to join in with the conversation 100%; the wild grasses growing wildly with the wild dandelion, lambsquarter and so on. Not raised for the checkout stand herd! Raised for the wild buffet connoisseur! I mean wild oats, wild rice, wild wheat, wild barely; wild grasses! The whole shabang of wildable forage! Which gets often over looked and underetimated even by the best of us traditional educators, Iā€™d say because, you know, the dominating educational program.

Not to mention even the pigs like the stuff!

8)

Yeah, they get play, but not the wild ones. Not even dandelion in most casses in civ. BUT WANT ABOUT PLAY IN THE REWILDING COMMUNITY???

Raised for the wild buffet connoisseur! I mean wild oats, wild rice, wild wheat, wild barely; wild grasses!

You wonā€™t find me in that lineā€¦ I donā€™t have the stomach for it (without processing) and I have the modern knowledge that the first people to eat that stuff didnā€™t have.

After time of practice, practice practice I believe processing skills develop, they have for me.

Oh, and no line as far as I know! Come and go as you please! :slight_smile:

Mods: In responds to [quote=ā€œFenriswolfr, post:11, topic:327ā€][quote] Raised for the wild buffet connoisseur! I mean wild oats, wild rice, wild wheat, wild barely; wild grasses! [/quote]

You wonā€™t find me in that lineā€¦ I donā€™t have the stomach for it (without processing) and I have the modern knowledge that the first people to eat that stuff didnā€™t have.[/quote]

I suppose if I was absolutely starvingā€¦

There you go! :smiley:

Weed. :slight_smile:

Apathy. ::slight_smile: