Wapato Recipes

been meaning to post for some time now…

due to the LARGE number of “Home Recipes” The Edible Wild has, I’m only going to list the titles along with an indicator of “Paleolithic-ness”. if anyone wants the full recipe, let me know and I’ll post it.

[size=10pt][b]"In the Bush"[/b][/size] [b]As a Raw Vegetable[/b] The tubers can be eaten raw with salt, but they taste better cooked.

As a Cooked Vegetable I like them wrapped in green leaves and put into the coals of the campfire, where I leave them for 1 hour to roast. I usually put as many as I can into the fire, and what I don’t eat immediately I later make into a salad.

As a Salad The salad is easy to prepare. Peel the tubers and slice them in 1/4-inch slices. Put them into a bowl or a cup made out of birch bark. Mix with wild honey and wild leeks which have been finely chopped. If I have any fat, I usually put some into the mixture.

[size=10pt]“Home Recipes”[/size]
[b]Arrowhead Root Pancakes*

Arrowhead Tubers with Anchovy*~

Caramelized Arrowhead Tubers

Arrowhead Tubers in Parsley Sauce

Arrowhead Roots with Salt Pickerel and Onions~

Arrowhead Root Balls Filled with Bacon*

Arrowhead Pancakes*

Sailors’ Stew with Arrowhead Tubers*[/b] (This recipes doesn’t call for flour, however it does call for beer or ale, I’m sure an equitable substitute could be made, but I’m flagging it “grain” anyway)

[b]Chocolate Arrowhead Tuber Cake*

My Favorite Arrowhead Tuber Casserole*

Arrowhead Pancakes with Chives*

Arrowhead Soup with Cucumbers~

Arrowhead Hash[/b]

• calls for at least 1 cup of grains, usually flour.
    ~ calls for at least 1 cup of dairy, usually milk or cream