The giving season

What do you plan to give in the giving season?

Does anyone have any wild stories of making wild crafts into bonafide presents?

Is anyone doing anything wild and crazy, like sharing skills rather than goods?

I am finding the desire to ask what my friends/family would really want from me. Is it time? Compassion? Empathy? Fun? Our plan is to give to our loved ones that which they want more of: us. This is the first year I’ve really had it SO much that I’m considering not giving my own kids (who get more presents than any kid should at their dad’s house) presents other than my time or energy or attention.

My other reasoning for this (especially with the kids), is an observation that parents tend to use ‘special occasions’ to ignore their kids desires the rest of the year. 6 months is a long time for a kid, and to have them wait for something they want/need until that time seems to set up for a strange perception of stuff. Stuff is just stuff, so if we really need stuff, why not get it when we need it? Why make kids prioritize 6 mo’s to a year of wanting into christmas and birthday receiving? If we are going to wean ourselves off of our dependency on stuff, we have to stop giving it its very own day of worship!!

Thanks for asking such a great question. :slight_smile:

STarr