The chestnut tree

I wasn’t sure if i should have posted this in media reviews but i think it’s more appropriate here.

i’m currently reading Man’s Search for Meaning, by Victor E. Frankl.
it’s not really much of a “rewilding book” but is an account of life in the concentration camps of nazi germany.

Any how, there was a particular paragraph in this book where the author writes about the way people met death in the horrible living conditions of the concentration camps and how they reflected on their lives at the time of their death, that struck me. He writes about a young girl whose death he witnessed and her last words before she died. Here it is:

"This young woman knew that she would die in the next few days. But when I talked to her she was cheerful in spite of this knowledge. “I am grateful that fate has hit me so hard” she told me. “In my former life I was spoiled and did not take spiritual accomplishments seriously.” Pointing through the window of the hut, she said, “This tree here is the only friend I have in my loneliness.” Through that window she could see just one branch of a chestnut tree, and on the branch were two blossoms. “I often talk to this tree,” she said to me. I was startled and didn’t quite know how to take her words. was she delirious? Did she have occasional hallucinations? Anxiously I asked her if the tree replied. “yes.” What did it say to her? She answered, “It said to me, ‘I am here - I am here - I am life, eternal life.’”

Frankl didn’t go on to try and make sense of what the girl said or what she had experienced in context to her situation. maybe he didn’t know. in any case, It seemed pretty clear to me. this is what i think: in her last moments of life, the girl had had a conversation with an other-than-human, a chestnut tree that had comforted her and shown her the interconnectedness of life and death and how all life is really part of a greater “eternal life”, that no life really ceases to exist but continues to manifest itself in other forms of existence eternally.

i guess this would make more sense to someone who has read the book.
sorry about the randomness of this post but i felt pretty inspired and needed an outlet for my thoughts. :stuck_out_tongue:

thunder thighs,

i guess this would make more sense to someone who has read the book. sorry about the randomness of this post but i felt pretty inspired and needed an outlet for my thoughts.

I read Frankl’s book well over two years ago now. The quote that you posted really resonated with me when I read it too. I often think about that young woman’s story to this day.

Thank you for bringing it up.

Curt

no prob.

it’s kind of funny, but that paragraph taught me how to converse with other-than-humans. i had read Derrick Jensen’s A Language Older than Words and was trying to figure out what people meant when they “spoke” with other-than-humans. but then i read this, and something clicked. the next couple of days i began to more or less hear all conversations going on around me and the all the voices speaking to me! i feel pretty awesome about it but don’t understand why i never noticed it before.

thanks for listening, Curt. ;D

thunder thighs-

i make you honorary grand moderator of all rewildland for the next hour.

i feel so happy reading your story. :smiley:

[quote=“Willem, post:4, topic:792”]thunder thighs-

i make you honorary grand moderator of all rewildland for the next hour.

i feel so happy reading your story. :D[/quote]

sweet! :slight_smile: