Tents

AT the moment i have a one-person light-weight tent for those times when i travel alone (not nearly often enough sadly). Im also trying to find a good tent for me and my partner to travel together. We’re planning to walk trough the Ardennes. What should i look for in a tent?

A good raincover, various sized stakes, no unclosable mesh on the walls or cieling, and make sure its easy to construct, with few small parts (wouldnt want to lose something essential when it gets dark now would we?). my two shells on that one…

It’s also a good idea to spend a few bucks on some sort of seam sealant. My tent used to always get some sort of moisture inside, until I sealed off the seams.

check out rayjardine.com. My roommate got his tarp kit, it’s real light, cheaper than a nice tent, and wont give you any problems with condensation.

you do have to sew it yrself though.

I used one of Henry Shire’s tarp-tents on my Appalachian Trail thru-hike this year. I have the Contrail model, it weighs 1.5 lbs and works wonderfully. I started my hike using just a 10oz Golite poncho tarp for shelter and while that will usually do the job, I found it a lot less fun to spend time under the poncho than in an actual tent with room to sit up, a floor to keep the mud out, and mosquito mesh. I might pick up one of the Gatewood Capes made by Six Moon Designs, a floorless tent that doubles as a poncho and weighs 13 ounces.

Have you thought about or ever tried hammock camping? I, personally, find it far superior to tents. Plus, easier to guerilla camp too.