Sweat Lodges

So yesterday I was in a class called “Primitive Living and Native American Folk-Lore.” It was the last day of the class, and we had plans to create a sweat lodge. A Native American sweat lodge was used as a phyisical healing tool, as well as a deeply spiritual ritual. Before the day of a sweat lodge, Native Americans would fast for up to a week. They would then use the sweat lodge to cleanse their bodies. And after their bodies were as pure as possible, they would go out to hunt. I think the sweat lodge idea is a wonderful way to get all of the toxins and bad things in our bodies out. It also feels invigorating.

The concept behind making a sweat lodge is to make an air-tight structure. We strung a rope between two trees and then draped a tarp over it. Then, you heat rocks for a long period of time over a fire. Make sure the rocks arn’t wet, because then they will explode when they get hot. Once you think the rocks are hot enough, then put the rocks into a bowl. Take the bowl and bring it into the sweat lodge and then, making sure the tarp is air-tight, pour water on it. It’s also a good idea to have two batches of rocks incase the first gets cold too fast. You should stay in the sweat lodge for at least 10 minutes, even though the Native Americans would stay in it for a whole day sometimes. And then, after you come out, I recommend jumping in cold water, e.g. a cold stream.

But anyways, my point is, yesterday I had a bad cold, and then today, after the sweat lodge, it’s completely gone and I feel so clean and heathy. I fully recommend it, even if you’re not trying to rewild.

Has anyone here had any experiences with sweat lodges?

I’ve done that before with saunas. Really nice and steamy, then a jump in a frozen lake. (You cut a hole in the ice before starting the sauna.) Or alternatively you can roll in the snow.

There’s really nothing like it for feeling clean and enlivening the senses. I’ve never tried it with fasting before … that would be a trip. I almost think it would be too much. There are so many toxins in our bodies now; it’s very intense already and I even get dizzy sometimes. I’m not sure if that has more to do with toxin levels, or if I’m making the sauna too hot and going to (quite literally) extremes.

I hate to be super-nit-picky, but that’s how I am about some things. So I have to ask, which Native Americans?

Some things about traditional sweats that probably apply most places.

Before I go to a sweat I talk to whoever is leading it. If it’s a new lodge for me and I don’t know already, I ask them what tradition they run the ceremony in. I ask them how they recieved the right to run that lodge and who they got it from. Might sound a bit awkward but really as a person attending a lodge you have every right to know those things. Most legitimate sweat leaders will tell you. There are many different traditions, no generic Native American Sweat Lodge. Some traditions require a person to sundance for four years before leading a sweat for people. I have heard of a tradition that requires a person to fast for each of the ribs of their lodge before they can pour. Regardless, it is a right/privilege that is passed on from ones elders. A lodge and leader should have a lineage.

If it sounds vague or like it’s a mix of traditions I usually will leave or not participate. Even if it’s a straight traditional lodge but it’s a tradition that doesn’t fit well with what I follow, I will skip it.
You should know why you are going there. You should bring tobacco to give the leader and be able to tell them why you want to sweat. Not only will it help you to have a focus in the ceremony but it will help the leader to know what kind of things people are coming to the lodge with.
For me sweats are about praying and healing, and traditional lodges are for that. So if you have a problem with the idea of prayer, sweat lodges are probably not the place for you.

If you attend a lodge more than once or even only once, and you can afford to donate some cash it will most likely be appreciated. Maintaining a lodge takes a lot of effort, time and money, for firewood, tarps/covers, snow removal (if you are in that kind of climate), tools, gas money for wood runs and saw maintanance. A leader who charges money or has a set fee is not the kind that I work with. But donations are always welcomed and you should be as generous as you can.

Ask ahead of time what is appropriate to wear in the lodge. Don’t feel like you have the right to dress (or not) how you want. I’ve known leaders who sent people out to get properly dressed. Particularly in mixed men/women sweats.

Respect the firekeeper/doorman. Often they are very knowlegable and are in training. Do what they say as far as behaviour around the fire and lodge. They work very hard and are an integral part of the ceremony. If you have the chance to do that job for a traditional elder or at a ceremony such as sundance, it is a real privilege. Do what your told, no more, no less, when you are told to do it. Don’t expect a lot of please and thank you’s though.

This is a way of life not just a cool thing to do and it should be approached that way.

1 Like