Spicebush

so, use as a tea & as an allspice alternative i’ve seen pretty often, but after finding this on Brill’s on Common Spicebush page:

Addenda:

Paula Morgan notified me that country folk used to tenderize game and reduce its rankness by laying it on fresh spicebush twigs. They’d also use it to tenderize the meat of old roosters.

As a vegetarian, this inspires me to experiment with spicebush twigs as part of a marinade to tenderize middle-aged chicken mushrooms or black-staining polypores, which tend toward toughness.

I’ll also try adding them to a pot of beans, to see if they get soft faster. Even if that doesn’t work, it should add to the flavor.

and this recipe for bear steak, i’m wondering if it’s even more useful as a preparation for gamey meat…?

anyone have any experience using spice bush for this? i wonder if it makes a good replacement for brining possums or raccoons…

if this site is to be trusted, then it looks like spicewood (spice bush??) was used by the Cherokee to remove the “wild taste” for at least raccoons & groundhogs:
http://www.angelfire.com/ok4/oukah7/#RECIPES

also, i found it interesting that possum would sometimes be cooked on sassafras sticks…