Some nut or fruit tree seeds from Boreal Climate?

Could someone send me some seeds from Boreal Climate nut trees? I’m living in Finland and I got an idea that maybe you in Canada or Northern USA have some good species there?

Some pines at least produce big seeds and also there’s Juglans. About fruit trees I don’t know… melanchier alnifolia, serviceberry or saskatoon is one i know but we have it here already brought from USA…

American ginger! That would be great to have, cause we haven’t any ginger growing here…

kettuvaloinen
(you know any russian rewild sites?)

Doesnt Finland have edible plants? Introducing too many nonnatives into an ecosystem will leave it a wasteland after a while.

Yes we have, but we lack especially nut trees… Many of our good food producing plants are from Siberia, like sembra pine. Manchurian juglan is other we have… Hassel nut grows only in the South. Saskatoon is from North-America also Echinachea varieties. They don’t spread in our nature.

That’s important thing to have information about how it spreads in nature and how invasive. I wouldn’t bring normal plants that we have also here, 'cause the stronger will overcome the other…

American ginger would be great to have as spice, cause we haven’t any ginger… Juglans also would be nice 'cause we haven’t them either…

I’m glad you have a good grasp on plant invasiveness. However, it seems to me that the farther north one is, the less important plants become and the more important animal food is. If I were in a very northern place, I would focus much more on hunting or elk herding than any plant food source. Tree nuts are great, but do you need them, really?

Well, first I am not so north, actually I’m in the last area where you can grow well enough. And I am going to do forest gardening where that wild ginger would be good… And last if you eat only meat you get bored to it, sámi people did use a lot of wild plants too. Also in Siberia they use nut from sembra.

[quote=“kettuvaloinen, post:1, topic:1285”]kettuvaloinen
(you know any russian rewild sites?)[/quote]
I don’t know any russian ones but here is a Swedish site that has links to other sites http://www.vildvaxande.org/index_eng.html and http://livingprimitively.com/ about Torus Gaaren’s experiance in Norway. Hope you find these useful.

Pine nuts from the Siberian stone pine are an important seasonal food source for many Russians living in forests dominated by this tree. A good book to read regarding the use of these pine nuts as a food source is “Lost in the Taiga” by Vassili Peskov.

A large chestnut tree can support an entire tribe with food and vitamine C! American chestnut grows slightly faster then european, but I would go for european anyway just to keep it native. From seed it will take 30+ years before it starts to produce, but you can graft it onto an oak root and cut that time down to ca 5 years.