Slings

Does anyone else use a sling? I’ve gotten back up to around 6 hits out of 10 throws against a 40cm or so target at 25 meters. Its fun but, i just don’t see how to use it for hunting. The sling gets tangeled up on any nearby trees or brush and the suden movement startles any animals that may be within range. Birds (mostly crows) on the wing invariably dodge, and after a few days my wrist smarts more than it does after aikido class. Does anyone have any solutions to these problems?

Please don’t direct me to slinging.org. I’ve known of it for several years, longer in fact than many of its moderators, and have exhausted its potential.

I made one a couple months ago. I can’t really say I have the hang of it, though I have to admit to not practicing that much. As easy as it might be to put together, it’s a lot harder to learn to use than a bow. I’ll stick with that.

takes lots of practice, patience and a little intuition i think, cause there isn’t any real way to “aim” like a bow or a gun.

hunting practicality comes in on the size rock you can hurl, i was making my slings out of braided rawhide with large holding space for rocks the size of a small ladies fist or so. i was pretty accurate at 30 yrds. anything past that was just luck.

never tried to hunt anything with it, but i would imagine if you got good with it, hitting a animal in the head with a fist size rock goin in excess of 150mph would knock it down/ daze if not outright kill it.

turkey too, something like that would just smash it’s innards all to bits. would make for sloppy eating, but it’s still good.

on technique i seen people use all kinds of throws, the one i favor is over head horizontal spin, then you bring it down, and step into it, like a pitcher throws a baseball, very fast, pretty accurate.

also experimented with a over head horizontal that released underhand, kinda like throwin a frisbee, or trying to skip a rock off a pond. this throw has a lower arc/approach, i felt would be more appropriate for killing small game.try those.

but the rock should be going really fast, 10x faster than you could ever pitch it. if it’s not, the dimensions/physic-engineering of the sling are off. i bet there’s ratios out there for length, pot size, rock weight, etc. i just dinked around till i got one working wicked fast.