Seaweed

I forget where we were discussing heavy metal detox but this might be of interest to some people. Seems more research has gone into it than the cilantro thing:

Seaweed may be especially important for people in the modern age because of its ability to protect us from damage caused by toxic elements in the environment, including heavy metals and some types of radiation byproducts. Rosalie Bertell, M.D., president of the International Institute of Concern for Public Health in Toronto, believes that seaweed can help pull dangerous heavy metals out of the body. Research at McGill University in Montreal has shown that sodium alginate, a derivative of wakame, binds with radioactive strontium 90 in the body, allowing it to be excreted. Strontium 90 is considered the most dangerous component of atomic fallout.

Ernest J. Sternglass, Ph.D., professor emeritus in Radiation Physics at the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, explains how strontium adversely affects health: “When radioactivity, spread from nuclear waste dumps or fallout from other nuclear facilities, gets into the drinking water, gets into the milk and gets into the vegetables, it lodges in our bone. It goes through the food chain and concentrates. As a result, materials like strontium [produce] an internal radiation throughout our body, [irradiating] the whole bone marrow where the cells of the immune system originate.” These internal doses of radiation can weaken the immune defenses of the body needed for fighting disease. In fact, many herbalists recommend adding some seaweed to the diet for a period of time if you plan on having X-rays taken, to encourage the excretion of any radiation products left by the treatment.

from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0820/is_n236/ai_19255451/print

I’d have also thought the high iodine content helps dilute/flush the radioactive iodine-131 that concentrates in the thyroid and makes it cancerous (big problem around Chernobyl)…

I like raw bladder wrack seaweed. Trés tasty. ;D

Sea weed is wonderful ! I gather it from our near- by beach and spread it about my veggie garden . :slight_smile: Sea weed contains nutrients and as yet not fully understood minerals… which are so good for replenishing the soil and feeding all my vegetables …in turn to feed me !