Salt

Not sure which forum would be the right one for this question but…

We have been toying with idea of getting our salt from the local bay and were wondering if anyone out there has ever desalinated sea water to get their salt. How much salt do you get from five gallons of water? Any tips? This seems pretty simple but it seemed worth asking.

I have found salt before in the cracks in rocks at the shore, but never actively tried to dry it.

food does have all the salt you need, especially if your eating from an ocean. think of how rare the use of salt was until recently.

Some plants of the genus Atriplex accumulate salt from the soil. You can dry the leaves and crush them in your food as a seasoning. It’s not an exact substitute for salt, but provides it’s own salty-bitter flavor.

Again this is something I would like to know as well. Drying and keeping stuff dry in the rainforest seems like quite the task. I’m hoping to ferment much of our food and want salt to do this with. Seems like a summer time thing though, so you can use the sun and not worry about burning the salt at the end of a boil.

This is not necessarily a response to TrollSplinter, but I’d like to add regarding Atriplex that if drying is not an option, you could always burn it and use the ashes.

burn what, the salt water? I heard that produces chlorine gas. don’t actually know anything for sure though, please tell me more.