Salt

Does anyone have any salt gathering techniques to share?

1 Like

get salt water and let it sit and evaporate in trays then gather the salt left behind.In Maui we gathered salt right off of the lava rocks at the ocean edge.

1 Like

And you can just eat it like that? You don’t have to do anything else to it?

I ate it off the rocks just like that.It was salty mmmmm

Is it possible in any way to gather salt if you’re inland, like perhaps in the Great Plains? Or do you just have to live without it.

1 Like

Ai know that certain plants that live in salty areas concentrate salt in or on their leaves. The only ones ai know specifically are Salt Grass (Distichlis spicata), which condences salt onto its leaves, to cope with high salt levels in the water it lives off of (usually); Salt Bush (Atriplex species), which concentrates salt in its edible leaves and Pickle Weed (Salicornia species), which is similar in this regard to salt bush. Both saltgrass and pickleweed live almost exclusively by the ocean or salt marshes, though saltgrass can live in semi-arid places. However, saltbushes are pretty widely distributed inland.
There’s gotta be some way of getting salt from animal parts.

1 Like

In some areas of the highlands in New Guinea, people will collect a bunch of banana leaves, bring them up to a salt spring, soak them, dry them, and then burn the leaves and keep the ashes. The ashes are then sprinkled on foods as a flavoring.

1 Like

I’ve heard ash from coltsfoot leaves makes a salty seasoning to sprinkle in your cooking–haven’t tried it yet, though. You can find western coltsfoot pretty easily around here in Cascadia, or eastern coltsfoot on the east coast.

Not sure about how far south, though–it doesn’t strike me as a Florida kind of plant, starfish. . . :-\

1 Like

Fortunately, I live close to the beach :P. I just worry about pollution, red tide, etc.

Pollution is everywhere.You are just as polluted as your land base. I used to worry alot about toxins being all around me.I feel more alive now that I am letting that all go.

1 Like