Rewild in Boise (Well Maybe)

We had a sorta rewild camp in Boise last weekend. More of a primitive skill share where we all came up with a skill to share and shared it. Meant a lot research and a lot of failures in getting it ready to go, but all in all a great time. No pictures from me (I participated too much and forgot my camera) though one of the guy’s wife was wandering around with a video camera. If I can snag one of those I will put it up.

We are thinking about giving it another go towards the end of the month. If anyone is interested let me know. We are doing it in a friend’s back yard and I do not have permission to advertise his address to the world, but if you send me a message I would happy to give you the details. (As we figure them out.) We are far from experts, so bring what you got and we would be happy to learn and share.

Hey Joe! That’s awesome. That would be great if you got some video of it. I know what you mean about it being more of a primitive skills gathering. That’s sort of the same with the rewild camp here in Portland. I’m trying to figure out how to make it more animist base… a constant struggle with everything I run. If you have any ideas please share them here!

Also, we’d love for you to introduce yourself in the introductions thread so that we all know you a little more. Looking forward to hearing your story! :smiley:

Well the next episode of rewilding in Boise has been set. We will be meeting at a friend’s place next Friday starting at 6pm. I don’t have permission yet to completely throw his address out into the internet, but if you are interested feel free to contact me at rewildboise(at)hotmail(dot)com and I will get you directions.

Also, Urban Scout, I have been thinking about your issue with trying to introduce animism into your rewild camps, and I think I have some ideas. I just need to get them coherent enough to put up here. Stay tuned…

Adding animism to a primitive skills gathering

I did a lot of deep thinking about this subject and went into the archives of Urbanscout.org and read up on what Animism was. I even went back into my class notes from a Magic, Witchcraft and religion class I took a little while ago.

The more I thought about it and the more I conceived of ways to introduce this concept into a rewild camp, the more I started to realize that I’m not sure it can be brought out on any large scale. I came to conclusion as I considered all the reasons people came to the first rewild night here in Boise. Some people came just because these are cool things to learn, others came because they wanted better survival skills, and some came because they really want to rewild. If I went all woo woo on them I probably would just have people decide to never come again, and I want more people coming to the Boise Rewild camp, not less.

That doesn’t mean that we can’t introduce some of the more practical parts of animism to people. We don’t have to label it as animism. For example, I know that I talk quite a bit about responsibility. We have a responsibility to the land and to the animals etc. I am right now doing a lot of teaching on making cordage. (Even if I am quite new to it.) I warn people that it is a bad idea to strip a yucca plant bare so they can make LOTS of cordage. Not just because you may be taking it from someone else’s yard and they may notice you stealing from their yard, but also that it’s irresponsible to the plant. We need to take only what we need and not waste. While this isn’t directly animist, it is an animist behavior that I am trying to instill into people.