Remembering Our Ceremonies with Respect to the Elders

Came across this blog the other day and really liked it. I’m going to post it in the cultural appropriation thread as well since it relates, but wanted to give it its own topic here in the Visions of the Rewilding Renaissance thread as well.

http://www.ancestralacupuncture.com/blog-2/2014/8/19/hutdvzq2nfl7wl1wdsys5mu8d6bnhx

as a young boy I recall going to what my dad called Scottish games, with my aunts and uncles and cousins along with my dads other relalitves, the games were funand traditional, the stories were fun and bloody and left one in awe, lots of talk of old gods and rituals. All of my relatives spoke with a scottish burr… I really miss them , they are all gone now. I find myself in an odd place I am the oldest male in the family close and extended. I try to take some of them back to those times with the stories I remember . I realize I know things they do not, even about their own parents and beliefs. This thanksgiving I am having a crew of them here for 4 days and have set up some games and folk stories to tell. I look as good as I can in my kilt and all the gear. The kilt was my grandfathers … he died before I was born , never knew him but the stories are amazing. I try to impart at least a bit of the Gallic traditions …

good article , subject matter matters

Dude

Hi Dude, I would really love to hear more about the talk of old gods and rituals you remember from your Dad’s generation of Scottish games. I’m working on connecting with my Scottish-Gaelic heritage, but there is a gap of 2 generations between me and the ancestors who had any real connection with Gaelic culture.

My 3x great grandfather, his brother, and his youngest son were very involved with Scottish-immigrant culture in New Zealand, they played the pipes, wore kilts, and attended the Caledonian games. Even my great-grandmother spoke Gaelic growing up, but married a lowlander and they raised their kids in English only. By my granddad’s generation, Scotland was a fairly distant concept, and it was of fairly little interest to my dad (who is half-Scottish by descent). It is so sad to see how much can be lost in the short space of 2 generations.