Raw meat

I just ate a handful of raw lamb and some raw snapper. nom nom nom

Surprisingly tasty and something I’d never contemplated doing in the past !

it was probably bad idea, and im likely to die of something now, but we will see… I’ll post something here if i start dieing, so you know to be more cautious if you ever try it :stuck_out_tongue:

Actually, I was reading this just earlier, its good read about raw meats…
http://www.wysong.net/controversies/rawmeat.shtml

Just try your best to ignore the self-advertising by the guy writing it >.<

I eat mostly raw meat. It comprises about 85% of my diet as well as other raw fats. I’ve not been this healthy since I was 10 years old, I recommend it to anyone interested in improving their health.

If you want any help with raw eating give me a shout!

Ryan

Nice Ryan !

I do have a question: Do you only eat refridgerated meat etc ?

Or have you eaten food thats not “so” fresh…

I have eaten some rather ripe raw meat but nothing like you see on shock tv where it’s purple and green with mold and maggots on it…I’m not quite there yet :wink: I don’t just eat this way because of the health benefits I actually prefer most raw meat to cooked, with a few exceptions…nothing like quality asado meat over an open fire! Some meats taste better than others when they’re raw and ripe, some worse. For example I don’t care for chicken too far past it’s expiration date, it gets a rather bitter taste. But beef that is a bit older is not bad at all.

There are ways of letting meat age in the fridge as well. For example is some good grass fed beef liver I left in a well sealed container far past it’s due date and instead of being disgusting it was just verrrrrry sweet, not like chocolate but in a different way. It was so rich though I could only eat a little bit at a time, definitely not bad though by any means.

I now eat most of my meats raw plain just as they are or if it’s something like ground beef that does not have much flavor to it at all I will add a dash of sea salt and maybe some jerk spices to it or whatever floats my boat.

I know you asked for a sip and I gave you a gulp but there it is anyway. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Ryan

Thanks for that, I was having a bit of a brain crisis there - having been taught all my life that it has to be fresh/frozen etc.

So eating meats when they start to ferment a bit is quite alright eh.

I’m interested in raw meats more out of interest.

I’ve been reading alot of chimps catching and eating smaller primates/marsupials etc and they eat them raw. And If humans havn’t really changed much since the discovery of fire then how did we eat meat before fire ?

Most likely raw. Hense my decision to start doing this

Just remember, that fillet mignon that costs so much at the restaurant started off as a rather mediocre piece of meat until it was aged. Aging can do wonders, and if any civilized jerk tries to tell you otherwise, just remind them of how fillet mignon is made.

http://activenocarber.myfreeforum.org/index.php

I should mention that if you are going to get in to eating raw on the reg there’s a few guidelines with which to look for when purchasing meat…

All animals should be free range, organic, hormone and antibiotic free, regardless of variety.

If it is a ruminant (cow, sheep, goat, etc) it should be 100% grass/forage fed. They were not meant to eat grains on a regular basis if at all. The vitamins in the milk and meat come from the chlorophyll in the vegetation, corn husks alone are not good either.

If it’s pig it should be fed a variety of foods, they have a digestive system similar to ours.

Poultry should be allowed to forage for bugs, seeds and vegetation, some supplementation with organic grains is ok.

Fish should be wild caught, not farmed, same with shellfish. If what I’ve read is correct mercury is not dangerous when unheated but is when cooked.

I would not recommend raw wild animals when they’re in any kind of proximity to civilization, but raw in the wild is A ok. In fact the most delicious piece of meat I’ve ever eaten was wild turkey liver right out of the bird.

Just use common sense and you should be golden!

Ryan

Great to know, thanks! I’m freaked out about mercury in fish (in Minnesota, most lakes have a pretty strict limit about the “safe” level of fish to eat, and mercury contamination is no joke). When I was about 16 and I learned how rarely I could eat fish from the lake, it really bothered me.

I’m not sure I would want to eat panfish or walleyes raw, though. When you talk about fish, do you mean all fish, or certain kinds (like salmon and tuna and the other fishes/seafood used for sushi)? Is it ALL good raw, or is some of it dangerous and/or not very appetizing when raw?

This conversation is totally tripping me out. Thanks for starting this thread!

For my own personal practice I do not distinguish between freshwater and saltwater fauna. As long as the source is relatively isolated from major industrialization eg. trout from a stream or lake that has no farmland bordering it, salmon, walley from lake of the woods, sole, tuna, halibut, flounder, shrimp, lobster, scallops from the sea, ocean.

Of course if they are caught near an area of the ocean where a factory is dumping waste in to them, not so good, but if they are deep sea fish you’re pretty safe. As long as we purchase out food instead of producing or catching it ourselves we have to accept our lack of control… another great reason for rewilding!

Ryan

Speq it’s lucky for me you mentioned clean meat, but its a definite problem for me at the moment - purchased food.

Since I live in the center of the city I’d need to drive an hour or so to the nearest non-farmland/industrial areas.

Not saying I couldn’t, but I dont drive and taxis are expensive and buses don’t go there.

I better stop eating this stuff raw for now, I’ll definitely be looking into finding some cleaner meat when I get back from holiday.

Urban - I’m surprised that you haven’t tried this yourself ?!

While I’ve had my fair share of odd meats (roadkill, etc) I have never eaten them raw, aside from sushi. My mom is a germ freak so I was raised with raw phobia and still have it. Hearing these stories has smashed a lot of that phobia. I’m very curious to try some myself.

I’ve eaten steak raw, while experimenting with "Instinctive Eating" many years ago. It actually tastes delicious. The anopsologists (see previous link) experience that humans like meat slightly aged, which implies a past wherein our taste buds evolved under a scavenger lifeway. If you know about carcass succession stages, and the birds/mammals/insects/etc. that prefer each particular stage, this says some interesting things about us human peeps.

My father also probably still eats pieces of steak raw now and then; he thinks cooking “ruins the flavor”.

I prefer to eat meat that is cooked rare to the point of being almost raw but I do also prefer it to be hot. Cold raw meat just doesn’t do it for me. I’ve eaten pieces of deer meat raw when I was butchering. Just not my thing.
By the way, filet mignon is actually made from one of the choicest and tenderest pieces on the animal.
My personal opinion (everyone has one) on aging meat is that it doesn’t make it that much more tender, or change the flavor that much. What it does do, is make the meat easier for your body to digest and get the most out of it.

Living in Japan have the opportunity to eat lots of different raw meats beef (of course), horse, deer, bear, chicken, and once whale ( just to “try it”.)

The important thing safety-wise when eating raw meat is less, I think if it is 100% “organic” and free range (though I whole heartedly think this is needed for sustainability reasons), but more the way the animal is slaughtered - namely, that it is kept clean.

I would not eat raw meat or eggs purchased from a supermarket unless it is labeled as being meant for raw consumption as “regular” meat may have fallen onto the floor or been cut with a blade that has touched feces or some other surface with harmful bacteria.

Usually I get the beef from the cattle farmer down the road from me. He sends it away to a special slaughterhouse for high-end meat to make sure of this. As for the wild meat - raw deer is amazing, especially the liver. Often when the hunters come back and are cleaning the catch, they cut up the liver right there on the spot and partake.

The problem bastish is that first off the kind of foods that are being fed to a certain animal effect the fat and vitamin contents as well as hormone levels. When cattle are fed soy, which is a major feed component on most farms they are loaded with phytoestrogens. While this is not a big deal in very small amounts it is harmful in the long run. Not to mention soy is processed with nasties like benzene. Further more animals that are fed grains tend to be feed lot animals, IOW they spend most of their life in their own shit next to other diseased animals, which leads to the need for injected antibiotics and hormones to keep the animals “healthy”. As if all that isn’t bad enough those same conditions are completely inhumane, and we owe the animals we are going to eat a little better than that.

Also in regards to ‘bad bacteria’, the philosophy behind raw eating is that there really is not such thing. It is all just plain bacteria. This includes parasites and viruses as well. They are the bodies digesters and cleaners, and they only become dangerous when we try and wage all out (and hopeless) warfare on them, starving our bodies of these beneficial bugs and making ourselves susceptible to otherwise benign helpers.

The important point of raw eating is FAT, it is the most beneficial item our bodies can get, binding with toxins, heavy metals, etc and carrying them out of the body. The war Americans have made on fat is due, as usual, to faulty science, in this case it began in 1953 by one “Dr.” Ancel Keys.

Here are a few articles on the claims I’ve made in this post:

Why grass fed free range animals:
http://www.eatwild.com/basics.html

Fat article on MSNBC
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22116724

There’s a whole lot more that would probably turn everyone’s world upside down and I don’t think I’ll say it all at once in the hopes of not coming off as a loon!

Ryan

Thanks for the links Speqtuer. There was some new information in there, as well as some things I hadn’t thought about for a while. I agree with you that if you are going to make raw (or cooked) beef a major part of your diet you should be eating grass fed beef. I was coming from the point of view of someone who rarely eats meat, or is just trying out raw meat.

For me, the health effects of eating my neighbors beef, which I know is fed corn (bad), as well as hay, are negligible compared to the environmental effects of finding 100% grass fed beef. I also know that while they are not free-range, they are not in huge feedlots and are handled with some degree of respect and consideration. Because I do not rely on meat for my well being, I worry more about how the animal was treated (and I know that a diet of corn or soy has negative effects on the animals health), and what negative effects it caused to the environment.

As for “bad” bacteria - I should have been more clear. I didn’t mean to condemn the bacteria itself as “bad”, in my view, it is just a creature in the world like you or me trying to do what it has evolved to do. I meant that people who want a pleasant experience from eating raw meant should be careful of organisms that can make humans feel very uncomfortable - and such organisms do exist - such as giardia (which I have experienced (though not from eating tainted meat), and parasites from raw river fish (which I have experienced) and just plain old “bad” clams (which I have experienced). Again, my advice was meant for what I thought was someone whose main diet would not consist of raw meat, and would have little ability to build up resistance that humans surely once had. The meat industry knows that people cook their meat, and they handle it carelessly as a result.

This is why I would never eat a hunk of raw ground beef from the supermarket. I do however, if offered in a situation where it would be rude to refuse, eat raw meat from the supermarket that was handled carefully with the expectation that people would be eating it raw.

I think your advice is completely applicable for anyone who intends to make meat a major component of their diet, be it raw or cooked. But if someone is not used to eating raw meat, I suggest not just getting a slab from the supermarket and digging in. Make sure you know the history - both what it was fed (if you will be eating a lot) and how carefully it was treated from the time it was killed to the time it reached your lips (especially if you only want to try it).

Awesome thread. Keep the info flowing.

Meanwhile…I’m off to grab a leg of possum out of the fridge and give it a go :slight_smile:

I ate the liver, heart, kidneys, spleen and lungs for breakfast this morning…but cooked it all. Maybe next time I’ll give some of it a go raw.