Question

i’m not quite sure how to state this or if i’ll be understood completely but i’m going to give it a shot anyways.

being at the tender age of eighteen, i know i’m going through what many kids my age are going through, a feeling of confusion and sort of a feeling of being lost with no real foreseeable future, at least not one that’s very appealing. i’m at a point in my life where i need to make a decision that will ultimately define my future, and that is go to college and get a job, not go to college and get a job, not get a job and straight up go the unjobbing path or possibly doing something completely different. i guess i’m at the point in my life where i can either start off on a good or a bad foot, like i said, i’m at a defining moment. but life within the confines of civilization seems dull and really, not very rewarding. on the other hand, it’s not very realistic for me to consider a life completely disconnected from civilization because (at least from what i gather) the process of rewilding isn’t a speedy one. in other words, a transition from a civilized life into a more wild existence means that we still have to live parts of our lives within civilization and make the transition gradual.
i know there was another topic on the importance of mentoring. i’d just like to restate how important i feel that is, especially for young people like me and especially because of the times we live in, the fuckedupededness of this culture and the brutal effect it has on us younger people in general. personally, a little guidance and wisdom would definitely be appreciated.
so any insights, knowledge or words of wisdom would really be appreciated. i guess the question is, where do i start and how do i take advantage of this point in my life to where i can devote most of my time to the continuing process of rewilding, making it a reality rather than just a dream?
like i said, at this point anything would be helpful.

Thanks

Only you can decide. Don’t try to please anybody else.

Find the four things that are most important to you. Be really honest. Not what sounds cool or would please any body but yourself. REALLY the four things that you feel are the most important things, most valuable to you at this point in your life.
Now start moving in that direction.

Ultimately there is no wrong answer to your question. Whatever you do will contribute to who you will be later.

I’m 50, if I look back, there is no way I could possibly have forseen the twists and turns my life would take. Whenever I feel a bit stuck I remember that. Life could take a dramatic unforseen change at any minute.

Nothing wrong with making plans. Just stay flexible and adaptable.

[quote=“thunder thighs, post:1, topic:464”]where do i start and how do i take advantage of this point in my life to where i can devote most of my time to the continuing process of rewilding, making it a reality rather than just a dream?

Thanks[/quote]

Sorry, fellow REWILDer, I can’t say; I donno. Thank you. :slight_smile:

where do i start and how do i take advantage of this point in my life to where i can devote most of my time to the continuing process of rewilding, making it a reality rather than just a dream?

There, where you are. Do it right now. Having said that, don’t forget to take care of yourself, and be compassionate towards other people. I know a lot of people who are good at walking the line. Ten years from now, you can be both someone your parents can be proud of, and someone you can be proud of. Victor certainly had much for all of us to ponder.

It’s scary, wanting a teacher, but not sure, after years of compulsory education, if there is someone who can fit your needs. When the student is ready, the teacher appears. Always be ready to learn. Look up, look down, look sideways. Right now, you are surrounded by teachers, if you can imagine that the computer screen itself has a lesson for us.

College is a great option if it’s free. Maybe you’ll want to earn your way into the world first instead of getting into debt.

That’s how they get you, they make you owe. Don’t owe anyone anything, but don’t be cut of from truly giving yourself, either. Learn how to get into trouble without getting caught, and stop for a minute and deeply think if you ever come to a fork in your roads.

I was 18 when Ishmael first hit me, too. After conferences, websites, long retreats, I finally found everything I was looking for. Can you believe once I found it, I put it into a bottle? Even the buddha knew his attachment to his family and loved ones would be his reminder of his humanity.

Have a great time, life is awesome! Oh, and do this one thing; see the world and meet lots of different people. It makes you a better, more compassionate person.

speaking of, if you’re in the appalachia area, you may want to look into berea college. tuition is free upon acceptance, tho’ there is mandatory work study and it’s nominally “christian” (but they don’t take that too seriously). all in all, it’s about as good a college as you could expect.

yep, and on a related note, watch the credit cards…

i’ve thought about it a little more and i guess it really isn’t as much about making a good or a bad choice as it is about making a choice. in the end, if i go the direction i feel like going i’ll probably end up somewhere around where i want to be.
i guess the main thing is just to keep going one step at a time and see where life takes me. thanks guys.

Well, if you do end up going to college, remember that you don’t have to forget about rewilding. With good time management and the right college (rural setting, or with a large arboraetum), you can do a lot of rewilding field work in your free time. Even extended camping trips over breaks…

P.S.

Actually, if you go in your felt direction you will end up where you want to be. Going in the direction you truly feel is right is never irresponsible or mistaken.

[quote=“jhereg, post:5, topic:464”][quote author=TonyZ link=topic=499.msg5277#msg5277 date=1192697082]
College is a great option if it’s free. Maybe you’ll want to earn your way into the world first instead of getting into debt.
[/quote]

speaking of, if you’re in the appalachia area, you may want to look into berea college. tuition is free upon acceptance, tho’ there is mandatory work study and it’s nominally “christian” (but they don’t take that too seriously). all in all, it’s about as good a college as you could expect.[/quote]

something else for Berea College, it’s been rated #7 on Sierra Club’s top 10 schools that “Get It”. so you might want to check out Berea’s Sustainability and Environmental Studies program. i don’t know anything more about it than what’s on the site (it didn’t exist when i went there).

Also, check out the Trackers Teams Immersion Program, instead of college:

http://trackersnw.com/html/pdx/immersion/adult_immersion.php

-emily

[quote=“Dream of Stars, post:10, topic:464”]Also, check out the Trackers Teams Immersion Program, instead of college:

http://trackersnw.com/html/pdx/immersion/adult_immersion.php

-emily[/quote]
BIG sigh! Too far for me. This looks like a great program, but way too far from my bioregion to be worth it… Anyone doing similar things in Arizona-SouthernCalifornia-SouthernNevada-NewMexico-NorthWesternMexico?