Pacific nw rewild tour 2009

Hey Friends,

My friend Patrick is organizing a rewild camp tour starting at the end of February 2009. I’m going to help him with this process by utilizing the rewild.info site and corresponding with regional organizers. My own attendance is rather ambiguous as my freelance job doesn’t give me any idea of what time/money I will have.

Here is a list of the cities he’s looking at right now:

* Tucson
* San Diego
* Los Angeles
* Santa Barbara
* Santa Cruz
* San Francisco
* Berkeley
* Arcata
* Ashland
* Eugene
* Portland
* Olympia
* Tacoma
* Seattle

Here is his letter:

Hello everyone,

Alright, so it’s my most ambitious project yet, but I’m hoping to pull together a big rewild tour up the west coast for next spring. It’s going to involve 1-3 day camps in a bunch of cities up the west coast. These camps will cover the basic premises of living wild, bringing together ancestral skills, martial arts, myth, movement, discussions, magic, wild food potlucks,  campfires with music etc, and maybe do a walkabout in each place, walking somewhere wild that is special to the place. Also, I’m interested in getting the tour to network different autonomous groups (i.e. getting food provided by food not bombs, talking to regional environmental groups about it, etc).

To be able to pull this off I’m going to need a lot of help, I need to have a regional organizer in each location that would be dedicated to making it happen, we also need folks who would be willing to travel and teach, or just to teach/share at the nearest location. We also need a veggie oil vehicle(?).

Please let me know if y’all have any ideas or want to help…

Patrick

hodaki7@hotmail.com

I’m officially helping out Patrick on this. If you have a place/group/skills to offer in or close to any of these cities, please say so here. Thanks!

I don’t have a group, place or skill to share, but I live in San Francisco. If there is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Couches/living room floors/guest bedrooms/penthouse suites to crash on/in would be great too!

There may be 6 of us travelling together!

Also, being a local coordinator/researcher would be great too.

Basically, someone I can call/e-mail that can give me the low-down on free parks in the areas. Someone who can answer my questions about particular spaces and maybe do a little research/marketing for me. i.e. I can write press releases/etc if you can tell me what local papers to send them to. Or what local websites to post it on (such as indymedia) or what local businesses would have employees interested in attending, etc. Basically I need information at each place to coordinate and attract people to the event.

Patrick has a lot of contacts too, but the more the merrier.

Ai’m in between LA and San Diego, if you need a stop off point. Room for about four people sleeping on couches and beds, numerous sleeping on the floor (but ai warn you, there are cats and dogs, if you are alergic). Or if you just want to hang out with me and mai friends… :wink: Between us, we know lots of wilderness areas within about fourty miles. Some within a few miles.

Hey everyone, thanks for your enthusiastic support!

So I’m changing it up a bit. I think Patrick may not have the time to do the whole coast anymore, so here is my change of plan:

I’m going to organize 4 different camps in the NW; Seattle, Olympia, Portland and Eugene. I’d love to come to Vancouver and make it 5 camps, pending on travel/gas time. (sorry Californians! Hopefully the year after next!)

Each camp will take place on over the weekend and we’ll be spread out over a month (with a week between each one so I can travel back to Portland). This way I won’t get the crazy road trip feeling, and people in each place will be able to get work off easier maybe.

The month/dates are TBD. I’d like to get my research done and save up some money to run these things before I figure out when I can pull it off.

Security Culture Alert:
I may/may not be filming this event. I’m trying to grow these gatherings outside of the normal anarcho-punk scene so I will be sending out press releases and papers may show up to take pictures. I know a lot of people are uncomfortable being photographed for security reasons, so keep that in mind if you want to attend. I will try to provide bandanas for people to cover their faces with (so as not to push away those super security conscious folks) but I’m not sure if I’ll be able to muster up the cash.

What I need:

1. I need some folks to help me with research in each location.

2. Specifically, I need to know where parks are that lie central to the city, have drinking fountains and bathrooms and a sheltered area.

3. I’ll need someone to tell me what all of the local papers/news channels are in town, and send me their websites. This is so I can send out press releases.

4. I need people who have skills to share for free/trade. The idea behind these events is to “unlock” the knowledge of how to live sustainably from the monetary economy, and build communities in the process. For more on that philosophy see my “Schooling Vs. Rewilding”
    http://www.urbanscout.org/schooling-vs-rewilding/

Skills can include really just about anything with a focus on rewilding; martial arts, story-telling, edible plants, primitive skills, etc. You get the idea!

1. I need 1 or 2 point people in each location to help with the organizational elements.

It sounds like some of you are interested in that, if so please send me an e-mail at urbanscout@gmail.com

Thank you so much!

if people are really that worried about it, and still want to come, i would suggest they bring their own bandana, and sunglasses, and a wig, and learn how to change their gait somehow.

but anyway, i will totally help you with seattle, as long as it’s not the few days surrounding feb 7th (sisters wedding).

PS, I just remembered that there is a big DIY skillshare going on in seattle the weekend of the 14th, so you may want to either coordinate with them, or do it at a different time.

Hey Man, Sorry I missed your show. I had a family engagement that went into over-time. :wink:

Now that I’ve got my computer back from the shop I’ll be sending you some e-mails!

Scout

[quote=“Urban Scout, post:10, topic:1075”]Hey Man, Sorry I missed your show. I had a family engagement that went into over-time. :wink:

Now that I’ve got my computer back from the shop I’ll be sending you some e-mails!

Scout[/quote]

no problem, it was fun anyway.

if you want to send me all the details that i’ll be needing to think about, that’d be awesome.

I’ve got the bare bones of the website up;

http://www.rewild.info/fieldguide/index.php?title=PNW_Rewild_Camp_Tour

Does anyone know if colleges in Eugene/Seattle have rewilding-like clubs? I’m looking for a way to fund this rewild camp tour and I think going through colleges might work out.

I tried to find stuff for seattle, but mostly Pleistocene Rewilding shit came up.

Hahaha.

How about college “nature adventure” clubs or wilderness awareness clubs or environmental studies clubs?

I’d look into Evergreen in Olympia too, I know there was a large group of people from there at the rewild camp last year, and I think the school would probably have some type of clubs around that area.

scout,
this is probably obvious (as in, you might have found this one yourself), but for eugene, try here:

i don’t live in eugene anymore but have spent some time there this season and it seems like there’s some new energy building for primitive skills – energy and desire that i was not there in the past.

i have a number of folks in the area who would be excited about. if you want their contacts, email me.

cricket

Yeah,

I’m already working with the Evergreen folks, and my contact in Eugene are those guys.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

cool, well, if you want any other folks who would probably be interested in helping you out, let me know. one person i know is connected with that eugene rewild group. others are not…
cricket

Thanks cricket! I’ll let you know when I hammer down the dates.