New Member Title System

We got a lot of great suggestions. I thought about trying to whittle them down and consolidate them somehow, but instead, I decided to just present them all to you and let you decide from all of the suggestions we received.

Keep in mind that the lists presented below represent example titles and not necessarily the actual list we will use if that option wins the poll. Some of the lists have too few options and others have too many (in comparison with our current system), so we may need to revamp whatever list gets chosen.

[hr]

Poll rules:

[ul][]The poll will run for 30 days before it closes.
[
]Each member gets up to 3 votes.
[]If you want to vote for more than one, you have to submit all your votes at once.
[
]You can see the current poll results once you vote.
[*]You cannot change your votes.[/ul]

[hr]

Option 1: Keep the default system

• Newbie (0 posts)
  • Jr. Member (50 posts)
  • Full Member (100 posts)
  • Sr. Member (250 posts)
  • Hero Member (500 posts)
  • Titan Member (1000 posts)

Option 2: Inverted Tylor stages

• Civilized
  • Domesticated
  • Rewilder
  • Feral
  • Savage

Option 3: E-Primitive Inverted Tylor Stages

• Civilizing
  • Domesticating
  • Rewilding
  • Feralizing
  • Savaging

Option 4: Human development

• infant
  • child
  • adolescent
  • adult
  • elder
  • ancient
  • ghost

Option 5: Degree of interaction

• Stranger
  • Acquaintance
  • Friend

Option 6: Length of interaction

• Just started posting
  • Posting for a while
  • Regular poster
  • Senior poster
  • Veteran poster

Option 7: Non-hierarchical nouns

• tree
  • rock
  • crow
  • deer
  • ant
  • cloud
  • whale
  • mud

Option 8: Non-hierarchical verbs

• eats
  • dreams
  • sleeps
  • hunts
  • walks

Option 9: Parts of a living whole

• root
  • stem
  • leaf
  • branch
  • flower
  • fruit

Option 10: Parts of an ecosystem

• water
  • wind
  • flora
  • fauna
  • mineral

Option 11: Rewilding Progression

• new profile
  • interested
  • open
  • regular
  • rewilder
  • possibly rewilded

Option 12: Degree of conversation

• Rarely speaks
  • Conversive
  • Talks a lot
  • Won’t shut up

Option 13: Degree of forum habitation

• new person
  • comes by occasionally
  • regular
  • here all the time
  • won’t go home
  • fucking lives here

bump

Just a reminder that the poll runs for a few more weeks. So far, we’ve only had a few votes, but option 13 has the lead for now:

Option 13: Degree of forum habitation - new person - comes by occasionally - regular - here all the time - won't go home - fucking lives here

I take it habitation refers to posting numbers rather than hitting numbers. Whoever said titular crassness indicates degradation? My votes for the one that might cause an otherwise valuable narrow minded person to shy away from this electronic haven. The ‘fucking’ has it!

You take correctly, Richard. The whole title progression system bases itself off how many posts you have made.

We could stick “fuck” in more of the options, if you think it would help. :slight_smile:

So the degree of conversation won? Will it go into effect soon?

Hmm… I’ve already voted, but I’ve come to like the parts of an ecosystem titles.

Option 10: Parts of an ecosystem - water - wind - flora - fauna - mineral

I think they can be rearranged as to be a bit more meaningful though.

[ul][li]Wind - Wind usually comes and goes pretty quickly in an ecosystem.[/li]
[li]Water - Water isn’t as transient as wind, but doesn’t really stay around long before heading back towards the ocean.[/li]
[li]Fauna - Animals tend to have a preferred ecosystem, but are capable of migrating.[/li]
[li]Flora - Plants stay for life.[/li]
[li]Mineral - And rocks usually stay for geologic time.[/li][/ul]

[quote=“locke, post:7, topic:443”]Hmm… I’ve already voted, but I’ve come to like the parts of an ecosystem titles.

[quote]Option 10: Parts of an ecosystem

• water
  • wind
  • flora
  • fauna
  • mineral
    [/quote]

I think they can be rearranged as to be a bit more meaningful though.

[ul][li]Wind - Wind usually comes and goes pretty quickly in an ecosystem.[/li]
[li]Water - Water isn’t as transient as wind, but doesn’t really stay around long before heading back towards the ocean.[/li]
[li]Fauna - Animals tend to have a preferred ecosystem, but are capable of migrating.[/li]
[li]Flora - Plants stay for life.[/li]
[li]Mineral - And rocks usually stay for geologic time.[/li][/ul][/quote]

Nice expounding on that system, locke.

I apologize for having taken so long to put this into effect. I’ll try to get it up and running today.

although I thought “rarely speaks” would be for the new members…?

yeah, it might be better to go “hasn’t spoken much” as Emily speaks a lot : )

the more I think about it, the less-hierarchical system seems better… but I guess it really doesn’t matter so much?

haha! uh, I will take that as a compliment?

hey! i’m “chatty”! :slight_smile:

that’s not something i hear very often! :smiley:

Since the winning option only had four titles in it, I had to fill it out some in order to match our current system. Since the new system works off degrees of conversiveness, I also gave people with 0 posts the title “silent” which they move out of after their first post.

Behold the new system:
[table]
[tr][td]Title[/td][td]Posts[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]silent[/td][td]0[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]quiet[/td][td]1[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]reserved[/td][td]25[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]rarely speaks[/td][td]50[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]conversive[/td][td]100[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]chatty[/td][td]250[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]talks a lot[/td][td]500[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]won’t shut up[/td][td]1000[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[quote=“jhereg, post:12, topic:443”]hey! i’m “chatty”! :slight_smile:

that’s not something i hear very often! :D[/quote]

haha, reminds me of housewives getting together and gossiping, haha! :slight_smile: BTW, I just posted more responses so I wouldn’t be “rarely speaks” hehe :wink:

well, with only 4 titles in the winning option, I had to do some filling in of gaps. i was actually hoping a different one would win, so i wound’t have to do so much after-work. :slight_smile: oh well. feel free to criticize my choices where I had to fill in the gaps. i may try to adjust the system after some feedback.

[quote=“jhereg, post:12, topic:443”]hey! i’m “chatty”! :slight_smile:

that’s not something i hear very often! :D[/quote]

don’t kid yourself, jhereg. you chat like it’s going out of style. :slight_smile:

let the post count padding begin.

I count myself among the guilty. ;D

aw, man, i forgot to vote!

i really liked locke’s interpretation of the parts of an ecosystem. kinda the same as the one that won, only more poetic.

aw, man, i forgot to vote!

Yeah, we didn’t really get many votes at all. It seems like the conversations about the ideas drew more attention than the actual poll. If I do another poll, I’ll advertise it in the news bar at the top as well as put a thread in the philosophy board since it gets the most attention. I didn’t think to do either this time.

i really liked locke's interpretation of the parts of an ecosystem. kinda the same as the one that won, only more poetic.

i get why people wanted the degrees of conversation idea, but i wish something more poetic would have won. we’ll try this system out for a while and then maybe change to something else after a season.