Need educational / rewilding audio for at work!

Okay so I work a mindless job moving boxes and stickering stuff, but I get to listen to my mp3 player at the same time… I’d like to use the time somewhat constructively for me ole noggin, so looking for some possible suggestions of some things I can put on.

Thinking like - language courses, audio for learning birdsongs, audio books, music suggestions, anything else I didn’t even think of?

Second that request :).

Well, if you like punk, the Dine’ band Blackfire rocks my world. Plenty of stuff about the evils of civilization.

I found this site with a collection of animal recordings. You can look up some animals that live in your area and cut the audio together to listen to on your mp3 player.

http://animalbehaviorarchive.org/loginPublic.do

i think Jason’s been listening to the “Birding by Ear” series, and they seem to be well regarded by amazon reviews at any rate. not sure it’s what your looking for tho’, as they seem geared towards eastern & center North America.

i should really be doing the same thing…

Maybe audio books about what different plants are useful for. Won’t really help you id them, but if you know what they do all you have to do is find them.

• Benjamin Shender

Try the anthropik podcasts if they’re still downloadable.

John Zerzan’s weekly radio show has an archive somewhere. Google that and download a heap of episodes.

Derrick Jensens’s CD The Other Side of Darkness.

Audiobooks of post apocalyptic novels.

Ward Churchill talks that can be downloaded from http://www.radio4all.net/

None of these are directly about rewilding but it sure will keep you thinking along those lines.

Willem’s got some podcasts worth listening to at the College of Mythic Cartography. Also, Martin Prechtel has a recorded talk called “Grief & Praise” you can probably find on CD somewhere.

I just got from the library “Birdsongs of the Pacific Northwest” Pretty sweet. I also picked up a book with 2 audio cd’s for learning Swedish. I tried the anthropik podcasts but they killed my web browser…

The anthropik podcasts are really good, you just reminded me how long it’s been since I listened to them, I’ve got to put that on my list.

Learning Swedish? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the Anthropik Podcast recommendations, everyone! I think Toby’s Podcast may start before Toby’s People does. :slight_smile:

I love the College of Mythic Cartography podcast. And more recently, I discovered HerbMentor Radio, a podcast put out by a graduate of the Wilderness Awareness School. In the first three episodes, I heard interviews from Kiva Rose, Karen Sherwood (the woman who taught the woman who taught me medicinal herbs) and Jon Young. I love it!

It won’t suit every taste, but if you like this kind of thing, those of us from this forum who had enough hunger in our bellies for storyjamming that we’d resort to Skype made what we call an “actual play” podcast of our games, calling our story band, “The Myth Weavers.” We occasionally have some discussion episodes in there (well, right now, just one with Willem & I talking about story and rewilding).

You could go out to the wilderness and set up a mic and let it record for a few days (or however long you can) then listen to it at work :stuck_out_tongue:

you never know what you might hear

Um, you could have your beautiful girlfriend record reading an amazing book to you, then send the mp3 files to you so you could listen to great stories that relate spiritually to you and also have rewilding themes to keep you occupied. (Haha, I know, I’m brilliant.)

I dont have a link, but there is a downloadable series of weekly podcasts called Wildebeat or “The Wildebaet” that are absoloutely great.

Thanks for the mention, survivordan. I produce and host The WildeBeat, the audio journal about getting into the wilderness. Our web site is www.wildebeat.net.

For over 3 years we’ve been producing a weekly 10-minute podcast and public radio segment with the nonprofit mission of inspiring and educating people to explore and appreciate America’s wild public lands.

If there’s a topic you’d like us to explore on the show, we’d be delighted by your suggestions. Some of our recent editions have been about primitive technology. We generally aim at more of a beginner level than an expert level. Our focus is entirely on places, outings, skills, and gear that are compatible with the 1964 Wilderness Act.

I might steal that idea to surprise my partner once. I really really like it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

This could be a great resource for you. I recently discovered this great site with tonnes of amazing interviews: http://resistanceisfertile.ca/

Lots of deep ecology, indigenous rights, climate collapse info. Rewilding celebs too: Derrick Jensen, Stephen Harrod Buhner, Lierre Keith.

I don’t know how to save these files to use on an ipod since they open in Quicktime. Maybe there is someone more computer savvy than myself out there who can figure it out?

I recently downloaded a couple of torrents from isohunt and/or demonoid.com that might interest you…

Common Bird Song

Seeing Through Native Eyes by Jon Young (this one is included under the torrent titled “The Induction Series”)

Advanced Bird Language by Jon Young

Journey To the Ancestral Self by Tamarack Song

The Lakota Way by Unknown

If you have or can get a library card that should open up an entire world of audio, especially bird song.

If you are unfamiliar with torrents email me at mullikencc at yahoo dot com

I would be glad to help you out and there aren’t many such valuable tools for self education as torrents, one of the most powerful tools the internet has to offer.

im surprised i havent seem mentioned john young’s “seeing through native eyes” series as well as his “advanced bird language” and the stories from his mentor Ingwe. you can download all of it from pirate bay, and ive heard he’s supportive of people getting his stuff that way!

Bump!