My Rewilding Log

This shall be my log of trying to rewild.

(My goal is to move into the wilderness in about 2 or 3 yrs time.)

Tools I have so far:

1. Knife.

2. A nice medieval mace. ( Defensive purposes. :smiley: )

3. And a heart of gold not to mention my love of nature.

Tools I want to acquire in the next two years:

1. Military rope.

2. Military compass.

3. Military water jug

4. Outdoor sleeping bag.

5. Tent.

6. Hiking Back Pack.

7. Transportation to Northern Washington State from Kansas.

8. Rifle for defensive measures only.

Skills I would like to acquire in the next couple of years.

1. Ice fishing.

2. Spear fishing.

3. Knowledge of wild berries and nuts.

4. Trapping.

5. Spear hunting.

6. Bow hunting.

7. Starting a fire.

8. Surviving through winters.

9. Filtering water.

10. Medicinal Herbs.

11. Constructing a shelter.

As one can see even though I consider myself a naturalist and a beloved admire of nature I am domesticated but it is my hope that over the next couple of years that will change.

I have come up with three possible places of wild relocation:

Northern Montana, Northern Oregon, Northern Washington State.

Other possible areas: Alaska or the deepest woods of Canada.

This shall be my diary of going from a domesticated philosopher to a philosophical hunter and gatherer.

It was kinda my hope of finding friends and maybe a lover to come with me in my endeavor of going into the woods but I now understand the futility of that happening.

I have come to the point in accepting that I will probally live alone or in isolation in my endeavors of breaking free from the bondages that humanity has created for itself. I am free of all fear now.

Right now for the next two years I will most likely get a job of some sorts to fund my acquisition of tools that I need for my survival amongst the wilderness. I will also save money for the publishing of my books that I am writing.

I found a location of where I am going to relocate in about two years. ;D :smiley: :wink: :slight_smile:

Pasayten Wild Life Preserve Northern Washington state bordering British Columbia, Canada.

The closest city near the woodlands is Colville City.

In that city I plan to keep people updated on my adventures and maybe be a primtivist advocate for others wishing to leave the bondages of civilization. I am hoping that city also has a book publishing group for my writing.

Mountains. ;D

Fishing.

I am now going to study everything I can on that particular enviroment so I know what to expect going there.

I am also going find what nearby towns and cities are around so I can keep people updated on the internet when I get ready to make my move two years from now.

Looking at the enviroment I do see some creatures that possibly could eat me:

Black Bears.

Grey wolfs.

Grizzly Bears.

Hopefully if I keep my distance they will keep theirs.

Winters look cold and it would seem that my survival rate through a winter in this wilderness will be very hard.

I definately need to learn winter survival.

It sounds to me like you’re not interested so much in rewilding as in surviving outside of civilization. I think you would be hard pressed to find examples of indigenous people who left the support of their community to live alone–unless it was for some short-term purpose like a vision quest or to travel to another community. Living without community would be the ultimate form of punishment–equal to a death sentence. Man belongs to his tribe the same way a bison belongs to its herd.

The thing that sucks is that even though we have a shotty sort of community within civilization, it does not resemble a tribe at all. In the civ, you have some kind of support, but you don’t live with the land. Out of the civ on your own, you can live with the land, but you won’t have any community support at all. It then becomes a choice between evils.

But to me rewilding involves more than primitive skills and way more than survival skills. Those things are involved in feral living, but they don’t comprise it. I would rather have a sense of community and live in town, learning primitive skills as I go than to deprive myself of everything but the survival aspect of feral life.

In a tribal setting, everyone was constantly surrounded by every aspect of life and every facet of knowledge that the needed to carry on their feral lives. They grew up in community. They were taught to hunt by people who had been hunting all their lives. Same with foraging and wildcrafting and spear-making and animal communication and shelter making. We can only get those things from cold, removed, written sources that were not likely written down by people who have been doing these things all their lives. There is nothing in civilization that begins to compare with what a child of pubescent age would know just from having absorbed in a tribal society. So why do we think we can do what none of them would find feasible: living alone in the wilderness?

Before you head out, I would recommend taking a look at Ran Prieur’s land blog to see what kind of struggles he has encountered in his quest to live with the land.

And whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you keep the boards up to date on your adventures as you are able.

Despite being the solitary type myself, I’d have to agree with WildeRix that wilderness living outside a community framework represents a giant and near-insurmountable challenge, mentally and physically. Simply put, it isn’t the way we were meant to live. Not to say it is impossible of course… people have done it. But it requires an element of superhumanity that only a few can muster. But I do hope you can find such ability in yourself, as a guide to others if nothing else.

I’d say with smug confidence that your chances of failure the first time round are sky-high. But I’d hope that you already knew that, and have the patience to learn from such failures so they might make you stronger. The old military adage of “all pre-planning goes out the window when the first shots are fired” comes to mind. When you’re out there and doing it, the environment can be a VERY different place to what you’d imagined.

How truly prepared you are I don’t know, and I suspect you don’t know totally either. The only way to find that out is going out and getting on with it. Which is why I support your plan 100%. Nobody ever rewilded by sitting on their ass all day fantasising.

As said above, do try and keep us posted when you get into this.

[quote=“WildeRix, post:7, topic:228”]It sounds to me like you’re not interested so much in rewilding as in surviving outside of civilization. I think you would be hard pressed to find examples of indigenous people who left the support of their community to live alone–unless it was for some short-term purpose like a vision quest or to travel to another community. Living without community would be the ultimate form of punishment–equal to a death sentence. Man belongs to his tribe the same way a bison belongs to its herd.

The thing that sucks is that even though we have a shotty sort of community within civilization, it does not resemble a tribe at all. In the civ, you have some kind of support, but you don’t live with the land. Out of the civ on your own, you can live with the land, but you won’t have any community support at all. It then becomes a choice between evils.

But to me rewilding involves more than primitive skills and way more than survival skills. Those things are involved in feral living, but they don’t comprise it. I would rather have a sense of community and live in town, learning primitive skills as I go than to deprive myself of everything but the survival aspect of feral life.

In a tribal setting, everyone was constantly surrounded by every aspect of life and every facet of knowledge that the needed to carry on their feral lives. They grew up in community. They were taught to hunt by people who had been hunting all their lives. Same with foraging and wildcrafting and spear-making and animal communication and shelter making. We can only get those things from cold, removed, written sources that were not likely written down by people who have been doing these things all their lives. There is nothing in civilization that begins to compare with what a child of pubescent age would know just from having absorbed in a tribal society. So why do we think we can do what none of them would find feasible: living alone in the wilderness?

Before you head out, I would recommend taking a look at Ran Prieur’s land blog to see what kind of struggles he has encountered in his quest to live with the land.

And whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck and I hope you keep the boards up to date on your adventures as you are able.[/quote]

Well I have two years before I take my trip up North because I am saving up for supplies and a bus ticket. I don’t really want to go alone but at the same time I don’t want to stay any longer amongst society as I see it getting worse everyday.

It is kinda my hope that in the next two years I can find some individuals who will go with me.

[b]My current thought is like a quote of Rousseau:

" If a man was hard to choose a life of enslavement,servitude and entrapment in comparison to death he would surely choose to die."[/b]

I am basically in the mind set that I have no attention dying a slave material object in the ashes of civilization and if I should die by my own hand of freedom I will die accomplishing all the dreams I have set out for myself.

I have read Ran Prieur’s log many times as he is a personal hero of mine.

Everyone can rest assured that whatever I do I will definately keep my friends in the primitivist movement updated. All of you are my brothers and sisters.

[quote=“Kaliverdant, post:8, topic:228”]Despite being the solitary type myself, I’d have to agree with WildeRix that wilderness living outside a community framework represents a giant and near-insurmountable challenge, mentally and physically. Simply put, it isn’t the way we were meant to live. Not to say it is impossible of course… people have done it. But it requires an element of superhumanity that only a few can muster. But I do hope you can find such ability in yourself, as a guide to others if nothing else.

I’d say with smug confidence that your chances of failure the first time round are sky-high. But I’d hope that you already knew that, and have the patience to learn from such failures so they might make you stronger. The old military adage of “all pre-planning goes out the window when the first shots are fired” comes to mind. When you’re out there and doing it, the environment can be a VERY different place to what you’d imagined.

How truly prepared you are I don’t know, and I suspect you don’t know totally either. The only way to find that out is going out and getting on with it. Which is why I support your plan 100%. Nobody ever rewilded by sitting on their ass all day fantasising.

As said above, do try and keep us posted when you get into this.[/quote]

I will probally fail the first year I would imagine. I plan on taking with me two rifles with about four cases of ammunition so if my skills of trapping,fishing and hunting go bad the first year I can rely on shooting for the first year. ( Only killing what I need to substain myself. I don’t believe in killing needlessly.)

Which is why I support your plan 100%. Nobody ever rewilded by sitting on their ass all day fantasising.

That is why I have decided to get ready to do this. I simply no longer have the patience of being a tool in society anymore and my desire of breaking free has overcome by mind, body and soul.

As said above, do try and keep us posted when you get into this.

I definately will.

There is a city many miles away from the location where I will be at. I plan to use their library computers often. ;D

My first order of business these next couple of weeks is two objectives:

1. Start my very first fire using rocks and sticks.

2. Learn how to make a dead fall.

I shall post my success or failure in the next coming weeks.

i commend your determination, TheJoker. i’m glad you’re already aware of the difficulties. i’m also glad that you’re going out there because, regardless of whether you “succeed” or “fail”, if you share your experiences with us, we’ll all be able to benefit from them.

1. Start my very first fire using rocks and sticks.

check out the bow drill article on the wiki. i put it together (with a lot of help from the forum community) when i was trying to start my own bow drill fire for the first time.

[quote=“WildeRix, post:12, topic:228”]i commend your determination, TheJoker. i’m glad you’re already aware of the difficulties. i’m also glad that you’re going out there because, regardless of whether you “succeed” or “fail”, if you share your experiences with us, we’ll all be able to benefit from them.

[quote]1. Start my very first fire using rocks and sticks.
[/quote]

check out the bow drill article on the wiki. i put it together (with a lot of help from the forum community) when i was trying to start my own bow drill fire for the first time.[/quote]

Thanks for the links. :smiley:

I am glad I have a place with support of friends.

On a side note.

My home computer is fried. ( 13 years old so no wonder really.)

I will only be on the computer every two days now via the public library. :-\

Oh well…

Couple things I’d like to add. I know you have military rope listed as equipment to take, but, imho, you should really try to get comfortable with making and using your own cordage. It’s just simply far too useful an ability, and one that I suspect has been with us for as long as we’ve been human.

Okay, well, actually it was just that one. Making cordage and the knots to use it…

[quote=“jhereg, post:15, topic:228”]Couple things I’d like to add. I know you have military rope listed as equipment to take, but, imho, you should really try to get comfortable with making and using your own cordage. It’s just simply far too useful an ability, and one that I suspect has been with us for as long as we’ve been human.

Okay, well, actually it was just that one. Making cordage and the knots to use it…[/quote]

wiki page on cordage: http://www.rewild.info/fieldguide/index.php?title=Cordage

You remind what an old survivalist friend says (a friend of my pops, only recently him and I speak of collapse and primitive skills). Anyhow, he says “don’t work hard, work smart.” That is, why spend a day tracking an animal when you can set a number of snares (and the sort) a day, then in the morning make the rounds to the traps and find meals, all with less effort. I’m all for hunting (though yet to personally engage in it), but feel multiple paths to food is preferable to one way.

Trapping everyday does seem the smart way of survival amongst the wilderness.

I am really also hoping to learn how to ice fish for the tough winters.

Oh, btw, you said you plan on moving North. Whereabouts, might I ask?

Northern Washington State.