Must-see Media, IMHO

YEah I’ve just seen it a cuople o days ago as well, its quite nice… go check it out

A tear jerker, a smile maker, an animist adventure of two teens that kept me on the edge of my throne with surprize, heart break, amazement, and unexpected twists/turns and way more, keeping me fully interested and entertain all the way to the neverending storying.

Bridge To Terabithia

I’ve just seen Apocalypto thanks to you people, otherwise i probably wouldnt because of the mel gibson thing you know. I liked the movie, there were some cheesy parts but overall i liked it and a beautiful protagonist too :). thanks for the recommendation

This is a cute short film: (only a minute and a half long)

http://www.ucbcomedy.com/videos/play/530

Being the steadfast anarcho-primitivist that I am, I like to read it as the violence at the periphery, where the civilized bumps up against the wild. :wink: But mainly, it’s just silly.

There’s an old film from the 1970s called Walkabout that I saw recently and would really like to recommend. It’s the story of two white australian kids who get stranded in the outback and meet up with an aboriginal boy on his walkabout (a rite of passage). the movie is part traditional story based film and part koyaanisqatsi/baraka… as images are put side by side of the indigenous ways and the civilized ways. It’s a story of the clash of these two things, which leads to loss for everyone. Check it out if you can.

awesome! I love David Gulpilil–I think he made his film debut in that one, but I haven’t seen it.

I saw one of his later movies, The Tracker, which had some beautiful moments showing the character’s deep relationship with the land amidst many moments caricaturing white man’s weak paradigm of domination and control of others–overall I didn’t love the movie.

However, ALSO on the DVD I found this fantastic documentary, One Red Blood, about David’s film career and his lifestyle with one foot in international movie industry and the other in his aboriginal community–beautiful. Worth seeking out just to see the clips of David dancing.

Yes! One Red Blood roX! I seen it.

“Latcho Drom” French film (language is basically irrelevent in this film)
Documents the Rom (Gypsies) people and their music from Rajastan across the Middle East to Europe. Beautiful! fabulous music!

what a way to go. life at the end of empire

If it hasn’t been said yet…

Into the wild

Just watched it, very good
It’s been a long time since I’ve read the book… I might have to say it was better (just cos I remember the book actually boring me :-\ )

[quote=“Willem, post:1, topic:191”]'the Great Dance: a Hunter’s Story"
bushman trackers[/quote]

Where did you see this? I looked for it online and only found one store in south africa selling it for $50 usd.

Never Cry Wolf

great movie, I remember watching it years ago, hardly knowing what was really happening, but having the general sense of it, it’s a good movie tho rather sad ending : /

But where will we go from there?

I’ve come across a book that I haven’t finished yet, but even just what I’ve read so far has forced me to reconsider some of my most basic assumptions.

Perception of the Environment: Essays in Livelihood, Dwelling and Skill by Tim Ingold.

Ingold has a good reputation among anthropologists, and in his introduction, he says he went into anthropology because he hoped to find a field still unknown enough so that he could become its Galileo. I think he’s achieved that, not for anthropology, but for something much more important. Willem & I have disagreed in the past about the value of science; while I readily contend that we’ve practiced science to date in a cruel manner that follows from the profound sociopathy of our culture that fails to recognize the personhood of anything but human persons (and usually, only a subset even of us), that the basic ideas and methods of science could just as easily unfold under an animistic understanding. Just because we’ve never done it, I argued, doesn’t mean we couldn’t. I think, in this book, Ingold lays the foundation for an animist science.

I can almost guarantee, for anyone brought up in our culture, no matter how much you think you understand the animist point of view, this book will show you that you don’t–and it will start to put that together for you.

I think I can describe it as David Abram, written with Jared Diamond’s voice. It has a definite academic tone, and hammers home its points with plenty of citation and evidence, which I count as strong points, but not everyone will. Nonetheless, though I’ve only read the first four chapters so far, it has already hit me as hard as Ishmael or Spell of the Sensuous. I can’t think of a higher accolade I could give a book than that.

You’ve peaked my curiosity, definitely, and I’ll see if I can hunt down that book.

And you’ve got me biting my tongue, wanting to address the idea of ‘animist science’, and how you and I may differ in our understanding of it. If you ever want to start a thread on this topic I’d love to go over it.

I almost feel that enough time has passed since our last conversation about it that we both might come at it in a different way.

I even promise, in such a possible conversation, not to turn and spit in disgust every time I say the word ‘science’. Out of pure courtesy. :slight_smile:

:slight_smile: Seems like a good idea, though I really need to finish this book first: all my thoughts feel half-born right now.

Google Books has a preview of it, which gave me my first taste of it. Actually, I think Google Books’ previews may lead to me reading a lot more books, just like the golden age of Napster led to me buying a lot more CD’s…

Where did you see this? I looked for it online and only found one store in south africa selling it for $50 usd.

The same here. Is there any way someone here can make a copy of this for me. I’m willing to pay shipping all at that. I’ve been wanting to see it since Jon Young mentioned it in Animal Tracking Basics.

Thank you,

Curt

There will be blood - must see…

really? tell me more. high points (with spoilers)?

“There will be blood” is hard to pin down. Hard to explain. The movie tells us a very realistic and very depressing story of a lonely prospector turned entrepeneur and his son. The movie moves along real slow, with beautiful images of the land contrasted by the way the oil-companies and entrepeneurs of that age conquer, divide and exploit that very same land. The detached and “rational” way the main character acts made the movie only come to live more. The main character is a self-made man that claims to hate most other people, and thinks like a true businessmen only in term of competition. His relationship with his son is a center-stage struggle, will he find something of worth beyond this meaningless production or not seems to be a big question. The story also deals with community and religion in a very bleak manner. It seems the characters are lost in the new world and there is no one to guide them, and if there was they wouldnt recognize as such.

These are quite subjective thoughts on the movie, you should really watch it yourself as the movie relies heavily on atmosphere mood and emotion.

Cheers!

I’m very interested in There Will Be Blood now. That sounds like something I could relate well to.

I watched into the Wild again tonight, with my mom. I hated it before but it really affected me tonight. Maybe I’m just vulnerable right now. The scene in LA was different for me this time. I guess I didn’t understand it so much before. I forgot that being out in the world and coming back to even a small Michigan town almost kills me. I can’t imagine what it would be like going from California to that city.

The Eddie Vedder Society cover too… the first thing in weeks to do more to me than Leonard Cohen.