Motivation/Endurance

Here are some questions for everyone:

1) What keeps/has kept you motivated as someone who rewilds? What helps you make progress, get into the appropriate headspace, achieve insight, etc.?

2) What is your response to the following statement?:
“Until civilization no longer touches our lives, rewilding is an uphill battle.”
(Give your honest response, and here’s something that (I think) would be fun to see-- if your initial response matures into something else, let us see the thought process that accompanied that change! Start with your initial thoughts and just keep free-writing without thinking it all the way through first.)

And lastly:

3) When you are out of the wilderness and in civilized physical/social surroundings, what (if anything) do you do as a rewilder to maintain your autonomy?

I have found personally that I am easily influenced by my surroundings (“God is in the details,” after all*) and I struggle to resist that influence. It takes up a lot of my energies and breaks down my motivation/endurance. That’s why I asked these questions, btw. Yes, out of selfishness! :o Seriously though, I think that if you happen to find these questions interesting and voluntarily answer them, I’m not the only one benefitting. :slight_smile:

*the originator of that proverb was the great and mystic modern architect Ludwig Mies van der Rohe… he wasn’t much for rewilding! But I do admire his art and dedication, and I love that quote.

PS… part of my purpose in asking these questions is, I want to see if I can gain any insight into the different ways that people function psychologically. Perhaps there are people who need to change their surroundings before they can significantly change their behavior. (If you already know that about yourself, great!) I feel that I am one such person, but I also want to see what stories other people have to share on the topics of motivation/endurance.

It just seems that when I look at the peace of mind and the certainty and faith I had in all of life that came from just communing (I hate that word but that’s what it was) with nature, back in my childhood when I experienced it as free wildness to large degree, and compare that to how I feel now about my surroundings in the city (and what it takes for me to keep myself going at a minimum of functionality), I can’t help but wonder if I need the right setting before the plot can unfold.