Midwest

I know it’s pretty nice for the time of year, isn’t it? Covers up some of the ugliness.

I am in Rochester, MN

Just moved back to the Midwest from the West coast. I’m now in Middleton, WI.

I went to IshCon '04 in Indiana and would totally enjoy meeting other Midwest gathering.

Cory, better half in tow, too?

-Jim

I’m in Nebraska, moving back to Lawrence, Kansas soon :slight_smile:

presently in Madison, WI. am willing to meet people anywhere a bike can take me (once it’s fixed), just as soon as the snow thaws and these legs get in shape enough to do so.

This is a reaaaally old topic, but I just wanted to see if anyone posting here is still in the Midwest, or if anyone else still lives in Indiana.

I live in Michigan, so Midwest but not Indiana.

Hey WildGardener, sorry for the late reply. Michigan’s not too far to have a get together or a camp sometime. I’m actually going to Ann Arbor for a weekend two weeks from now.

I feel like we should get acquainted somewhat, at least as much as an internet forum can allow. So what’s your experience living in Michigan? What kind of stuff do you get to do?

I guess to describe my experience, this summer was my first chance to really learn much, so far as wild plant foods and such. I had a summer job at a grass-fed cattle farm, they had some wild black cherry trees and tons of mulberries :slight_smile: and I discovered Spring Beauties in my parent’s backyard. Also I got to go to Echoes in Time and met lots of cool people. I’m wanting to start a bow making project this year, maybe even learn some trapping. Don’t know how much I can do with roadkill right now besides using skins and stuff, since I’m living near downtown Indianapolis for the year. I found out about a permaculture farm near Hoosier National Forest, though I can only contact them through the WOOFF program. In their description they mention getting to catch and eat game animals. I’m looking to check them out sometime this year or next year. Right now I’m just trying to stay sane living in this city, I’m finding it wears me out a lot. Unfortunately I went into the college bullshit 4 years ago, and just have a few months left to finish up, but once that’s done I’ll have a little more independence to figure my stuff out.

Anyway, yeah, people let me know if you’d be interested in a rewild camp or even just a casual meet up. I’d really like to make some friends around here already interested in rewilding, kind of helps to have a support base, as so far I feel a little lonely here when it comes to rewilding. Some of my friends say it sounds interesting, but when it really comes down to it don’t seem like they’d really get into it. Haha, I’m catching myself rambling a bit. :smiley:

I tend to prefer city life, so my approach probably differs from others on here. I try to work on closing loops. Water left over from boiling eggs goes onto the house plants. Even our dehumidifier water goes into the compost pile instead of down the drain. Our city offers free yard waste pickup, but I consider it a point of pride that I have gotten to the point where I do not need it. I rake leaves into the compost pile or use them as mulch.

My friends would not identify as rewilders, but a lot of their beliefs go in the right direction – they support local/organic food, local businesses, walkable/bikeable communities, etc. One couple is raising chickens (it’s legal in the city now, with some restrictions), while another couple converted their entire front yard into a garden.

So my approach falls more on the Ran Prieur/John Michael Greer end of spectrum than the Urban Scout end. (And I mean nothing negative toward Urban Scout; since many of us know of him, he serves as a point of reference.)

And no worries about rambling. As you can tell, I have a rambling streak as well…

This is an old thread but I’m in the Midwest, too - SW Wisconsin.

I would love to go to a rewild gathering so if anyone is getting something together, or knows of a gathering in or close to the midwest, let me know.

I have my landbase but I need to find some peeps!

-Jaye