Menstraul blood as a remedy

Back in the late '30s/early '40s one of my grandmother’s aunts had a mysterious sore on her leg that caused her to become bedridden ill. Several doctors came to visit and none of them could diagnose, much less heal her, though they tried everything they could. Her life eventually was thought to be on the line.

My grandmother was about 12 years old at the time and hung around Matka a lot (her grandmother), and they went to go visit this sickly relative one day. Matka told her to not tell anyone what she was about to do. She took her menstral cloth from under her skirt and wrapped it around the sore for some moments and then removed it. Only days later this relative was completely cured, and doctors and other relatives alike were astonished. Of course, no one knew about this until shortly before my grandmother died, and she told my mom, who told me because she knew I’d appreciate it.

Unfortunately our ancestors were encouraged to let everything, from natural remedies to the language of our ancestors die in this “new” world, but I’ve always found myself so intrigued by it. I only wish I knew what the ailment was, or for that matter, more about the properties of menstraul blood. Could someone enlighten me? I’ve known it is rich in several nutrients, and is good for plants, but I have otherwise never heard of it as a medicine.

Does anyone else have stories to share of menstral blood being used for medicinal purposes? Do tell!

arrrrrrggh. yes, the melting pot of cultural destruction, I can’t say I prefer the velveeta.

My grandmother, growing up in Pittsburgh, felt such shame at her immigrant status (or so I hear from other family members, she never told me directly) that I could never get her to teach me any Hungarian.

sorry, no blood stories, either. but she always ate kippered herring on new year’s eve and lived to age 92.

I don’t know if it’s true, but I read something about menstrual blood being a potential source of stem cells. If this is the case, it might be useful in healing just about anything.

That makes a lot of sense, Dan. Haha, I feel like I just had a durr moment for forgetting about stem cells.

YarrowDreamer, I agree wholeheartedly about the “velveeta” statement. My father is 100% German, and grew up in a tiny, remote town in rural Nebraska where (before it was destroyed by a tornado) even the 7th generation of the town spoke a dialect of German despite never actually having seen Germany aside from in the World Wars. My father detests Germany/Germans because of the World Wars (he just can’t get over it) despite being brought up in a very German-influenced household. In fact, when I took German in high school and college, he refused to help me and insisted I learn a more “useful” langauge.

Polish was a mandatory language in the Catholic school my mother’s mother attended, and her church used to do Mass in Polish. However, she was more than eager to forget everything she learned, aside from a swear she passed down to my mother and then to me ;D When my mom attended that school (post-WWII) the Polish classes had long since ceased and only the 6am Mass was recited in Polish. They do still sing some Polish hymns at Christmas, though.

Whenever people complain about Latinos/as retaining their culture and language, it sickens me, because I think it beautiful that they manage to keep it alive in this country. Viva!

You and me both. I worked in a restaurant with Latino kitchen staff for over a year; my Spanish pronunciation/fluidity really improved (most of the cooks could speak English, but they preferred Spanish). When I spoke with them on my breaks, I got the sense they all felt like they were really part of something, rooted, unlike a lot of Euro-Americans who try to fill their rootlessness with consumerism. It was refreshing. I love speaking and hearing Spanish, and I love it when Spanish-speakers compliment me on my pronunciation.

Not that this has anything to do with menstrual blood…