Mead and Wine

The muscadines ripen and fall rapidly around here. I would love to gather a bunch and put together some kind of Muscadine wine or mead, but all the instructions I find online for brewing anything (wine, beer, etc.) all involve strange oddities of the 20th and 21st century – plastics, for one. I really would love to make this wine without the aid of plastic. I have a 2 gallon ceramic crock which I think could work as a fermentation vessel. If I mash up some muscadines, heat them in water and dissolve some honey or sugar in there, can I just let it sit and ferment on its own in this crock? I don’t like playing puritan, but I find myself so frustrated that I can’t imagine how to do so many things without products of the industrial age.

~wildeyes

As long as you add yeast, it can ferment. In northern Europe, mead was sometimes started using a man’s spit. Mythologically, a man known as Kvasir (literally meaning something like ‘drunkenness’), who was the favorite of the Aesir, was created out of the spit of several of the Aesir.

I’ve managed to brew a large bottle this way. The thing I would be careful for, of course, is all the germs in one’s mouth breeding in the brew and ruining it. Definitely not sterile.

Good luck with the wine!

I’ve been making mead for about a year now using nothing but a large pot and a few glass gallon apple juice bottles. You can start it using grapes. Just buy some organic grapes, crush them up and leave them out in a bowl or a pot. After a few days they’ll begin to bubble. Then you can take a couple of tablespoons of the fermenting grape juice to get your mead started. After that just use the leftovers of previous batches to start the next one. Actually, just looked up muscadine and found out they’re grapes. You could probably start them on their own. Most grapes have yeast living on their skins. Don’t boil them though, or you’ll kill the yeast. You gotta ferment them cold.

If you want the details of making 100% honey mead, let me know. If you’re only using the grapes all you really gotta do is crush them, let them start fermenting, then strain out the skins. Leaving them in will make the wine bitter, I think.

lol

You know, it’s funny but I first got into brewing cuz I wanted to try mead, but at the time, it was pretty damn hard to find. 'Course, the few instructions I found on how to make mead were intimidating as all hell, so I decided to start w/ beer instead. ;D

Anyone who’s made both beer & mead should be grinning at this point! Brewing beer is a much more complex process than brewing mead (or wine). At it’s simplest, you can add water to fresh honey in some sort of crock for a few months to a couple years and get mead (tho’ it might taste pretty awful).

Personally, I like the honey/fruit meads a lot, they ferment up quickly and tend to not have a lot of off flavors. Some folk insist on boiling the honey, but it’s really not needed (and it cooks off a lot of flavor), try to ensure as great of a habitat for the alcohol producing critters as you can and you’re gtg.

As already mentioned, easy to find sources of yeasts: spit, skins of most fruit (including grapes, apples, plums, cherries, elderberries & many more) and honey itself.

If you’re wondering about ratios, I like about 2 lbs of honey/fruit per gallon of water, but since we’re talking about natural ingredients, your mileage may vary.

In terms of what y’all brew mead/wine in, do you keep things airtight once you have your mixture together, or do you allow air and all its inhabitants to join in the fun?

Not airtight, but protected from exposure to oxygen. Gas pressure will build up and possibly cause an explosion/damage/big mess if you make it airtight.

Modern method is an airlock and, when doing primary fermentation, sometimes just a non-airtight lid.

The brew will protect itself with a layer of CO2/krausen(yeasty foam), so as long as you keep it covered and avoid air currents it should be good. Once fermentation is started, you want to keep other stuff out to avoid off flavors and accidental vinegar.

I don’t recommend spitting in it, unless you’re using saliva to convert starches from grains, roots, etc. That’s a special process, though, with a few steps to it.
Spit contains too many possible contaminants for my liking.

To get yeast, I recommend these methods(already mentioned earlier):
-simply leave your container open to the outside air and you can get wild varieties blowing on the wind. Belgian Lambic beer is still made this way, with yeast blown in from nearby orchards.

-use any fruit with a “bloom” on it…the white powdery layer on all grapes, blueberries, etc. is yeast.

-Honey contains wild yeast, don’t heat it and it will ferment itself. Actually, don’t heat it in any case…you’ll get better taste/aroma.

-Buy it. Bread yeast works fine, but you can get specific results with brewing yeasts.

-use some from another batch, either your own, someone else’s, or from store-bought beers that have been naturally carbonated (look for ‘muck’ in the bottom of the bottle).

Someone mentioned bitterness…a little can be a good thing in mead. Really balances the flavor. Tannin is also good for astringency/clarity.
Wild rose leaves are a traditional additive for mead, and a cup of strong tea is very effective for adding tannins.

Any other questions I can probably help with.

@jhereg: ;D
Everyone makes brewing sound like some really hard, technical endeavor, when really it’s quite simple.

[quote=“kveldulf, post:7, topic:1077”]@jhereg: ;D
Everyone makes brewing sound like some really hard, technical endeavor, when really it’s quite simple.[/quote]

Exactly. I do wish I had realized that sooner, but… ah well, sometimes we have to learn the hard way.

My first brew turned out horrible. Looking back, I attribute that to the complexity I believed was there, and the extra steps/ingredients/chemicals that I was “supposed” to put in.
Keep it simple and have fun…that’s the key. Really no different than most things in life.

Also, in my previous post I said:

Honey contains wild yeast, don't heat it and it will ferment itself
Just to be totally clear, I mean the honey/water mixture will ferment itself. Undiluted honey won't ferment.