Lost

I was introduced to Lost by Rory down at Southern IshCon. When I met him, he made a comment about my nickname that I didn’t quite get. So my reaction was pretty much to nod and say, “uh huh.” I thought he was maybe referencing the Enlightenment philosopher, but I sensed that he wasn’t. Now I think he was referencing John Locke from Lost, who I wasn’t aware of until I got back and started watching the entire series from the beginning (I don’t think he appeared in the episode I saw down there).

So after renting the first two seasons on DVD, downloading the first have of the third season, I’m now caught up. Now is it questioning, or upholding the myths of our culture? The media often makes an act like it’s questioning the dominant culture, but then turns around and supports its preconceptions anyways. This is especially true of television, somewhat less so with movies.

So will Lost critique or support civilization? So far it’s done a little of both, keeping ambiguous. There was one point that openly attacked civilization. This was when Ben was wondering why he had cancer, when it never occurred on the island. Locke pointed out that the Others cheated, they used electricity, running water, guns, etc. I stood up and cheered.

So which direction do you all think it will go? Will it continue to critique civilization or will it eventually support the dominant culture? Will they learn to live happily together on the island or will they find a way home?

Rob

while i don’t think the creators and writers of the show have any kind of pro-civ or anti-civ agenda, i am interested in seeing how their mythology plays out.

i love the art of “misleads” in television shows–when the writers set you up to expect something and then turn the tables on you. i think the Lost writers have this art down pat.

i also love to watch the interplay of “leadership” on the island, whether it’s the Jack/Locke powerplay or the Juliet/Ben “mutiny” or Hurley pulling a fast one on old con man Sawyer.

i loved Eko’s brand of spirituality. it didn’t seem to be rooted in any kind of dogma besides a love for his brother.

but as far as a critique of civilization, once they blew the hatch, i gave up on any hope for that. these characters want their lives back. but who knows, maybe Locke will blow open their minds and lead them into the mysteries of the island.