Introductions

My name’s Austin. I joined this forum during its previous incarnation, but failed to really take the step to become a member of the community, so I thought I’d reintroduce myself.

I live in the Allegheny River watershed and although I’ve lived here my whole life, it’s only in the past few years that I’ve begun to discover what that actually means. I was first inspired to listen to the land by reading the works of Tom Brown Jr. in my early years, but it was Derrick Jensen who truly set me on the rewilding course.

The other humans living in this area do not often share these sorts of sentiments, but I try to keep an open mind and sympathetic heart in my quest to find a true community, and in the process I have unexpectedly stumbled upon a number of kindred spirits hiding in the nooks and crannies.

In joining this forum I hope to find emotional and intellectual support and to provide the same in return in whatever ways I can.

Hello. My name is Eric Garza. I’m 33 years old, and live in Vermont’s Champlain Valley, in the city of Burlington. I was born and raised in suburban Indiana, but began realizing life was missing something in my late teens. Since then I’ve been on a quest trying to find a lifestyle that nourishes me, and has led me to an array of traditional skills, hunting and foraging, permaculture, and a largely raw food diet.

What got me into “rewilding” is a deep need to build relationships with the world around me–with the land I live on, the animals and plants that I eat, the materials I use.

I found this site through Derrick Jensen’s forum, although I am no longer part of that website.

It’s hard to point to an exact point where I began studying “rewilding”, as I have never called it that. I began training in ninjutsu about 13 years ago. As best I can tell it was this training that started me on the path that led me here.

Howdy! I’m Ana. I just graduated from high school in Oregon a month or two ago and now I’m living in Guatemala for a year. My attention has shifted over the years from animals to plants and I try to learn as much as I can. I like food and cooking a lot, and doodling. :smiley:

Hey Ana! nice to have you here! Im sure lots of people are into food and cooking here as well ! I should try & take my cooking skills up a notch !

Its a calm place (this forum) at the moment but full of very interesting and useful threads, im sure you’ll find something of interest to you.

take care! & have fun!

timeLESS

Also: Hi Eric!

kinda looked over your post. Welcome here!

Martial Arts are very interesting in many ways! I trained Judo for a long time and Jiu-Jitsu for a shorter time. Im interested in hearing how your experience with MA set you off on this whole rewilding road. Im sure there is an old thread around here somewhere on the forums on Martial Arts.

take care !
Have fun!

timeLESS

So as I just registered, I will introduce myself. I have not read all the recommended reading in your agreement, but I am quite confident I will have no problem accepting them. Materials I am through with is the Novels of Daniel Quinn, some books by Robert Wolff, some reading by Stephan Harding a couple of interviews and talks with Quinn, Zerzan and Derrik Jensen as well as some people I do not remember the names. I watched a couple of documentaries like Gasland, Food Inc, Home and “What a way to go”. Basically I found that some of it was utterly boring as I just read what I already concluded or voiced in debates before but I found them to be good as all this showed me that I am not alone.

My personal development goes back 20 years when I started to read Jean Auels books as a teenage girl, at that time I was also impressed with movies and documentaries (Emerald Forest and public television shows on aboriginal people in the amazon or Africa). I dreamt on growing up and live that way in some remote area. I discovered some traits of animism in me on a year in the Colorado, US - a place that has a lot of nature and allows people to fish without spending thousands on licenses. Later I briefly planned to buy a farm to make a self sustaining living there with a friend, but we never got past reading a book on that and looking at some property ads before we seperated. I took a lot of interest in handycrafts skills and pre-industrial ways, later joined a medieval archery reenactment group (practicing some crafts like bowmaking, fletchery, sewing, working with leather, woodworking) as a retreat from modern civilization a bit and picked up on steampunk as a reflection on industrialization. By doing all that I met a couple of good people who think alike in many aspects and we talked through some of the “doom and gloom” aspects. Embarrassingly an increase in my motivation to finally puzzle it all together came when another Hollywood movie came out last year (Avatar) and I met a lot of people who think alike or the opposite by posting in a fan forum there. I had interesting debates there that also led me to be more open about what my reasoning on this whole subject is. The past year or year-and-a-half since I started a new job and moved out of the city also lead to the revival of the wish to form a self sustaining community again and signed up for courses on permaculture and will take part in the guardians of the earth meeting to learn more skills - this is where I am at now - trying to find some way to get out of this mess for myself and hopefully help others to do the same. I also have the wish to somehow “do good” on a bigger scale, but am unsure on how to do that - I am not even sure how to manage to help myself. I am a member of a small online group of people who have been thinking of this very seriously for some months now and I have some real life friends who at least share many of my thoughts but have different approaches on actions than I do - Overall so much is open and “hanging in midair” that I sometimes get frustrated. I still need to work some things out, get a clear picture on what is going on and what can be done, so if at times I ask stupid questions or take positions that are not “enlightened”, forgive me - I am still not finished with the puzzle (I describe it as a puzzle - many pieces of information on how I see the world are scattered in my life and I also found some in the websites and books and videos I took in. For about a year now I have puzzled them together and I see an image emerging, but the details are missong and I sometimes still have to cope with what I see emerging, as I discover to my surprise that some of my superficial beliefs turn out to be utterly wrong)

Oddly enough I studied earth science to master level, so in a way I am very much part of science and technology but I think these studies also led to many reasonings and conclusions. I think I can make good educated guesses and the fact that I concluded a whole number of arguments myself from the knowledge I gained in that studies and that these conclusions strikingly match these of others who drew them indipendently gives them a lot of credibility that I would not have given them if I just got all these ideas by reading books.

Oh and I also sometimes tend to write long posts :wink: forgive me for that, too.

Is there something here like a newbie subforum to get started?

Greetings
Aurora

Welcome Ana and Aurora!

Hello,

My name’s Molly. Where to start…? I’m from Corvallis, Oregon originally. I’ve been traveling a lot in the past few years, but I’m finally coming back to the NW in August (specifically Portland, but I’ll be moving around a bit-- the plan is to find a cheap van to live out of). In June I spent a month at Teaching Drum Wilderness school in northern Wisconsin. Before that I spent a year teaching English in China, which was enlightening. Saw a lot of the effects of industrial civilization that we’re mostly protected from/blinded to in America and elsewhere in the first world. Before that was Australia, and Montreal, and Tennessee, and before that I lived in an off-grid treehouse that I built on the Olympic peninsula… So, I am looking forward to coming home, for at least a few months.

I’m interested in pretty much all aspects of rewilding. One of the books that’s influenced me the most is Spell of the Sensuous … and naturally I’m into a lot of the same books as the rest of y’all-- no need to list them all… derrick jensen (heard of this website from the DJ forum, in fact), zerzan, robert wolff, mollison, ed abbey, etc. etc. etc.

Looking forward to getting to know y’all, and hopefully meet some folks in Portland/elsewhere, as well!

Hey there Molly!

welcome !

Hi, molly. I also just joined here, so I am also a newbie. I hope you will tell more about your treehouse in the NW. Sounds interesting.

My parents named me Joseph when I was born a little over thirty years ago, but quickly that turned into Joe. One of the ways that I can tell if it is a solicitor calling is that they ask for Joseph.

I came into this by way of YouTube. And not the videos, but instead by one of the advertisements. My wife is always amazed at the things I find on YouTube. It led me to the TrackersNW site and reading about what they were doing got me thinking. This was less than six months ago. Money’s tight and the library is free so it seemed like a good place to start. I found a few books on primitive skills and that’s where I figured I would start, even though it was the community aspect of rewilding that attracted me the most. I am starting to fall in love with the primitive skills aspect. There is definitely something empowering about knowing you can do things with just what you find, and I have found it is a good way to bring people in and that is how community is started.

A good friend decided to get in the primitive skills part. As a mechanical engineer he loves to see how it works, and that led to our first Boise “rewild” camp. I use rewild loosely here as it was more of a skills share, with some cordage making, fire building, plant identification, and trap making. However, we all had a good time and are trying to pick up a new skill or two to do this again.

That’s a pretty quick overview of how I got to where I am now on the rewilding front.

So figuring that I am the new guy and that I may not know all the rules or designs of this forum, I would like permission to put a critique or two of rewilding, and listen to people’s response to it. I don’t have to do this to participate, but I think it my stir some conversation that could be inspiring.

Note that a critique is not an attack, or anything demeaning. It is a thought out question or response that when responded to can and usually does expand everyones’ understanding of the topic being critiqued. Scientists do this to each other all the time to test each other’s theories.

My parents named me Matthew. I’m young and restless and full of wanderlust. I live in Plymouth, Massachusetts, where much of todays horrors are rooted. I have spent the past few years of teenager-dom getting to know this place and myself. I am interested in all things rewilding, and will host rewild camps here when the time is right. I have two more semesters of college to complete before I fulfill a promise that I made with my mum, then who knows where I’ll go or what I’ll do. I look at the world of civilized man with pity, embarrassment, and contempt. I look at the natural world with a child’s eyes.

I made an account on here over a year ago, and wasn’t very active. I have grown a lot since then, and decided that a fresh start was wise for my ego. Reading the accumulated wisdom from years past on this forum has helped me in many ways.

Thank you everyone. I hope to return the favor.

People call me GC. I live in Florida where the sun always shines and it’s muggy and generally unbearable outside almost no matter what season it might be >:[. I just moved in the beginning of August from this place to another place 1 mile away and I’m still bitter.

I have an aversion to eating roadkill while I’m still an employed civvie, but if I had something other than an apartment I’d not feel funny at all about skinning on the porch - if I thought for a second I knew what I was doing with it, anyway. My fiancée and I are going to be trying to slide into a paleo diet in order to be a bit more svelte. Not that we’re ugly, but she just hit me in the back of the head with a book. No, I don’t know which one it was, but it MIGHT have been Ishmael, which I just finished and stealthily nudged her way. Baby steps, so roadkill is not on the menu and neither are fat, squishy, nutritious grubs.

BUT… that said, I’m beginning to experiment with leather-slingin’ and I don’t suck with woodworking tools, so hopefully soon I’ll be able to speed up the sticky-slow process of getting my rear out of the box. I’ve been trolling forums and blogs galore for a while and I’ve read half of the outstanding eco-anarchist and rewildin’ stuff on the web so hopefully I can appear a little less of a n00b than I really am - a skill that got me by scot-free on Freshman Friday in High School and keeps me employed.

So… hi everybody~

–GC

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Nice introduction GC! Hahaha. Welcome to the forums!

Indeed - I laughed at that intro, GC - its funny. I’d not like to be hit on the head by “Ismael”, at least the german version I have is quite heavy :wink: .

Thankies Urban & Aurora :smiley: I stole a few parts from the first intro and then it all fell apart from there!

I’m gratefull to read the stories of so many others who’ve had enough, and are searching for ways to better respect themselves and the earth.

My name is Kyle and I’m 22. I now live outside of Kettle Falls, in Northeastern Washington. I’ve been practicing and teaching primitive living skills since I was a teenager. My fascination with such things has always been intrinsic.

I’ve been reluctant to consider myself part of the “rewilding” movement. It once seemed almost entirely composed of angsty, single, transient, twenty-something males from urban Oregon. I come from the very family oriented culture of the rural Northwest. I’ve had instilled in me a healthy disdain for cities and thier hedonistic occupants. I still have trouble relating to many of the ideas and activities that come out of Portland. Is anybody realy doing anything, or is it all verbal grooming? My rural outlook is that our resistance should be leaving visible marks on the landscape.

But I’ve realized, though I’m going about things differently than my urban counterparts, I am a part of this movement. Getting myself, others, and the land free from civilization’s abuse is a top priority of mine. My own transition is well underway.

My fiance and I have secured a 20 acre “land base” in Northeastern Washington. Construction of our pit house begins next week. The development of our native/food forest hybrid is ongoing, with major plantings planned for the Spring.

I’m developing a permaculture model for the Inland Northwest which I’ve begun describing at my website, The Human Habitat Project:
[glow=red,2,300]https://sites.google.com/site/humanhabitatproject/home[/glow]
I’m also working on a model for reviving the hunter/gatherer lifestyle. I would like to discuss this in depth later.The goal of both of these models is to make them relevant and accessable to average people in the region, not just to hip city kids.

I’d like to know of any other active rewilders in my area. I need collaborators. I’m looking forward to corresponding with all of you.

-Kyle

Wow, nice

As a twenty-something angsty male from urban Portland, I resent that! Haha. Just kidding. Welcome to the forum! Hope you get what you feel you need from it! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Hehe as a thirty something non-male from far away I cannot really comment on that, but I feel a bit envious about you already have reached a goal I still wish to achieve some day - having a land base, setting up a life there and planning a food forest and garden. I wonder, what you envision in that hunter and gatherer area though - what are your plans there - what will that look like?