If Only Our Forefathers Told Us

[b]If only we had our parents to tell us some natural wisdom. All of us in this western civilization have had to fight the norm to even find this way of thinking, don’t you think? This is my first post, and however weak, I just have this crazy sadness that I wish someone was telling us these things from a long strand of expierence. I can’t go outside and tell you certain things people of tribal or nature-weaved minds can. That’s depressing.

I’m not sure what this post is about. But don’t you wish we were handed down experiences, at least some, instead of having to read about it in books and then hardly experience in our daily lives because its so modernized. I guess the problem is in itself, since it’s so modernized, it lacks the ancestry wisdom. Sigh That’s all.[/b]

i definitely feel where you’re coming from. as awesome as it is to have all this literature to help guide me, it’s just not the same as the living, personal wisdom that can come directly from another guiding individual. for me, books just don’t carry the life and warmth and all the other sensations that come with a real living and active learning relationship. it’s like there’s all this wealth of information in front of me, but its still lacking something really vital that’s hard for me to explain.

there was a thread a while ago where someone said that we have"enough elders". but while there are indeed plenty of wise people who have written awesome books and have shared there wisdom with us, how do we find the real elders in our day to day communities who still know the old ways and are looking for seekers to whom they might teach their ancestral wisdom in more of a personalized way?

i mean, books (and web forums and whatever other kinds of ‘media’) are great and i’m very thankful for them because they got me here. but i feel like they can only do so much…

is that what you were getting at or did i just take your post in a different direction than what you intended?

-coyote :wink:

We’re definitely missing something in our culture, not having interaction with nature as part of our upbringing. I consider myself rather lucky to have had an upbringing that often involved mom and dad saying “go play outside” when it was nice out, and outside includes lots of woods (where I still go to play ;)).

If you’re going to be sticking around awhile, please take the time to introduce yourself more fully in the Introductions thread: http://www.rewild.info/conversations/index.php?topic=33.0