I have a possum

I have a possum in a trap right now. It is still alive. I need advice on what to do with it right now.

I’m in a very urban area. I’d like to practice skinning and the like, but If I can’t eat it safely then I’ll probably let it go.

well, i suppose the first question is: are you up to killing it?

possum skulls are pretty damn thick, so plan accordingly.

Well, my wife made me let it go (somehow she was under the impression that it was cute), but I extracted the promise from her that if it gets in the trap again, it’s mine.

Am I up to killing it? Mentally, I think I’m prepared. Physically? I’d be open to any suggestions on how to do it quick. I mean, should I just dump it out of the trap and brain it with a hammer, or is there some better way to go about this?

I fully expect it or another possum to wander into the trap again, So I want to be prepared.

Feed them white rice and skim milk for a week. Then feed them white bread and water for a week(all old timers have different recipes but this is one I hear repeated often). This is supposed to get rid of the gameyness. Good luck with that.
Next question. How to get smell out of hide?
Best wishes

I’m thinking that if it’s kept in a clean area while you’re flushing out it’s digestive system it’s going to have some kind of impact on it’s smell. Maybe you could hose it down a couple times while it’s doing the rice/bread/milk/water thing?

keep us posted on any future possum action. i just saw one go cruising thru my yard early this morning. i thought i saw a cat, but the tail gave it away.

i don’t get the bland diet flush thing–i wouldn’t feed white bread to any creature!

Me either! geezz… Anyway, personally, ai wouldnt want a possom pelt. Some frends of mine picked up a roadkill possum that seemed very fresh. When they tried to skin it, it was very difficult and the thing ended up wasted. My advise, if yer gonne kill them, feed them to local scavengers (vultures and the like).

I used to live in Virginia, and possum roadkill paved the back roads. I think the scavengers got their fill.

Strange to come across this post today, I came across an opposum this morning, looked for a rock to hit it with, couldn’t find one, but decided to chase it down anyway. Slipped under a house just in time, good thing I guess, probably wouldn’t of enjoyed kicking it to death, I’m sure it wouldn’t of enjoyed it.
I’m kind of a fan of stinky furs, but opposums seem to be hard to work well, as chase has already said. My poor brother tried his hand at it, just hearing the story of his trials was enough to make me want to gag.

I want to start or see a post on ‘hunting ways,’ such as with a topic like 'avoiding killing women and the healthy through experience and ‘dirt time.’ I hope to see what I can do.

I bring this up here because I noticed people saying stuff about hunting/trapping possum, but what kind of possum? What sex does the possum have? Does one think it wise to kill women or the strongest possum or not? In some deer hunting community I’ve heard that hunting doe will get one in trouble, looked down upon, or outcast, but also in many of these same communities hunting down the largest, healthest, and most able bucks will gets one cheered and marveled upon. As far me, I’ve trained some on hunting the weak, injured, and the soon-to-die-from-old-age old prey.

[quote=“grog, post:4, topic:551”]Feed them white rice and skim milk for a week. Then feed them white bread and water for a week(all old timers have different recipes but this is one I hear repeated often). This is supposed to get rid of the gameyness. Good luck with that.
Next question. How to get smell out of hide?
Best wishes[/quote]

You dont need to do this captive feeding stuff, they taste perfectly fine on their own and it just seems really weird to keep it locked up and feed it for 2 weeks and then kill it…

As for the hide, comb it with a fine-toothed comb, wash it with cold water and mild soap (other stuff probably works too). then hang it up to dry. at any rate, once you smoke it thats all it will smell like.