I fucking hate fences

fences on construction sites, fences around kindergartens, fences around schools, fences in and around forests, fences around fields, fences around trees, fences around dumpsters, fences fences fences everywhere.

Fucking fences. :’(

Don’t fence me in!

seriously dude. I feel you. Fuck fences.

In many neighborhoods around the country, there’s a “defencing” movement taking place so that people create mini-communities with gardens, playgrounds, etc.

I HATE HATE HATE fences too!

I live in the country, but mostly on each side of the road are fences, with “No Trespass” signs at the gates. The “Land of the Free”. Ha.

Fences, walls, and streets. >:( Cut all barbed wire!

I’m just plain lucky there wasn’t a fence around my elementary school playground. It joined right up to a forested area. Ha ha, guess where I spent my time!

deconstruction of fences is becoming a common type of activist thing to do over here. Take em down!

You know what? Fuck WALLS, too. Doors can go in there as well.

I’m assuming the first poster might have been talking about physical restriction. But fences, walls and all those barriers put up mental and emotional barriers too.

My first year in college, everybody had their door wide open and was free to come in and outside of their rooms. It was a great social experience, everybody talking about their major and what music they liked or what food or posters they had. By the end of the first half of the semester, everybody had their doors shut and the halls were a fucking ghost town.

How much distrust and hatred do we harbor when we only speculate what’s going on in somebody’s house or an office building or even your neighbor next door? How much isolation does someone get from being in a cubicle farm?

How much better is it when you can see and hear and understand everybody in your surrounding area?

How about grass and fucking lawns?

How much water, pesticide, herbicide and fossil fuels are consumed every year for fucking grass that grows fine on its own? Time and energy spent mowing lawns that could be native plant gardens?

I’m in the process of rewilding my yard so I might have a little bias here…

I hate plants lined up in neat rows. Hedges are like fences. Even a row of trees is like a barrier… an implied line of separation b/w the street and sidewalk.

Aww… you don’t really mean that do you? Grass is fine, it’s how we relate to it that’s fucked up.

Well you know, as someone who lives outside of, but right next to the United States, I have some opinions about fences/borders. When I get hassled at the border, I hate 'em. But a lot of people in Canada are very happy that there is a border between us and U.S. Without it our resources would be even more free flowing down south to the masses of America than they already are.
Just another perspective on fences.
Personally, knowing and maintaining your boundaries is a healthy thing. There’s lots of boundary pushers out there. If you have no boundaries you get used.

[quote=“jhereg, post:11, topic:889”][quote author=Pathfinder link=topic=941.msg10423#msg10423 date=1211925493]
How about grass and fucking lawns?
[/quote]
Aww… you don’t really mean that do you? Grass is fine, it’s how we relate to it that’s fucked up.[/quote]
Maybe grass, but the lawn, the pristine ecological wasteland supported by noisy energy-hogging lawn mowers and pesticides? I have trouble seeing that as fine :slight_smile:

Yeah, boundaries can serve a good purpose. Keep cultural diversity, maintain a whole and healthy person. I mean, if you had no boundaries, you would be pulled on by everything all the time, and then you would dissolve out of stress. I think it was when I first read urban scout's piece on anarchism that i realized that it was alright to have the occasional boundary, we can't do everything, and shouldn't.
  Physical barriers though, fences and the like, I think they mainly indicate ownership of land, which is just silly.

[quote=“heyvictor, post:12, topic:889”]Well you know, as someone who lives outside of, but right next to the United States, I have some opinions about fences/borders. When I get hassled at the border, I hate 'em. But a lot of people in Canada are very happy that there is a border between us and U.S. Without it our resources would be even more free flowing down south to the masses of America than they already are.
Just another perspective on fences.
Personally, knowing and maintaining your boundaries is a healthy thing. There’s lots of boundary pushers out there. If you have no boundaries you get used.[/quote]

this may bring up some BAAAAD BLOOD, but i have to say…the natives that lived here had no boundaries or fences etc. they used to live as nature intended. Look what happened to them!!!

-Tj

what about fences keeping stuff IN, I mean, I hate them (the idea) in general, but like, domestic animals (say cows for example) that would otherwise destroy the surrounding areas?

I seem to remember hearing from my Dad, (who spends a heck of a lot of his time mending fences right now) that the general “law of rangeland” as the cattle ranchers of the american west saw it, went like this:

I’ll turn loose whatever domesticated animals I want, and if you don’t want them on “your” land, fence them out. Kinda like Bart Simpson: I’ll keep kicking this airspace as I walk, and if you get in the way of my foot, don’t come crying to me!

the natives that lived here had no boundaries or fences etc.

Natives here built fortified palisade walls.

The Native people here have always had a keen sense of where their territory is in relation to their neighbors and have never hesitated to defend it. Fences or not.

Yes Yarrow Dreamer you are right about grazing lease fences.

I live in a region of grazing leases on public land. If your home is within the boundaries of a grazing lease and you don’t want the cattle on your land, then it is your responsibilty to fence them out and maintain the fences at your own cost. The only fence the rancher is responsible for is the one that defines the outside boundary of the lease area. Some of them are pretty slack about that too.

Natives here built fortified palisade walls.[/quote]

I suppose we have zero time wall crafters, part-time wall crafters, and full time crafters presently and pastly obviously I guess. And, too, I hate with hate I’ve heard aimed at totalitarian fence raising and strengthen others.
For example, to strengthen “others” (past, present, and future animist fence raising) -stacked debris walls- fences crafted often from gifted debris and vertical posts staked and frequently utilized to screen/block wind and to cage heat. Plus, I have made walls from bags and equipment, walls to reflect fire heat at me, walls to hut, and have witnessed aboriginal wooden plank coops made to raise and harbor foraged pig.
Ultimately, I enjoy animist fence a grip and have favorites, yet simultaneously detest 1 kind among a bunch dearly.