How the Weather Speaks to your Body

Through a long, slow process, I’d like to continue to unravel an understanding between myself and who all lives in the sky–wind, sun, stars, rain, clouds. . . and I’ve got a long long long way to go, and I guess I’ll never really “get there”. I’d love to hear what others have learned about this?

My Dad used to launch into long meteorological lectures about physics and science if I asked a question about the sky, and I would stop listening pretty quick, since none of it really made sense to me. So now when my son asks, I look for more interesting ways to answer. Like why did it start raining? Well, maybe the clouds got tired from carrying that heavy load of water around and decided to let it go. That sort of thing.

But maybe we all need those kinds of answers? Stories? So I talked with my Dad this morning, and of course the weather came up. So he launches in about highs and lows and cumulus clouds and the barometer and whatnot, but this time I kept asking him to back up and explain more simply to me. Like without a barometer or looking at the map on tv to see what’s happening 2 states away, how would I know about the pressure in the air? What could I feel or see or observe with just my body? It turned into a pretty interesting conversation and now I feel I finally get some of what he’s spent probably hundreds of hours explaining to my turned-off ears throughout my childhood.

So far, my firsthand observations of the local weather pretty much only consist of observing and remembering different kinds of conditions. Like how does the air feel, smell, which way does it blow, does it move all the trees or only some, can I see moon and stars (and comets!) tonight or not? someday I hope all this will organize itself inside me into recognition of patterns, b/c if I start thinking about it with my mind I suddenly lose all interest.

I have always felt really connected to the atmosphere and sky. Where I live the atmosphere is the most unstable on earth, and the weather can drastically change within the hour. Just yesterday it went from the 70s to the 30s in the snap of a finger. Hence the plantlife here is quite hardy.

If I’m outside when a supercell moves through, I can feel the barometric pressure change. If it’s a dangerous supercell I can sometmes feel it inside. Even if I’m inside, whether or not I feel the barometric pressure, I can still often tell a storm coming. I honestly don’t think I could move elsewhere largely due to the weather here, in fact.

I find it fascinating to see how the grass looks greener post rain, how the flowers open up for the sun, some flowers “move” with the sun’s movements. Even our bodies are regulated by the moon. It regulates the oceans and menstral cycles.

It’s all so beautiful and awesome to me :smiley:

and sometimes, atmospheric phenomena can really humble you…ever seen a tornado rip through a town? Weather helps Earth regulate itself.

[quote=“sunflowersFTW!, post:2, topic:586”]Even our bodies are regulated by the moon. It regulates the oceans and menstral cycles.

It’s all so beautiful and awesome to me :D[/quote]

Yeah yeah! the water cooperating and collaborating and transforming herself into part of the “team” of anything she encounters blows me away.

A few years ago, while trying to understand biodynamic planting schedules (based on the moon and other off-planet events), I discovered the connection between the moon and the “tide” of the water soaking into the kernel of the seeds and bursting out of their shell with the help of the moon’s pull–so fantastic. I tried this out–f you watch when you plant seeds, they can often germinate in 2-3 days instead of 3 weeks (hmmm, when the moon starts coming around again. . .)

[quote=“yarrow dreamer, post:3, topic:586”]Yeah yeah! the water cooperating and collaborating and transforming herself into part of the “team” of anything she encounters blows me away.

A few years ago, while trying to understand biodynamic planting schedules (based on the moon and other off-planet events), I discovered the connection between the moon and the “tide” of the water soaking into the kernel of the seeds and bursting out of their shell with the help of the moon’s pull–so fantastic. I tried this out–f you watch when you plant seeds, they can often germinate in 2-3 days instead of 3 weeks (hmmm, when the moon starts coming around again. . .)[/quote]

Wow, that’s pretty nifty, I’m definately going to try this over the Spring. I love how every little element works together like clockwork to maintain the cycles of life and death. It’s really breathtaking and beautiful to watch!