Hair Products

I recently cut my long, luxurious locks off on a whim, and now I’m playing with ways to style my hair. I’m contemplating the mohawk/mohican style. In this process, I’ve decided to come up with a recipe for a primitive ‘hair gel’. I was thinking so far that it’ll mostly be some sort of glue or gelatin, perhaps with a bit of tallow.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Maybe some more concrete references to traditional hair products than vague references I’ve read about the use of bear fat?

And while I’m on the subject, any dye recipes? Would hair dye be basically like any other vegetable based dye?

from http://www.fromnaturewithlove.com/recipe/recipe.asp?recipe_id=214

2 Tbsp Whole Flax Seeds
1 cup water
Pure Aloe Vera Gel, if desired
Few drops of essential oil for scent

Instructions:

Bring water to a boil. Stir the seeds into the water and reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly, until a gel-like lotion is formed. Strain through a fine strainer or cheesecloth into a small bottle. Add essential oils and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. If desired, you can add some pure aloe vera gel for its moisturizing properties. Fill the bottle with flax seed gel until bottle is about 3/4 full, then fill to the top with pure aloe vera gel. Gel will not flake or make the hair hard or crunchy. Safe to use everyday.

I’m planning to make some tonight. :slight_smile:

Nifty.