Guidelines for posting

Dood seriously it’s okay. Your last paragraph is in contradiction with your stated premise that we don’t need no elders.

Instead of getting all philosophical on us, why don’t you jsut tell us what is up, what you are thinking, what is important to you.

It’s kind of obvious someone burnt you recently, and you feel disinclined to share, that’s okay. It doesn’t make any sense to declare no one meeting your standards for a fully functional ‘wild’ human being, then circle back and explain how that could happen; how you wish it would happen.

I get what you are saying. Oldies are kind of fundamentalists, snickering snide assholes.

Well, look at yourself, Sr. Snide. It’s just their way of being sarcastic. Any ‘old timer’ who can be stood up to will respect you. If you just take the beating like a little kid, then that’s all they’ll see you as.

Be a fucking man, and hit them right back. That’s been my experience. I’ve ran across all kinds of shit talkers, and then I’ll say, what’s that plant under your foot. What’s that tree behind you? What was that sound?

Be ready to confront people, don’t sit around and wait for them to be like you, and certainly, don’t wander in that aimless aim until you do find someone like you.

YOu may not appreciate everything everyone does, and bits and pieces might be all you get, but it’s better than nothing. BE postive, asshole :wink:

I’ve been fucking around in the woods ever since I was old enough to walk far enough to have my mom call the police to look for my ass(that was when I was seven). I think when I’m 40, I’ll consider myself an elder. That would be 25 years after I became an adult.

Get over deconstructing everyone’s behavior. Newsflash – not only are we all not perfect, but all of us are hypocrites, too. You’ll get over the way people ‘position’ themselves against you once you let go of giving a shit about how they want you to perceive them. Allow yourself to perceive them, don’t play head games, and for fuck’s sake, don’t play the head games of other people. Be your ground-level self. See how they are like you, do’t see how they are trying to distinguish themselves from you. That’s their behavior. What’s your behavior going to be? (You big wet pussy >:) )

Putting on my Moderator hat…

TonyZ-

I really don’t understand your posting style.

If I wanted to purposely alienate and offend another forum member, I would do exactly what it appears you did: make assumptions, do some amateur psychiatry, and give unsolicited advice.

Please clarify for me your intent behind that post. If I’ve misread the spirit of your posting, please help me to understand.

I make this request of you because I want this forum to provide a safe space for actual dialogue.

What I see you’ve written looks an awful lot like what I see all too commonly on the internet - posters projecting their issues and anxieties onto other members. Straw men set up, and then knocked down.

You may notice that Urban Scout has not responded to you…it would surprise me if he did, as your post does not satisfy my personal standards for a respectful response. You may wish to see if you have something to patch up with him.

To pre-address a possible concern, I already noticed the emotional tone and accusatory nature of Scout’s post, his use of charming colloquialisms such as “asshole”, and “fuck”. Well, he probably said “fuck”. I don’t really want to reread it. :slight_smile:

I’d like to make the point that he did not address or attack anyone here on this forum…I don’t intend to hold rewild.info folks to a standard of never attacking anyone, or venting emotions, I just don’t want them to do it to other folks here.

Tony, I hope you’ll understand that I’ve responded substantively this time because we’ve had a few other exchanges over your communication style.

The internet all too easily degrades, lacking face to face contact. Please help me regain confidence that you understand the need to keep this forum a ‘safe space’ for dialogue.

Is he responding through you? I know ya’ll are buddies, maybe he’s like fuck that guy, and you’re like, no no no, he’s reasonable, I’ll talk to him

Or is that an assumption you made, because he didn’t find a reason to respond? I think somethings need to be said, even if they aren’t great. If I was wise, I would respond like Hey Victor, and say, ‘everyone deserves respect’.

I respect that Peter plays Urban Scout, it’s a way to sort through yourself, and present the best public image possible. Which is great, for the whole media thing, but it’s a barrier for men, and it’s one big-ass strawman, with a fat fucking target on it’s back. In that sense, we’ve got to “toughen his ass up” (notice the quotes, and my inability to find a ‘wry’ smiley face), because I’m the least of his problems. A media personality has got to be able to hit it’s critics back. If the Republicans were good for anything, it was Talking Points, and being ready for anything.

Regardless of the personal changes we have all gone through, I still remember how much I feel like Peter and I have in common, so I was really, talking to myself. I don’t know who ‘Urban Scout’ is other than a character on a journey.

I think in some ways, you positively proved my point, Willem. In these senses; that you stand up with talking about what you believe in, and you challenge people. If for anything, it’s fun to learn something deeper about someone

I come from a place, called the Midwest, where we haven’t been indoctrinated into political correctness, and we ain’t so good at dealing with feelings so much. SO really, I don’t even have those tools to deconstruct, and the re-apply into my version of what a fully functional human being could be. SO I don’t even know how I am being offensive, I feel more like a kid with a stick in the fire that sometimes gets embers on people. BUt honestly, I would have responded in a similar kind if I was sitting with someone and they just subjected me to such a rant.

I don’t have a style, I’m just me, reacting with the tools i’ve been given. I use the monkier “TonyZ” cause that’s who I am, I don’t have an online persona, I’m just saying what I would say in person. I’m sure this is obvious in how rough my drafts can be

Things like “quit sorting people, quit letting people hold you down, take people for what they are worth, and give as good as you get, EVEN IF you have to ‘stoop down’ to their level.” I have this sickness, where I need to find common ground with everyone, and if someone is about to take me down a notch, I judo that shit right back at them, and rather than take them down a notch, I do my best to find ‘them’.

I think above all, in my ‘colloquial’ and I’ll recognize, perhaps, ‘quaint’ way of communicating, I’m saying be your own person, and watch how people who you normally would associate with start to melt a bit.

I guess Rewild.info just doesn’t get the smiley face thing. Where you show people what your face would look like after you say things like ‘you big wet pussy’ ;D ;D

I hope it’s obvious by now that I’m not easy to deal with, and that perhaps, there’s a communication barrier between Indiana good 'ole boys, and Portland ‘scensters’ ( i know what my pigeon hole is, I’m sorry if that term is offensive, I’m going by haircuts alone here, we’re all human )

YOu’re right, maybe he and I do need to have a dialogue. Maybe you and I need MORE of these. Seriously. I’m TRYING to be myself online, but the more I’m Turtle Tony, the more Coyote Tony needs to be Coyote Tony. DOes that make sense? I’m not trying to take a bite out here, jsut a nibble :slight_smile: :slight_smile: and seriously, I’m not fishing, but in a way, this is TOTALLY on topic, how the wise guide the green through the canopy.

As far as actually personal attacks, I do see some silly, rough-draft type language there in my post. But hardly calling on such a hyperbolic response, such as :

If I wanted to purposely alienate and offend another forum member, I would do exactly what it appears you did: make assumptions, do some amateur psychiatry, and give unsolicited advice.

Because I see the people behind the post, call it instinct, I can see where you thrown in the ‘appears’ to kind of get you off the hook from your gut response. It’s cool, I am convinced that I am set up to be one of those people Peter is talking about. BUt I’m doing my best to move on from that upbringing, and this is what I’m doing about that. I always worry about my more brash comments, but I’m always going to stand behind them, admit my mistakes, clarify my position, and continue to contribute.

Too many times have I really been woken up form a dream when someone shook me up with ‘asshole-fu’. What I’m afraid of is losing that muscle, and not being able to return that gift. I was groomed to be something, like Daniel Quinn with Merit Badges. Thanks for taking the time, and going against your better judgement and responding anyway. I hope I’m talking to Willem, though, and not Moderator.

TonyZ-

It feels worthwhile to respond fully to your post, as you raise some points.

I want to make it clear that I don’t speak for Scout, nor does he respond through me. If he has something to tell you he needs to tell you himself. Your post set off my personal alarm bells as a moderator.

I know ya'll are buddies, maybe he's like fuck that guy, and you're like, no no no, he's reasonable, I'll talk to him

:slight_smile: I’ve given the wrong impression, apparently. I don’t differ much from most hotheaded folks, except that I’ve mastered the art of deep breaths and overnight delays when posting stuff online. You’ll notice my replies, especially to loaded topics, often take a while to show up.

I think somethings need to be said, even if they aren't great.
I respect that Peter plays Urban Scout, it's a way to sort through yourself, and present the best public image possible. Which is great, for the whole media thing, but it's a barrier for men, and it's one big-ass strawman, with a fat fucking target on it's back. In that sense, we've got to "toughen his ass up" (notice the quotes, and my inability to find a 'wry' smiley face), because I'm the least of his problems. A media personality has got to be able to hit it's critics back. If the Republicans were good for anything, it was Talking Points, and being ready for anything.

Here we come to the unsolicited advice. I have never respected the need to tell people what they “need to hear”, under the guise of conversation. Please own your own feelings about Scout, instead of volunteering to “toughen his ass up”. Whether or not you can find a smiley for that, I don’t see the humor in it. Scout/Peter hasn’t asked for this service. Please don’t force it on him. If you’d like to start a forum topic where we “toughen each other’s asses up”, I invite you to do so. To do this without direct request fails to respect the object of your toughening.

I believe that we get enough abuse, aka toughening, in the workaday world. Here, along with our other moderators, I’d like to offer a safe and supportive place to share, grieve, and celebrate.

Regardless of the personal changes we have all gone through, I still remember how much I feel like Peter and I have in common, so I was really, talking to myself. I don't know who 'Urban Scout' is other than a character on a journey.

Please talk to yourself then. Tell us your own story. I cannot express enough how much I value and welcome hearing a sincere, real story. I still remember on Ishcon.org you speaking about growing up poor, sharing the tiniest bit of food with all those you cared about. I believe in the power of that kind of story to make us human again. Please own your own shit. On this forum, tell the story that you need to tell, rather than masking it in advice.

I think in some ways, you positively proved my point, Willem. In these senses; that you stand up with talking about what you believe in, and you challenge people. If for anything, it's fun to learn something deeper about someone

Yes, you’ve inspired me to respond expansively because of this “challenging”. I’ve done so though to maintain the boundaries of this forum. Please keep this in mind.

I come from a place, called the Midwest, where we haven't been indoctrinated into political correctness, and we ain't so good at dealing with feelings so much.

We have lots of folks from lots of places here. Neither pointing at lack of “political correctness” nor folksy upbringing will allow for your more strident posts. Choose to have a conversation, or don’t post. Ask folks if they want a toughening-up. Check in that a smiley suffices for off-the-cuff and off-color humor. Do the work to help me keep this a good place to have a dialogue about what matters. I won’t accept any less. I won’t apologize for it. Lately I’ve seen some really great, insightful, and inspiring posts from folks of all kinds, including those who may have gotten started on the wrong foot. These folks started telling their stories. I think this made the difference.

I don't have a style, I'm just me, reacting with the tools i've been given. I use the monkier "TonyZ" cause that's who I am, I don't have an online persona, I'm just saying what I would say in person. I'm sure this is obvious in how rough my drafts can be

We cannot do this on the internet and have the conversations remain sane. You have a choice before you; tell your story, ask a question, or don’t post. If you use this ‘tool’ of choice you should do just fine.

I hope it's obvious by now that I'm not easy to deal with, and that perhaps, there's a communication barrier between Indiana good 'ole boys, and Portland 'scensters' ( i know what my pigeon hole is, I'm sorry if that term is offensive, I'm going by haircuts alone here, we're all human )

I’ve offered a simple way to solve the communication barrier. We have many folks from many parts of the country, from many backgrounds. They post, generally speaking, amazing, sincere, and useful things. You yourself have mostly done the same. Please don’t hide behind your backstory. You, TonyZ, choose to post what you post. Tell your story, ask a question, or don’t post.

Seriously. I'm TRYING to be myself online, but the more I'm Turtle Tony, the more Coyote Tony needs to be Coyote Tony. DOes that make sense?

No, it does not make sense to me. Posting here requires a commitment to conversation. If you can’t commit to that, then you need to find some other place to post. If telling a story or asking a question seems to restrict your self-expression too much, then you need to find another forum. I would rather you continue to contribute here. I see this as a fairly simple requirement for participating.

As far as actually personal attacks, I do see some silly, rough-draft type language there in my post. But hardly calling on such a hyperbolic response, such as :

[quote]If I wanted to purposely alienate and offend another forum member, I would do exactly what it appears you did: make assumptions, do some amateur psychiatry, and give unsolicited advice.[/quote]

I admit to occasional hyperbole. I do not see this as one of those times. You assumed many things about Peter’s intent. You assumed several things about his motivations and psychology. You filled a post with unsolicited advice. I really don’t see the hyperbole.

Because I see the people behind the post, call it instinct, I can see where you thrown in the 'appears' to kind of get you off the hook from your gut response.

I use words like ‘appears’ on occasion because I want to leave room for your story, and the possibility of my misunderstanding it. Your explanation so far has underscored the ‘appearance’ that I first remarked, rather than undermining it. Letters on a screen leave little room for instinct.

It's cool, I am convinced that I am set up to be one of those people Peter is talking about. BUt I'm doing my best to move on from that upbringing, and this is what I'm doing about that. I always worry about my more brash comments, but I'm always going to stand behind them, admit my mistakes, clarify my position, and continue to contribute.

Here you begin to tell your story a little bit. How about instead of worrying over your outbursts of unsolicited advice, etc., you just give us more of what we’ve actually appreciated all along - your story, your hard won experience, your self-knowledge?

Too many times have I really been woken up form a dream when someone shook me up with 'asshole-fu'. What I'm afraid of is losing that muscle, and not being able to return that gift.

Save it for those who request it, start a topic just for this purpose, or find another forum. Simple enough?

I was groomed to be something, like Daniel Quinn with Merit Badges. Thanks for taking the time, and going against your better judgement and responding anyway. I hope I'm talking to Willem, though, and not Moderator.

My better judgement inspired me to respond. You can call me Willem, ‘He-who-moderates’. I do my best to protect this space for the gentle and not-so-gentle souls intent on finding support for rewilding on the internet. Talking to me here means talking to me in that role.

To reiterate - will you meet my needs for sincere and useful exchange here, in the form of checking your posts according to this measure: did I tell my story (instead of offering unsolicited advice)? did I ask a question (instead of assuming)? if neither, on what other forum besides rewild.info can I post this thing that I need to say?

My narrative teases.

You could call me ‘he-who-pokes’

I’m actually more offended you called my original statement ‘advice’. There’s a difference between a ‘friend’ suggesting another friend ‘man-up’ and quit getting punked by old men with nothing better to do that punk the youngin’s, and doing something like constructive criticism, re-stating the rules of conduct, or out and out missing the point.

Am I rude for not parsing your message, paragraph by paragraph, and responding to each individual item? You don’t understand how I am throughly annoyed by this behavior, mostly for personal issues I’ll get into later. But Because it seems like you put a lot of time into it, I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt that you care enough to use your time for those ends, but you really tested me with your last sentence. That last paragraph, it was going real well, it sounded like it should have been a sticky note at the top of the forum, but I’m not sure how to respond to aggressive-aggressive hints like

on what other forum besides rewild.info can I post this thing that I need to say?

I see how this was very constructive:

To reiterate - will you meet my needs for sincere and useful exchange here, in the form of checking your posts according to this measure: did I tell my story (instead of offering unsolicited advice)? did I ask a question (instead of assuming)?

But that was only two-thirds. The other third was, just, well, you left a bad taste in my mouth. Not because of what you said, but that it was your closing remark.

If ANYONE thinks I did or said ANYTHING worthy of having the ultimate tribal punishment meted out, then I’ll leave, with no regrets. Seriously, is really that offensive to ‘offer unsolicited advice’ to suggest someone go elsewhere? Maybe you meant it more benignly, more lovingly, than I’m taking it, but when someone parses up my language like you did, and signs it with the kiss of death, like you did, all I can hear are my years of Fighting with Chris Hardie over Ishcon. He and I made that conference what it was, and he pushed me out very rationally, made it very easy for me to want out, so he could have it to himself. Well, the very first conference I wasn’t at, the idea of Ishcon folded. I dont’ have that place here, and I like not having the pressure. I still have that voice, though, that penetrating ‘tonyness’, I just wish it was more useful, more understood, taken in a lighter context, hell, any other context, other than offensive.

I think the problem I have is being so emotional, and not being able to truly gauge the emotions of others, without having their body language (I’m missing the 90 percent I’m used to working very well with).

I would like to stay around if it can be accepted I’m going through a process, not trying to ‘punk’ everyone down to my level. If you can handle that I’m going to let you down from time to time, then I’m in this thing, for real. If not, then I still have friends.

I think we need a lot of elders. We need people to be patient with us, and not let us be feral, but wild human beings. We have to address our emotional issues, our cultural resonances, and I think a big part of addressing them is expressing them.

As the leader of my physical group, I’m used to dealing with bigger problems like, hey Jason, could you not eat a bunch of bars (Xanax) at the next campout, or hey Kristen, could you stop lying to people, or Kyle, would you please un-shoot yourself in the face. Those are real names, real people, adn real problems who will never see this site, and this is my ‘back-end’ work, my challege, the bridges I’m trying to build.

I’ll admit, I am trying to learn from ya’ll. And I’m doing my best to bridge the well-educated with myself, the high-school and college dropout. I know I’m a smart-mutherfucker, but I’m under-educated, in the 49th worst state for public education, having been a student at the worst public school system in that state (Indianapolis Public Schools), I see that there are currents and things that people see differently than I do, especially when it comes to writing. I’m not sharing this for pity; I’m sharing this because I’m trying to understand how in the hell I’m supposed to go from ‘yo mama is SOO fat…’ to tell a story, ask a question, or don’t post. Cause I’m smart enough to know about loaded questions, I’m intuitive enough to feel why people ask certain questions, and I don’t want to be disingenious.

Mechanically, it’s hard for me to see how big of a change a sentence like:

Get over deconstructing everyone's behavior.

makes more sense as:

(I wish we could) Get over deconstructing everyone's behavior.

Because I feel like I’m losing my intent. I guess, I never had that class where I learned how to be offended by the imperative tense. Okay, that’s not fair, but still, I’m used to being okay with the imperative verbal tense.

I appreciate your time, but honestly, I appreciate Andrew’s advice much more, it makes me feel less disapproved of.

I guess I can say it. People beat me up all the time for not conforming to the rules of langauge, or for misspeaking. I really feel bad for George Bush, for people hurting him because of his own swiss-cheese education. His excuse was that he was rich, he didn’t have to learn, my excuse was that I was poor, it didn’t matter if I learned or not.

He-who-moderates, maybe it wasn’t you, but I would like to tthink of you as the person that said I was ‘didactic’. It was the first time I felt like I was okay. Here is me, feeling like I’m not okay in the eyes of my elders…

I would much rather see a loaded question, which would only take up so much space, than a long tirade of assumptions. You know what I mean? People always have the option to not answer a question, even a loaded one. However, I’ll take everything as it comes. I appreciate your willingness to work on this.

Mechanically, it's hard for me to see how big of a change a sentence like:

[quote]
Get over deconstructing everyone’s behavior.[/quote]

makes more sense as:

[quote] (I wish we could)
Get over deconstructing everyone’s behavior.[/quote]

Because I feel like I’m losing my intent.

It makes more sense because you’ve owned the fact that you yourself deconstruct people’s. behavior. An even more a to-the-point and further change in your intent: “I feel frustrated when I see people deconstructing others behavior, because I’ve received so much benefit from…etc.”

I guess, I never had that class where I learned how to be offended by the imperative tense. Okay, that's not fair, but still, I'm used to being okay with the imperative verbal tense.

Bottom line, internet dynamics differ from in-person dynamics. We write differently on the internet than we talk in person, because the impersonality of the internet breeds misunderstanding. We play it extra safe to make up for this.

I think the problem I have is being so emotional, and not being able to truly gauge the emotions of others, without having their body language (I'm missing the 90 percent I'm used to working very well with).

You already seem to grasp my point. I understand what you mean exactly. This explains why we play it safe.

So more you own your own feelings, as your story, rather than advice, the more I’ll relax about your posts . It makes sense that you feel like you lose your original intent when you change the structure. Thinking of these things in this way, using e-prime, etc., all expose our culturally conditioned intent to disown our feelings and blame others for them.

Will doing it make you a ‘better’ person? More ‘wise’? More ‘approved of’? I don’t know. It may make those labels matter less, which I really value myself. In any case it will allow for safe conversations here.

I appreciate your time, but honestly, I appreciate Andrew's advice much more, it [i]makes me feel[/i] less disapproved of.

I want a safe space for dialogue here, for all of us. I don’t see the relevance of my possible approval or disapproval. Moderation and approval don’t intersect in this instance, in the sense you seem to mean it. Does that make sense? I don’t moderate because I disapprove. I moderate to protect space.

He-who-moderates, maybe it wasn't you, but I would like to tthink of you as the person that said I was 'didactic'. It was the first time I felt like I was okay. Here is me, feeling like I'm not okay in the eyes of my elders...

Good lord, you didn’t just insinuate elderhood on my part? I in no way want to take on that particular mantle. I appreciate the thought, but christ. :slight_smile: As far as the one who called you ‘didactic’, though I don’t remember the occasion, I certainly don’t hide the fact that I treasure a lot of what you bring here.

Expect me to jump in if I see any further posts that cross the line of care and respect for other members…whether yours or anyone else’s. Otherwise, you seem to have a good grasp of the challenge here. I see your other posting going on, and it inspires me, and more than meets the need for story and questions. I think you’ve got it.

Thanks, it means a lot. I’m exhausted with a bunch of personal shit right now, otherwise, I would be verbose with my appreciation.

I think a big challenge for me is to start writing out my body language and my assumptions, and find a way to verbally bring myself into my demands. Having found peace with myself, I am sometimes disconnected with the fact that subtlety is completely washed out electronically.

You may not be old, but you are respected, and you act wise(regardless of what’s REALLY going on up there) , so deal with it :wink:

WHen I took the Landmark Edumacation (misspelled so this can’t be googled and cease and desisted)Brainwashing forum (est), We learned that you never stop getting upset, we never stop ‘telling a story’ about ‘what really happened’, we just get better at expressing ourselves, at stopping the telling of the conditioned story, no matter how ‘enlightened’ you may or may not become through this practice. I tried teaching this at an IshCon once, it was hilariously disastrous. I couldn’t communicate to people very well that we never know ‘what really happened’ that we are constantly ‘telling a story’, and there are many voices inside of us crafting that story to be angry, resentful, cheerful, or powerful. The forum was all about making choices, and I’m taking a stand for telling the best story possible! (damn that’s some mighty fine brainwashing… any Landmarkers or est people out there … someone who gets the jargon?)

You won’t hate me if I take you up on the loaded question thing, RIGHT? :wink: :wink:

Tony, what I don’t understand about you is how you obviously have some criticisms of the way the dominant culture lives (hence you’re rewilding), but you can’t extend those criticisms to the way we talk with each other and the words we use. Certain types of posturing and certain types of remarks are JUST AS damaging as endangering species and clearcutting forests. You may speak a little more plainly than some people here, but you still have an active mental faculty that can grasp abstract concepts. I suggest that you use it to examine your behavior. If you can’t respect other people’s emotions, then maybe it’s time to get in touch with your own. It will come to no harm, only understanding.

OK, I’ve said my peace.

I appreciate the meaning, and the time you spent addressing me, but as Willem points out, that clearly falls within the category of ‘unsolicited advice’.

Online, intentions don’t come out clearly, and so harassing someone in a friendly way can be genuinely hurtful if there isn’t two-way communication. I don’t think certain words or certain phrases have a concrete power, regadrless of their use.

I have a pretty crass vocabulary, but that comes with my resentment over the push of political correctness as a concrete way of being. Just because I say nigger or pussy doesn’t mean I’m racist or sexist; it’s what’s in my heart, what my intentions are.

Willem and I’s public conversation is for the purpose of learning to take this crass and jovial (oh no, he’s a Jupiter Worshipper!!!) way that men have towards each other and reconstruct it so that you get the meaning without having to guess the intention behind it.

Because, otherwise, you might have people, like yourself, who will think of another as arrogant and lacking introspection. And who wants to come off like that, regardless of whether or not you are actually a bigot, or comfortable with your inner bigot (which you, as a fan of introspection, can surely appreciate the wide gap in difference).

Because I value every single thing that is burned permanently into the back of my brain, I make it fight for the right to be there.

And so, I am equally comfortable calling someone a ‘pussy’ or telling them to ‘man-up’ as I am going to a Feminist Majority Foundation rally.

Because I believe in both things, at once. The usefulness in insult and insight. I’m young, and I’ve got a lot of time to get it right. For what it’s worth, had you said this to me ten years ago, I would have just been a prick about it, and not opened up to you my process and my needs.

Just an insight, my housemate here, noted to me some observations he has made as he has traveled throughout the world, (he’s ~50). One thing he told me was in the difference in speech customs of those in the more eastern coast (and especially NY I guess), and west coast. Where the east will tell it like it is, blunt and straightforward, will speak what’s on their mind, as opposed to the west coast where this we moreso shun this behaviour. In that the common speech of the west coast will try and ‘sugar coat’ or ignore this. In that you don’t get what the person is really thinking/feeling, leading to a possible suspicious feeling of others.
(This presentation is from his bias, I understand what he’s saying tho and am just repeating.)
For some reason I feel this may be relevant to different peoples communication styles.

it certainly is a point worth mentioning. when I lived in Maine for a year, even I got my feathers ruffled a few times. Like the time I wore my Pacers shirt to Boston for the playoff game between the Celtics and the Pacers in 05’. There was this entire bar, the kind that can be converted indoor/outdoor, who, without any thought to coordination, stood up and booed and jeered me and my shirt as soon as they saw me round the corner. It was fascinating, rathere than insulting, of course, I was expecting to get a little harrassed, but an entire bar, in unison? The blue and gold does stick out when everyone else is wearing green and white. Of course, this was game two, when the Pacers won, so I got a lot of ‘go fuck yourself’s’ on the way back to the car as I’m jumping up and down going ‘woooooooooo’!

BUt this is a case where you expect there to give and receive the harassment, as opposed, to say, posting a chapter of a book on a message board, where you aren’t expecting it, so much.

Also, one time I had a date that ended somewhere halfway through dinner when I was getting nowhere with my stance that I don’t ‘hate’ George Bush, I just think he’s a bad president. I was not getting any that night because she needed me to hate him with her in order for us to get along.

I met people out there that would argue and say mean shit to each others’ face, like coworkers, and what not, bu there didn’t seem to be any emotional scarring. I’ve notice though, here in the Midwest, Chicagoland and beyond, that things like that would ruin a relationship, and people would just shun each other, politely never talking to that person again, as an exfriend of mine once said, ‘silently excusing’ themselves from the relationship.

Are you saying some West coast attitudes reflect a sugar coating? I’m not terribly familiar with that behavior. We get a lot of SOuthern and Eastern transplants in Indiana, but most of the people I meet from the West Coast are more the in-your-face types, but that has always been in working relationships.

What I like about the South is HOW they tell you to go fuck yourself. It’s like, excuse me sir, go fuck yourself.’ It’s very polite, but very clear as to what they are communicating.

BUt as we all know, these attitudes are based off of the situations you find yourselves in. I’m just glad we aren’t like the typical Internet coaster. That would make communication impossible :wink:

I think this reflects the crux of the matter… in Seattle I often hear of a thing called the ‘Seattle freeze’ or something like that… I don’t have any personal knowledge of it though.

Are you saying some West coast attitudes reflect a sugar coating? I'm not terribly familiar with that behavior. We get a lot of SOuthern and Eastern transplants in Indiana, but most of the people I meet from the West Coast are more the in-your-face types, but that has always been in working relationships.

Idk, I guess just the sugar coating when people don’t necessarily say what on their mind, like rebuking someones behaviour, as you implied with the ‘go fuck yourself’.
I know my cousin noted a difference in the behaviour of the people he met on the train when he went back home to Michigan from Seattle and (actually I think the train was going to Chicago…), but I don’t remember exactly the who/what relationship, only that their was a difference.

Tony - yes, that’s exactly what it was, unsolicited advice. And you have been giving such advice more often than anybody I see on this board.

Believe it or not, empirical evidence suggests it is possible for human beings, especially individuals, to change their behavior…

My experience of Seattle is that people are more content to communicate with non-verbal signals or cultural references instead of conversations. The clothes you wear, buzzwords you drop, etc are self-expression that is meant to tell people what “kind” of person you are (it kind of results in everyone being the same kind of person–socially inept!). If you order an Americano instead of a Latte, it “says” something about you. It’s all in the name of gaining status. Whereas in the Midwest, where I lived most of my life, status is more something that other people put on you. (Then again, that could just be the difference between a city and a small town, not necessarily Midwest/Northwest.) In the Midwest it’s harder to tell what someone is “into” or what they “believe” by their appearance, which I like better, because it invites conversation. I think that Midwesterners have stronger beliefs (and there is more diversity of beliefs than you’d think–all the vegans I know are Midwesterners) than Seattleites have, who are more caught up in trends (trendiness has become institutionalized insofar as it will help a person professionally). Also, in the Midwest, what a person is “into” is not so much related to social status. There’s not so much a culture of “informed = elite.” I think it has to do with the whole Information Technology thing in Seattle and how information has become more and more commodified. IMO, Seattle is more guilty of civilization (at least in its mental and psychological manifestations) than the much-maligned Midwest.

In the Midwest, as Tony said, you can get booed out of a bar for wearing the “wrong” sports team colors. But in the end, it doesn’t matter; it’s just entertainment; just a game. In Seattle, if you walk into a restaurant looking for work, wearing what the owner/manager considers to be the “wrong” outfit, you might not get an interview. It has happened to me… the once-over, then resolution sets in, then “we’re not hiring, sorry.” What I was wearing was perfectly acceptible - clean, professional, understated. It just didn’t have “I’m trying to look more hip, plugged-in, and elite” written all over it.

this sharing of regional differences made me think of something a good friend of me told me about Colorado. He said most people in Indiana strike up a conversations by asking how the person “is”(feels). In Colorado, due to the immense amount of recreation, as Thiel reasoned, people strike up conversation by asking what you ‘do’.

my sports bar experience is to always be rooting for the ‘right’ team in the midwest, as I’m a hometown junkie. I had the bar experience in downtown Boston. Although in Chicago, I had very little problem going to Bulls games to cheer on the Pacers. I think this is because we in the Midwest can be fair-weather fans, so if our teams suck, we feel like we deserve it, or rather than get mad at someone for rooting for the opposing team, we’re more pissed that our team ‘failed us’. And we often brood as to how if so-and-so would have just caught this one catch or the other…can you tell I’m hurting right now :wink: :wink:

oy! not in central ohio, man! when it comes to college football, Michigan fans beware in Columbus (esp on any given autumn fri or sat…).

SilverArrow, I’ve lived in Seattle my whole life, and this is so fucking true.[quote=“TonyZ, post:9, topic:487”]Just because I say nigger or pussy doesn’t mean I’m racist or sexist; it’s what’s in my heart, what my intentions are.[/quote]
Tony Z, I agree that people should express themselves freely. If I heard somebody use these words in a colloquial context, it would save me the time of getting to know them. I could just get straight down to not associating with them. Langauge is VERY powerful, and very telling of deeply held beliefs that often go beyond the conversation at hand. Hey, what do I know though? I’m just a severly up tight, overly “PC” Seattleite.

I think on the other hand, language is completely subjective. For example, the word subjective. You could think that I just said that language makes you think a particular thing, I might have just said it ‘subjects’ you to a particular meaning. On the other hand, I might have just said language is completely open to interpretation.

How do you know which meaning I meant to convey?

language, especially written language, is a quasi-sense. you have to sense things. you cannot make concrete determinations, no matter how often the same pattern reappears. Each track must stand on it’s own, as a tracker might say.

and that’s the irresistible force working on the immovable object. Daring to find out those contexts, rather than accepting one system or another of conversation.

just as there is no right way to get one’s food, there is no right way to speak.

but there are things we are looking for in the language of others other than etymology. If we do get to the point where words only have the meaning that people intent to give them, think of all the conversation that is witty because people rely on these meanings, and how all the wit would deflate in the model of no-meaning.

I happen to think that people united in a cause have the best intentions in mind for their fellow comrades. But how does one know the difference between knocking someone down a peg, and jesterly jousting?

I don’t think there is a written answer to the question, certainly, no counter-proof answer.

I think it’s good to tell people your words made them feel one way or another. IN those three or paragraphs, you could have, in person, just sighed, and total communication would have happened.

Superfluious!

Fine, but that doesn’t mean I’m not irratated as shit about mono-crops. I can look at that type of agriculture and understand why people think it’s a great idea, but I seriously disagree. Same goes for language, you’re right. I feel I understand where you’re coming from, but that doesn’t mean I think it’s a good thing. Respect is a big thing for me. I wont say nigger for a plethora of reasons, the main one being that I would never say that to a black persons face. I would never call something that sucks lame, cause I would never say that in front of somebody that can’t walk. I don’t use the words retarded, gay, and kike for the same reasons. Of course the list includes a number of other terms and slurs, but I’m sure you can get what I mean. I care too much about the people around me to just say, ‘get over it, I don’t mean it like that you fuckin PC babies.’ If you feel you should be able to say whatever you want and have everyone be okay with it, or take it in a ‘good’ way, you’re wrong. Folks will take insult when they feel insulted, it doesn’t matter if you’re trying to help ‘toughen their ass up’ (wich is hella condescending btw) or bro down. Additionally, how many women (and others) are gonna read a post in wich you call somebody a ‘wet pussy’ because you percieceve weakness in them, and not feel alienated and pissed? Same goes for the ‘man up’ comment. Of course you can talk to folks however you want, but you are severly limiting the amount of people that will continue wanting to talk to you. I think that’s too bad cause you seem to have some valuble knowledge that many people could benifit from. People wont learn shit from you if you hurt, and alienate them with your word choices.

Ok, can we say “n-word” instead of, you know? I mean, some words no matter how they get used still sound derogatory, at least to me.