Greece - a spark that could light the fire?

The recent riots in Greece are spreading to Spain / Italy / Denmark / Germany
The Anarchist scene in Greece has been the stuff of myth for the last years maybe decades. The internet and media spread the riot-meme far beyond national boundaries. Where struggles where once far away, local issues, they are now right up in our faces and forcing our participation one way or another.

So this thing seems to be really spreading. Sarkozy (France) is worried like hell for fear of attention towards the neverending uprising that has been part of life in France Suburbs since suburbs first came into existence. The shit has hit the fan. Police no longer seem to be able to “just” kill a boy or man or girl or whatever. Every life taken costs will cost them so much… We truly are everywhere…

This thing could be another symptom. Another one of Civ’s wounds rotting and festering. Cities burning. Civil wars. The Barbarians are no longer at the gates, but in the middle of the cities.

I’d be surprised. Greece, Spain, Denmark, and Italy have had active riot cultures for a long time. I’d be amazed if it spread to the US, but will continue to cheer them on! As well, i don’t think that too many folks in these cultures are anti-civ, just virulently anti-capitalist.

Good enough for me, for now anyway. :slight_smile:

[quote=“incendiary_dan, post:3, topic:1240”][quote author=clicketyclack link=topic=1318.msg13990#msg13990 date=1229204721]
As well, i don’t think that too many folks in these cultures are anti-civ, just virulently anti-capitalist.
[/quote]

Good enough for me, for now anyway. :)[/quote]

like i say to my friends, those anti-capitalists can dream about their post-capitalist stateless utopias of cities and high technology, but when capitalism comes crashing down, those dreams will meet the hard grit of reality… :wink:

[quote=“wildeyes, post:4, topic:1240”][quote author=incendiary_dan link=topic=1318.msg13996#msg13996 date=1229222458]

Good enough for me, for now anyway. :slight_smile:
[/quote]

like i say to my friends, those anti-capitalists can dream about their post-capitalist stateless utopias of cities and high technology, but when capitalism comes crashing down, those dreams will meet the hard grit of reality… ;-)[/quote]

My thoughts exactly. What I see is Civ eating itself from within. Trying to destroy itself. Im pretty much convinced that anarchy (not anarchism) will result in less and less civilization as groups become more and more autonomous. Without forced labor it will all come crashing down no matter what the leftist idealists are thingking. It is indeed in leftist interest to SEIZE statepower instead of trashing it into the ground to bury it.
Again what i see in the rioting mobs is not so much the radical politics of the next generation, rather i see the desillusioned youth all across europe. Who offer us no alternative. No replacement for Civ.

In order to go forward, we sometimes must look back.

take care people!

I was at the first annual Los Angeles Anarchist Book Fair the other day. They had a discussion panel with a number of people representing different facets of anarchism. Represented were, Anarcho-Syndicalism, Anarcho-Punk, Anarcho-Communism, Anarcho-Primitivism (represented by John Zerzan), and Anarcho-Feminism. Even the Anarcho-Syndicalist (who’s a member of the IWW) said he thinks we are looking at a post-industrial future.