Good indigenous cookbooks?

Hi again!

After readed Tending the Wild, I’m searching for good books about indigenous food preparing and storing culture. Main focus is about flora food.

I especially search for Northern Region (boreal climate, zone 3-1) cookbook but also southern areas well.

What I want to learn from the book is:

[ul][li]original methods for preparing food: earthovens, hot coals, metates, mortars… [/li]
[li]what kind of dishes they ate: pinoles, dried berry breads, soups…[/li]
[li]how they ate the food and the culture surrounding it: food for visitors, special food dishes…[/li]
[li]how they stored the food: berries dried smashing them and mixing with seed or grain flour to make thin bread.[/li][/ul]

Any suggestions??? ??? ;D

kettuvaloinen

Finnish? I’v been looking for the same thing, this is only close thing I’v found:

Vilda växter som mat & medicin” av Stefan Källman (ISBN:91-534-1690-2)

It’s exellent though!

I have a book called “Gathering what the great Nature Provided: food traditions of the Gitksan” - not sure how available it is but it has some great recipes for fermented salmon roe, dried salmon eyes, roasted moose nose as well as berry cake and dried hemlock bark cake preparation to name a few recipes. The Gitksan aren’t quite in the boreal forests - more on the inland fringe of the northern PNW. Cool book though - closest thing i’ve seen to what you’re looking for.

Paleoplanet might have some info on this topic also, just google it and go to the forum.

Actually I am really interested in this, especially the storage part! Now theres enough berries and plants here up north that are edible but how to preserve them through a long winter? These kind of skills are much more essential up here then further south, we need ways to prepare food that can tolerate 6 months or so of storage without spoiling if we are going to survive through our(sometimes) hellish winters…

Miles, (or anyone else!) if you’ve got anything good on rehydrating and/or cooking with dried salmon eggs, please post!

I still have some and my last effort at preparing them turned out, er, kinda indigestible. I think maybe they needed some special care I didn’t know about. And how would you serve them so they really taste good? I consider them a pretty precious food and I’d love to do them the honor they deserve. :slight_smile: