Giant Reed

Ah, yes, Arundo donax. That huge nonnative grass. Ai know its great for some wood purposes, but ai’ve also read that its a bulb edible, though it didnt give any more details and my brother’s natural history teacher said he thought it was too woody to be edible. Anyone know about this???

I love this Mediterranean gone wild. I’ve read the seeds are a good grain for flour. I wonder if the shoots are good.

cooool… :o

I’ve seen ray mears eat reeds-roots in ‘wild-foods ep3’ and i’ve just gathered some. Anyone any advice on reeds and giant-reeds? experience? anything is welcome.

So i’ve just baked a small part of the roots and it smelled like sweet-corn! Very sweet and quite nice. It smells much better then it looks for sure! It tasted sweet too.

Just wondering, do they look like spring onions? (Green reed, white root?) They taste starchy when raw, like potatoes.

If so then I think I used to eat those things when I was a kid. Unsupervised of course! ;D

[quote=“BlueHeron, post:6, topic:542”]Just wondering, do they look like spring onions? (Green reed, white root?) They taste starchy when raw, like potatoes.

If so then I think I used to eat those things when I was a kid. Unsupervised of course! ;D[/quote]
Nope, not unless your onions grew 20-30 ft. tall.

[quote=“chase, post:7, topic:542”][quote author=BlueHeron link=topic=581.msg9621#msg9621 date=1208206882]
Just wondering, do they look like spring onions? (Green reed, white root?) They taste starchy when raw, like potatoes.

If so then I think I used to eat those things when I was a kid. Unsupervised of course! ;D
[/quote]
Nope, not unless your onions grew 20-30 ft. tall.[/quote]

I need to start reading at the beginning of a thread… ::slight_smile: