"Genetic Engineering" and/versus influence on populations

Quick background for this post, I read a book completely opposite to everything I really feel strongly about, it wretched at me reading different parts of it, and I just had to skim a lot of it.
The book, Challenging Natue, written by a molecular biologist from a very ‘scientific’ point of view, went through and noted how
a. Mother nature is not a kind mother, but completely random based on rules outside of our control, and that humans having ‘intelligence’ should shape and guide this influence
b. ripped apart at thoughts of soul/spirit (however I agreed a lot with him on modern view of the soul, but I don’t mix soul and spirit as the same thing as he did) and how ‘right wing’ religion and ‘left wing’ spiritualism impedes science from ‘remaking Eden’
c. talked about ‘natural’ and synthetic chemicals
d. supports genetic engineering

The type of things he supports/interested in: farming GE pigs for human organ transplants…

I actually think he made some interesting points, though some points I don’t think he saw. First of all, we can take a look at a lot of the plant food we eat, and without it even from ‘GE’ crops, has most certainly had a genetic influence from human selection and growth. Modern apples, bananas, etc. So where comes this line of ‘natural’ influence and ‘evolution’ that we influence on a population (and influence on us, though he didn’t make any mention on that), the line of changing ones environment to live and thrive and changing to the environment to live and thrive.

My resonse to that is, so what if humans are more intelligent than other animals? Lions have sharper teeth and claws than most animals. Would we expect a pride of lions to kill every antelope and zebra they can catch and still avoid painful consequences? Because that’s what civilized people expect to do, only with smart smart intellects, not sharp sharp teeth, and moreover they wreak this imbalanced behavior upon the entire planet.