Fukushima Radiation

I know it is incredibly selfish to ask “how does it effect me?” but I do want to know. Japan of course has covered up the seriousness since the beginning, and the US has - at the most unbelievable time - decided to reduce testing of radioactivity in food, water, and milk, so that leaves me room to speculate and so I wonder A. What do I need to do about Fukishima right now? B. What are the implications if, as one analyst said - they’ll struggle with this plant for 80 years, and C. Does this mean anything for drinking rainwater, etc. in the wake of collapse if the world has hundreds more nuclear plants and Civ will have fewer resources to keep them under control?

Don’t know how serious it really is, but want to take it seriously enough. Plus always a chance of a decline in complexity involving a nuke or two - if the Mayans had them, I wonder if the elites would have considered them.

On the potentially practical side of things: Doing a little research, letting water filter through 6-7 inches of mostly clay soil taken from at least 4 inches below the surface soil supposedly filters out a lot of radiation. Might also imply springs have filtered it already.

“Filtering through earth removes essentially all of the fallout particles and more of the dissolved radioactive material than does boiling-water distillation, a generally impractical purification method that does not eliminate dangerous radioactive iodines. Earth filters are also more effective in removing radioactive iodines than are ordinary ion-exchange water softeners or charcoal filters. In areas of heavy fallout, about 99% of the radioactivity in water could be removed by filtering it through ordinary earth.”
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message1420022/pg2

Does anyone have any good updates on the situation in Japan?

Hm, not sure how reliable the stories are, but given their government’s track record, have to extrapolate:

Residents Detect Radiation Hotspots in Tokyo
http://www.klpw.com/content/residents-detect-radiation-hotspots-tokyo

Radiation hotspots have been detected all over Tokyo in the last week, raising new concerns about how far contamination from the Fukushima nuclear accident has spread. ... Fueling an already considerable amount of distrust in authorities, the Tokyo hotspots have been detected mainly by local officials and residents, and not at all by the Japanese government.

Breaking News: Water vapor splashed at reactor 1, 4.7 Sv/h
http://fukushima-diary.com/2011/10/breaking-news-water-vapor-splashed-at-reactor-1-4-7svh/

10/13/2011, Tepco conducted measurements by robot around where water vapor was splashing. They measured 4.7 Sv/h, where it was 4.0 Sv/h in June. It is located at South east side of the reactor 1. According to Tepco, it was splashing from underground in June, but now it’s stopped. They assume it is the highly contaminated water that fills the basement floor. It is assumed that melted fuel rods are sinking deep underground, which is called China Syndrome.