Foraging vs wildcrafting

i was wondering how you all see the difference between the practices of “foraging” and “wildcrafting”.

i used to think wildcrafting had to do with processing the things you foraged (hence the “crafting” part.) but the more i read, the more it seems that the term has more to do with gathering wild plants.

thoughts?

from what i understand, wildcrafting means “gathered from the wild”, as opposed to the garden or farm. herbalists have used this term for many years now to describe how they’ve obtain certain herbs.

The term “foraging” anthropologically means “eating while on the move.” You forage from one place to another. This is different than “gathering” which refers to “going out and bringing plant food back to a base camp.”

aha. you guys have helped me understand this better.

i think the common “industry” terminologies used by the likes of Gibbons and Brill and Tatum, et al. generally use foraging to mean wildcrafting.

Well , I definately consider myself a forager , I glean what I can from where ever I can and consider it a gift from God . Sea weed in the spring on those strong tides ,for my veg beds …driftwood in the winter when I need to light my woodburning stove…I am lucky to have abit of space and good earth in which to sow some seeds …
…Foraging is the satisfying searching through the lush green garden of planet Earth…where-ever you may be . "Hunting " is more about stalking down meat . I think . Then theres "scrounging "and “recycling” …great fun !