[Fifth World] A Game of Awareness

I need some help from the more advanced trackers here. I don’t fancy myself a very good tracker yet, though I’ve put in enough dirt time to have the basics drop on me like a ton of bricks. But for those of you who do have some more experience, what ideas do you have about how to make a game of awareness instead of conflict, built around allocating little beads of awareness around a medicine wheel?

Modern RPG's evolved out of wargames, and since we conceive of the universe as constant struggle, those mechanics worked well. You'll even hear, quite often, the mantra that "story is conflict." But what if that just arises, like so many other things we take for granted, from our cultural expectations, and the basic conflict required for our way of life? What if story could also trace relationship, based not on conflict, but on the attempt to synchronize two parties?

In tracking, different modes of awareness mean a great deal. Owl eyes sacrifice focus for breadth, while focus sacrifices breadth. So we already have there an idea of “resource allocation,” if you will, where the “resource” simply means your attention. And we have different kinds of awareness: the synaesthetic awareness of the Flesh, the imaginative and intellectual awareness of the wind, our internal awareness expressed as emotions mapped onto the landscape, and so on. I’ve found this already mapped, quite elegantly, in the medicine wheel.

What if the “character sheet” took the form of a medicine wheel, with concentric circles, that fundamentally mapped your character’s current awareness, and the game’s mechanics mostly modeled different ways of shifting that awareness? What if, instead of beating a target number, you had to synchronize your awareness with some Other? What if, instead of conflict, this game modeled awareness?

I do not know how to do that yet, so I welcome suggestions.

Could something as simple as, “match the other character’s pattern of awareness” work? It seems like it should involve something more, I don’t know, nuanced than that.

I also had a breakthrough recently, realizing that I should have listened to Willem. But following through his essay on E-Primitive, replacing skills or talents with relationships will certainly make this much more of a tracker’s game. Think of it: any time you want to do something, you’ll sit there with your friends, sharing your experiences with different, other-than-human persons. If you find yourself becoming obsessed and want to become a better gamer, you’ll have to start putting in some dirt time! :smiley:

A little bump, perhaps, a little inspiration from the thread I started on Story Games, where we’ve got some ideas starting to flow.

Today, I have mancala on the brain. You have two stores and two tracks. It seems like we should have some chance of finding a model in there of approaching the Other, complete with the opportunities to hide, to reveal, and even to miss the critical moment of revelation entirely.

Can you make a game of tracking out of that and some different colored beads? (Right now, we use beads to track relationships; actually, the character sheet has begun to look a bit like a quipu line, with a bunch of strings of beads (your relationships) hanging from a single thread (your character).

I started another thread on this question, over at the Forge.

Not to open a whole can of worms, but while sharing/playing with the Dogs in the Vineyard dice mechanic with a friend of mine, it reminded me of all the native gambling traditions. What do you think of that?

Could a person possibly dovetail the native love of gambling with the belief that relationships, in the end, dictate results?

I ask this because Dogs in the Vineyard comes pretty frickin’ close to doing this exact thing. You don’t play the game to win, it doesn’t really work for that. You play the game to determine how you win, and how you lose. You already can feel the way the wind blows as soon as you step into a situation (at least as far as I can see), but the back and forth exchange of sacrifice gets illuminated.

And besides, I enjoyed the illusion of random outcomes(ooo, what will the dice say next?) within the context of knowing that the story would arc inevitably and satisfyingly in the way we wanted it to go, to make a good story. Just the details get sorted out on the way.

In the end, it felt awfully similar to how you describe the feel of your bidding mechanic.

hmm, i cant seem to find the storygames thread jason, is that just my computer being stubborn again?

I suppose you’re making a story-game (not the traditional gamist/simulationist rpg!) I read all the latest posts i could find from you on the fifth world and your current line of thinking on getting attuned to whatever it is your’re aiming for. I like the way you’re thinking but i have to let it sink in for awhile. Still, some first thoughts (ramblings, forgive me) that came to me were

in polaris there is some kind of attunement taking place. A player narrates for example that “he is roaming the barren land in a feverish dream of grief and guilt”, THEN another player claims,(for xample) "BUT ONLY IF … the voices of his lost relations finally show him a place safe enough to bury his grief " , THEN the first player could say something like …“AND SO IT WAS”… and agree on the narrative created together

in such a case i think the players (or participants) are working together to create a good story even though i realize this is probably not exactly what you are looking for i find i fit for mentioning because here players are encouraged to come to some form of agreement instead of conflict.

Also i was curious as to how you’d handle the concept of alienation? is it merely a previously invested-in relation becoming more shallow? or are you planning on creating some kind of negative relation? Are relationships 2 dimensional as in either heavily invested in or shallow? or will there be possibilities for different kinds of invesment?

When i think of investment and storygames, of perception and of attunment, i think of players allocating/taking relationship into/from those parts of the story they deem important enough to invest in. Breaking down or Adding to a relation asks for a scene or resolution of issues with that particular story-element. Is this getting close to what you have in mind when you think of relatioship and focussing perception?

Now ill shut up and actually think about it… hehe…cheers take care!

I’ve put off answering this for quite some time now, thinking in just another day or so I’d have some idea of what I can do with this mancala idea … but so far, just one possibility, and I don’t know if it really works.

I haven’t gotten a chance to play Dogs yet, but I think I can change that sometime soon. It sounds like the dice mechanics could really work. But that wouldn’t make for a very evocative mechanic. For that, look at some (admittedly more traditional) games like Deadlands, which uses poker chips, or more in keeping with story games, Dust Devils, which uses playing cards. All three games have Western or pseudo-Western settings, but the latter two have mechanics evocative of the setting. I may end up giving up on this, and if that happens, The Fifth World may end up with a variation of Dogs’ mechanics for its core, but at the moment, I really hope that I can figure something out along these lines, especially since it really feels like it captures more of that sense of pursuit or tracking, rather than overcoming.

And sorry all, it looks like you can’t read the Story Games thread without joining their forum.

in such a case i think the players (or participants) are working together to create a good story even though i realize this is probably not exactly what you are looking for i find i fit for mentioning because here players are encouraged to come to some form of agreement instead of conflict.

Actually, I aim for something very much along those lines. I want the game to exercise those collaborative, storytelling muscles. Oral traditions differ from literature in that they rely on constant collaboration, rather than the notion of the individual genius. Call-and-response, for example, plays a big role in African oral traditions; hence the stereotype of the loud black person who talks through the movie. That stereotype comes from two different interpretations of what form art should take: the European expectation that art comes from the genius of an individual artist, versus the African expectation that art comes from a call-and-response of social engagement. Storytellers (as opposed to authors) collaborate. We need to restore that sense of art as communal and social, to end the tyranny of the individual artist. That plays a crucial part in developing new oral traditions. So yes, communal storytelling presents a very distinct goal for me here.

Also i was curious as to how you'd handle the concept of alienation? is it merely a previously invested-in relation becoming more shallow? or are you planning on creating some kind of negative relation? Are relationships 2 dimensional as in either heavily invested in or shallow? or will there be possibilities for different kinds of invesment?

Actually, that gets to one of the things I like most about the game right now: it gets right to the ambivalence of relationship. The world turns by relationship, but relationship doesn’t always mean peace, joy and love. Predator and prey have a relationship. Enemies hate each other with as much intensity as lovers love one another; in both cases, those relationships create those people. The strength of the relationship really says how strong that relationship has become, and how much of the others’ influence forms you. It says nothing about the nature of that relationship. When a friend betrays you, that relationship does not become any weaker; that betrayal forms you as much as your former friendship ever did.

Now, this may come back around to the idea of blessings and curses, which could define better the nature of your relationship, but relationship means a web a whole lot stickier than just friends and allies.

Depending on what other mechanics come into play, relationships may have several colors of beads, indicating different kinds of investment; either Flesh, Breath or Word, or possibly the four cardinal directions, but we need to work out things like the core mechanic before we can figure that out. I feel OK with just one kind, too, since we have concepts like mana or orenda.

Is this getting close to what you have in mind when you think of relatioship and focussing perception?

Not really. :slight_smile: I want to figure out some way to model a trackers’ understanding of perception, as a core mechanic for a story game. In Dogs, the core mechanic involves rolling dice, making raises, and so forth. I haven’t figured out The Fifth World’s core mechanic yet.

Enemies hate each other with as much intensity as lovers love one another; in both cases, those relationships create those people. The strength of the relationship really says how strong that relationship has become, and how much of the others' influence forms you. It says nothing about the nature of that relationship. When a friend betrays you, that relationship does not become any weaker; that betrayal forms you as much as your former friendship ever did.

To stay clear, I don’t want to push Dogs in the Vineyard, as I don’t even know how I feel about it myself, as I play other games that really provide the storytelling that I want. BUT! I must note that it tracks relationships just as you say…as an numerical investment of dice, love or hate doesn’t matter.

It does this (if I understand it right, which I think I do) for the express purpose of answering the question, ‘What do you want this story to talk about? On what issues do you want the central moments to turn?’. Love or hate regardless, if I want to have a conflict with my brother at some point, or to have his influence in the story, because I think it really forms and defines the character, then I invest a lot in the relationship.

So, if I wanted to tell an animist story, and had a character who I wanted to have struggles with Bear, I’d put a lot of dice into that relationship. Does Bear help me? Hinder me? It doesn’t seem to matter. It only says, “This will make Bear a huge part of your story.”

I do like this. Which horrifies more, that Bear hates you, or that Bear simply doesn’t care?

Yikes.

Jason, you are probably familiar with Relationship Maps ? When im reading your posts i get the idea that you are leaving the more traditional forms of defining a character by letting a character be defined by the place he takes in his relationship map. Which i totally dig. This would allow story-elements to “really” evolve and change/shift during play, not only superficially (like experience gaining) . This way i suddenly think i understand why I’ve seen you talking of charactersheets that look like webs or strings.

So to better understand where you are going i have some questions for you

Question 1: Do you make 1 big relationship map and let every participant be defined in this web without seperate character sheets (a big story map)? or do you make seperate webs that tie into a bigger story web?

Question 2: You are using different-colored beads to show “in this web” the current state of all relations (investment + type) ? (just to get this one straight)

Question 3: Will players play protagonists only? or are you aiming for something in which everything can be defined from its relationshipmap and thus possibly played using the same system ?

Question 4: Can you tell me a little more about the way you’re planning to share GM-like responsibilities. and what type of stance you want to reinforce?

These are just some questions so i can get a better picture of what your core-mechanics should positively reinforce.

Im really interested in seeing where this goes Jason! good luck!

~sankofa!

I too have thought the Relationship Maps might find a place in the Fifth World. If you look at my play report for IAWA, you’ll see a link to a relationship mapping play aid I used that really helped. It reminded me a lot of what I do when I teach my riddle workshops!

That really gets me thinking. Hmmmm.

Maybe the Buddhists have the oneness thing right. It all seems to come together. wow. :wink:

Love or hate regardless, if I want to have a conflict with my brother at some point, or to have his influence in the story, because I think it really forms and defines the character, then I invest a lot in the relationship.

More than that, I think our constant attempts to boil relationships down to “love” or “hate” trivializes their profundity. I don’t want to have the comically simplified vision of how the natural world loves you; you live in the world, participate in it, dwell in it. Every relationship worth holding onto involves far more ambivalence and complexity than the pure strains of "love"™ or hate.

“Love” is a registered trademark of the Disney Corporation. All rights reserved.

You also have notes of resentment, dependence, infatuation, fear, obligation, and a thousand other emotions, and they can change, quickly and easily. But the intensity of that relationship remains. Those relationships molded you and shaped you. You could take it as a measure of which Others put in the most to make you; you could take it as a history of your encounters; you could take it as a measure of the intensity of your relationships. All apply.

Does Bear help me? Hinder me? It doesn't seem to matter. It only says, "This will make Bear a huge part of your story."

I’d interpret it more as, “Bear made me.” Bear might love you or hate you, but regardless of the nature of your relationship, that relationship still created you.

Jason, you are probably familiar with Relationship Maps?

The relationship system we’ve got does a little sleight of hand. It looks a little different, but it actually draws you a relationship map, just with strings and beads. It amazes me how much a character sheet can philosophize. By defining a character not in terms of attributes, but in terms of where he dwells on a relationship map, I think we define the character in oral, animist, traditional terms.

This way i suddenly think i understand why I've seen you talking of charactersheets that look like webs or strings.

Well, physically, instead of a sheet of paper in front of you when you play, you have a number of strings, each one representing a relationship, with some number of beads on it, representing the strength of that relationship. You might have some pits of other beads, with wagering beads as the main mechanic, but yes, it all draws a different kind of relationship map.

Do you make 1 big relationship map and let every participant be defined in this web without seperate character sheets (a big story map)? or do you make seperate webs that tie into a bigger story web?

I rather like this sleight of hand; each character has their own relationships in front of them. You could draw out a relationship map by putting it all together, but you don’t have that god’s eye view; you just see your relationships.

You are using different-colored beads to show "in this web" the current state of all relations (investment + type) ? (just to get this one straight)

Well, the number of beads tells that; we might or might not have different colors, if we use them to distinguish different types of encounters (Flesh, Breath, Word? North, South, East, West?)

Will players play protagonists only? or are you aiming for something in which everything can be defined from its relationshipmap and thus possibly played using the same system?

Anybody the players play would stand as a protagonist in that story. The core book will just go into single human characters, but I already have ideas for playing clans in multi-generational stories, or playing other-than-human characters. The other-than-player persons :slight_smile: use the same system, though I hope to have a more abbreviated version available. I like the distinction between “Wild Cards” and extras in Savage Worlds because it really puts the emphasis on who matters to the story.

Can you tell me a little more about the way you're planning to share GM-like responsibilities. and what type of stance you want to reinforce?

Some ideas

In the interest of cross-germinating good ideas, take a look at Creature of Destiny’s idea on the Forge!

I’d interpret it more as, “Bear made me.” Bear might love you or hate you, but regardless of the nature of your relationship, that relationship still created you.[/quote]

Well put. You’ve got me on board. :slight_smile: Good 'ol Bear.

Another great idea, this one from the Story Games forum. The thread, for those who belong to both fora.

This one uses three colored beads for Flesh, Breath and Word. The number of beads thus indicates the depth of your relationship, while the colors stratify the history of your relationship. If your Coyote string goes Yellow, Yellow, Yellow, Blue, Blue, Red, Red, Red, then you first offered stories about Coyote (Yellow for Word), then spent less time imagining and thinking about Coyote (Blue for Breath), then spent time observing Coyote (Red for Flesh).

So, you find the appropriate relationship for what you mean to do, count off beads in time with some phrase or song (how to determine the phrase or song, I haven’t worked out yet; maybe a prayer or call to the person that string relates to?), and whatever color you land on tells you how you do.

Some variations. Perhaps not the particular color of the bead you land on, but sequences of bead colors? Perhaps the number of the same color in sequence that you land on signifies the intensity (you land on the third red bead above, so you count 3 red as your result)?

Does anyone think that “the color wheel” works for the Fifth World, if we cut it down to four colors and put it on the medicine wheel?

How about placing the different colored beads in an black pouch or bag? As a resolution mechanic draw beads from the bag. Maybe your players can customize their own beadbags by their actions. Or if they listen carefully to the stories about coyote they will get 2 beads of attunement or whathaveyou and draw some more from the bag as you see fit. Maybe you can place the drawn beads on your relationshipmap? narrate accordingly. Or draw beads to use in this particular scene?

Lets say. Im hunting deer. I narrate some really creative use of my relations and you decide to hand me over 3 beads of “attunement” for this scene. I also have to draw 3 beads from the bag. Then I HAVE to spent all the beads this scene. The attunement beads i use to align myself with coyote. There could be other type of beads. Like offensive beads. Taker beads. Pride beads. Etc. narrate everything you draw into the resolution of the scene?

well just some things to think about. limitless possibilities.

How about combining the beadbag with the mancala? i don’t know much about the mancala, but what if the beads you are using have different implications when put in different places on the mancala-board? When i put a bead that increases my relation in a pocket that is connected to “insult” then i could narrate a very personal insult guaranteed to get a response later on from the insulted party. Also you could use this somehow to counter the placement of beads by your own beads somehow… have to think on this some more.

jason, tell me if you find it easier if i respond to topics concerning the fifth world at one forum only (story games / rewild.info)? to keep it all together?

Maybe it’s better if i discuss game-mechanical issues with you on the story-games fourm and the more animist-perspective / wild-side of your game here ?

just so i stay on topic…

My last few posts sounded a little hurried, so let me fill in more of what some of these ideas look like, and give them some names.

The Bet

The simplest (and original!) mechanic, this one assumes that each person has:

[ul][li]Some number of pools, representing different kinds of effort (Possibly Flesh, Breath and Word; possibly the four directions of the medicine wheel)[/li]
[li]Some number of relationships[/li][/ul]

So, in the straight form of the bet, each person makes a secret wager of some number of beads from the appropriate pool, depending on the nature of the conflict. Then, the reveal. Whoever bet more, wins. The number of beads in the relationship determines how many beads you can recover, the rest you lose. That would model sudden decisions, like, did your arrow hit the target, or did you make that jump? In the iterative version, modeling things where you can escalate like fights or arguments, you could add more beads, and that stops when both sides stop adding beads. Once again, the person with the most beads bet wins; you get to take back a number of beads equal to your relationship, and lose the rest.

My thoughts on this. Does the escalation lead to a back-and-forth of one bead at a time? Does this really make for a game of awareness, or just overcoming an adversary?

The Mancala Mechanic

Andrew posted the best version of this that I’ve heard yet on the Forge, especially when combined with Daniel’s early post in that thread. You have a starting configuration, and then, based on the appropriate relationship, you can either:

[ul][li]Add some number of beads to one of your pits[/li]
[li]Remove some number of beads from one of their pits[/li]
[li]Move some number of beads from one of your pits, to another of your pits[/li][/ul]

So, let’s say you want to hunt a deer. You have 10 beads in your relationship with deer. So, you can add beads to one of your pits, remove beads from one of the deer’s pits, or move beads from one of your pits to another of your pits. Let’s say you decide to add three beads to one pit. 10-3=7, you have seven moves left. This can conclude in one of two ways:

[ul][li]The encounter. The two sides match. Whoever moved last gets to narrate how the encounter unfolds, based on the previous narration. So if the hunter moves last to align the two sides, he would likely narrate that he takes the deer; the deer might narrate that he bolts away at the last moment. So, the encounter occurs, and whoever moves last gets to narrate the encounter unfolding on their own terms. Which means you not only want to reach that alignment, you want to do so on your terms.[/li]
[li]The escape. One side or the other runs out of moves without any alignment. No encounter occurs. I think madunkieg’s suggestion of a “distraction pile” on the Story Games thread might work here: every escape adds beads to the distraction pile, which could hamper you in future encounters (perhaps you don’t get your relationship beads to move; you get your relationship beads minus the beads in your distraction pile?)[/li][/ul]

My thoughts on this. Does a better job of modeling the idea of the encounter, and certainly Daniel’s idea of starting configurations drawn out with cave art styles, even to the extent of posters, adds an exciting new element. Opens up the potential to either actively hide, or actively reveal oneself, by either avoiding alignment, or pursuing it. This might offer the best possibility so far. But where does the possibility to burn up your relationship for extra power come in? Maybe after you’ve exhausted your relationship’s normal store for moves, you could begin taking beads straight from the string to buy more moves?

The Necklace

In this model, different colored beads matter more. These could differentiate between Flesh, Breath and Word, or between the four directions of the medicine wheel. For now, let’s use Flesh, Breath, and Word for example’s sake, but keep in mind that we could change the colors and dividing lines, too.

For relationships, you still have a string of beads, but now the kinds of beads matter. So, an encounter with a physical coyote would add a Flesh bead to your Coyote relationship; hearing a Coyote story would add a Breath bead; exchanging gifts with Coyote would add a Word bead.

So, you come to a particular encounter where you need Coyote. Let’s say you want to coyote around the village perimeter so no one sees you. Now you use your Coyote string almost like prayer beads or a rosary; you make a quick plea to coyote to help you, thumbing off beads in some set pattern as you do. Now, look at the bead you currently have in your finger and thumb. That will give you your result. The third red bead in a row, right before a blue one, would give you 3 Flesh. If the village gets a 2 Flesh from, say, their Hawk relationship, your 3 Flesh wins. If you have a Breath bead, though, it won’t help you; you need to coyote fleshly for this, so you have 0 Flesh vs. 2 Flesh. They spot you.

My thoughts on this. I like the free-wheeling dynamic of actually calling on other-than-human persons for help, but I see a lot of potential for abuse. To avoid that, and to keep it functional as a game, we’d need some kind of rules for keeping the exact form of the plea out of the player’s direct control, lest every player figure out exactly how many words/syllables/lines/whatever that it will take to get the result they want. This seems to encourage players to specialize with variation. Sure, having all 10 of your beads with Coyote will help if you want to coyote about the woods all the time, but without some Breath or Word beads in there, how will you ever coyote up a clever plan, or coyote someone out of a deal? By the same token, you’d never want something like red, blue, yellow, blue, red, blue, yellow, because everything would have a power of just 1! You’d want red, red, blue, blue, blue, yellow, yellow, so you get the most out of each type. So it seems to me like you’d optimize for runs of 2-4 at a time, before switching over to a different type. Also, this mechanic seems to get us back to the problem of overcoming adversity, rather than approaching the other.

The Color Wheel

This one comes straight from Jared Sorenson, I’ve just spun it around to the medicine wheel.

So you have the medicine wheel, which gives you four different pools of differently colored beads. All the beads go into an opaque bag. First, you decide the nature of the conflict, whether it comes from the north, east, south or west. Then, you pull a number of beads from your bag equal to the number of beads in the appropriate relationship. For each bead you pull of the appropriate color, you have one success; the player with the most successes, wins.

So, consider an intellectual debate about the next tribe over. The conflict comes from the north, associated with intellect and wisdom. You use your relationship with that tribe, in which you have four beads. So you pull four beads from you bag. You pull two white (north) beads, one black (west) bead, and one red (south) bead. So you have two successes. The other player have six beads with the tribe, and pulls six beads from his pouch, but he pulls one white, three red, and two yellow (east) beads, so he only has one success. You win.

My thoughts on this. The idea of competing numbers of successes certainly fits into the general range of existing RPG mechanics, which puts me on the most solid ground of any of these alternatives. But it also recapitulates the notion of overcoming adversity, rather than approaching the other.

jason, tell me if you find it easier if i respond to topics concerning the fifth world at one forum only (story games / rewild.info)? to keep it all together?

I check all of them regularly, though I don’t always have time to respond. I do try to answer all at about the same time, though. I post stuff here to get the input of people who understand tracking, rewilding, animism, and the spirit of the game; I post to the Forge to get the input of people who understand games and gaming; and I post to Story Games to get the input of people who understand the nuances and problems of particularly narrativist gaming. You have my problem of dwelling at the point where all these trails cross over each other, so you decide where you’d like to post. Obviously, when we get down and dirty with the animism, folks here will appreciate that a lot more than at Story Games or the Forge, while some in-depth story games discussion might seem more appropriate at Story Games (heh, or maybe not…).