Fiction

I read a lot of non-fiction centered around re-wilidng, and I read a lot of fiction, period, but the kinds of fiction that I like best are ones that also have something meaningful to say, in addition to being a great story. So I was wondering if anyone out there had any suggections for fiction books that are really good stories but also have somehting interesting to say about rewilding.

This whole idea actually started becuase I just read Stanely Park by Timothy Taylor, a brilliant book that looks at our conneciton to places. It also features the catching and eating of squirells, racoons, and ducks, all caught in stanely park, which is really interesting from the urban hunting point of view. (plus, a lot of it is talks about food, which can never be a bad thing in my books :), and the rest of it about anthropology, so you can’t go wrong there)

Not necessarily about rewilding, but I recommended the two books Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents by Octavia Butler over in the book recommendation thread. Butler paints a very realistic picture of collapse in the novel.

I hope that The Fifth World novels will rise above the par we’ve generally seen thus far for gaming novels. I want to see novels with real literary value. Giuli says she’ll set her next novel in the Fifth World, with a kind of anti-Beowulf storyline, so I really look forward to that.

Parable of the sower is now on hold at my library.

I’ll await such novels eagerly :), I once tried to read a D&D novel and it was horrible, so it won’t take much to go above that. I think it helps that there will be more than just a desire to make money behind these - there might actually be some intellectual integretity involved.