Feral Futures Rewilding/Anti-Civ Gathering in Colorado

feral [a. existing in a wild or untamed state. b. having escaped from domestication and returned, partly or wholly, to a wild state]

futures [a. all that is to be. b. the indefinite and infinite times yet to come]

—————————————————————————————————————————

[center]“In all my travels, the only time I ever slept deeply was when I was with wolves… The days with my wolf family multiplied. I have no idea how many months I spent with them but I wanted it to last forever - it was far better than returning to the world of my own kind. Today, though most memories of my long journey are etched in tones of grey, the time spent with the wolves… is drenched in colour. Those were the most beautiful days I had ever experienced.”

Quote from Misha Defonseca, a Jewish orphan who, from the ages of seven to 11, wandered through occupied Europe in World War II, living on wild berries, raw meat and food stolen from farmhouses, and occasionally teaming up with wolves.[/center]

—————————————————————————————————————————

‘Feral Futures’ is a free, informal, and loosely structured rewilding, anarcho-primitivist, anti-civ/post-civ gathering taking place in Southwest Colorado from the New Moon at the end of May (around the 24th) to the Full Moon at the beginning of June (around the 6th or 7th). Dates are approximate. Folks are free to come and go as they please. The site is at a sacred hot springs along a wild river in National Forest bordered by Wilderness Area.

‘Feral Futures’ is not a gathering of anti-civ purists. We believe in Red, Black, and Green solidarity and unity, and in that spirit of revolt, would like to provide space at ‘Feral Futures,’ closer to the parking, for a direct action camp encompassing things that are not necessarily within the traditional framework of “primitivism” and/or “rewilding,” but can nonetheless be utilized in an anti-civ praxis.

We are seeking folks who would like to facilitate workshops and skills shares in rewilding, survival skills, and earth skills, as well as folks who can facilitate direct action trainings, civil disobedience workshops, know your rights trainings, anti-oppression trainings, etc. We are also seeking medics, healers, storytellers, wisdom keepers, and anyone else who has something to offer.

We envision various camps at Feral Futures, including a communal kitchen, a reading library & lounge, a direct action camp, a first aid/medic/healer’s village, and a sacred space at the hot springs themselves.

Because Feral Futures is a free and informal gathering of equals, rather than a for-profit event with an entrance fee and “experts” who provide one-way transmission of knowledge, what “we” have to offer is much more about what you are able to provide and offer. We cannot do this without you.

If you are interested, and for site directions, contact feralfutures@riseup.net

Workshops will include:

• wild food identification, sustainable harvesting, and preparation workshops courtesy of Durango’s own Turtle tribe: http://www.turtlelakerefuge.org/

• tree climbing: how to safely ascend a rope and mid-line rappel down, traversing or ziplining if we can set it up.

• tree life: advanced skills such as how to weave dreamcatchers, anchor ropes, double-line rappel, tree tarpology and tie in trees, getting in with a p-cord shot or maybe a bow and then tying traverses. this one would take place in the canopy so we’d need several harnesses.

• ground missions: how to be stealthy in the woods, know human, animal and vehicle tracks, practice blocking roads, concealment etc.

(It would be awesome if people could bring harnesses or other climbing gear. If anyone is into tree climbing already, you can check out the climbing guides at http://efclimbers.net for details on how we climb and the gear that’s needed.)

• primitive skills

• decolonizing/rewilding work

• self-defense

• magical activism

• group process skills

We also hope the Earth First! Roadshow will be stopping by! (winkwinkhinthint)

What to bring (suggestions):

Personal items:

• tent

• sleeping bag

• food & water

• water filter (suggested)

• toilet paper

• adequate clothing for hot days, cold nights, rain, etc.

• your own bowl, cup, utensils, etc.

• flashlight/headlamp & extra batteries

• sunscreen and bug repellant (if you use it)

• swimsuit & towel (there are swimming holes & hot springs!)

• fishing gear & license (world-class fly fishing!)

• your knowledge, wisdom, and skills

• your friends!

Communal items (to share or donate):

• tools (like shovels for digging shitters and hatchets/axes/saws for cutting up fire wood)

• food and water (a communal kitchen will form)

• kitchen gear (large pots, pans, water containers, etc.)

• tarps and rope

• climbing gear (harnesses, ropes, etc.) for tree climbing/sitting trainings

• First Aid gear!

• climbing gear for tree climbing workshops (harnesses, ropes, etc.)

• random primitive skills supplies (you know better than we do!)

• radical environmental, primitive, and rewilding literature

• local plant and animal identification guides, etc.

• local topographical maps

• your knowledge, wisdom, and skills

• your friends!

Things NOT to bring:

• firearms and other weapons (there’s a difference between a TOOL and a WEAPON)

• parasitic or predatory human beings

• a bad attitude (including racism, sexism, classism, heteronormativity, homophobia, speciesism, ageism, ableism, etc.)

• the pigs and/or feddies

• a wire (we will be holding mandatory naked security culture workshops in the hot springs. No just kidding, only with your consent!)

Weekly supply runs will take place on Sunday mornings in conjunction with Durango Food Not Bombs. Surplus donated supplies from Durango FNB will be sent to the Feral Futures communal kitchen. Monetary donations for supplies will be collected at the Feral Futures communal kitchen. The Dirty Hands Collective will be providing Durango logistics and minimal services including laundry (bring your own soap!) and wireless internet access (also on Sundays in conjunction with FNB & supply runs for Feral Futures).

Camp guidelines (in progress):

We seek to create safe® space for all, including families and children, the sober, and those who identify as GLBTQ.

We expect everyone to observe good security culture. If you are unfamiliar with security culture, please read http://aia.mahost.org/sec_basics.html

Drugs and alcohol are discouraged, but a rowdy zone will be established at the parking area, where we request the partying be restricted. All other space, including celebratory and ceremonial space, should be considered sober space. Please respect others. Unlike many similar gatherings, a space IS being designated for partying. This is more than you will find at most gatherings of this sort. So let’s have some fun!

Dogs increase our impact on the land and local wildlife, and are thus discouraged, though we understand and accept the fact many human beings and their canine companions are inseparable, and they will undoubtedly remain a part of our rewilded and feral futures upon this planet. We request that if you bring your dog, you keep it on a leash. If your dog attacks wildlife, other dogs, or human beings, you will be asked to leave the gathering.

When it comes to physical intimacy and sexual contact, ASK FIRST! No Compromise In Defense of Consent!

Violence, physical assault, emotional assault, and/or sexual assault will NOT be tolerated under any circumstances and anyone who engages in such assault will be asked to leave, and if necessary, removed physically.

In attempting to manifest the world we desire, we will pursue non-coercive means of conflict resolution and non-coercive processes of accountability. Decisions affecting the group will be made through the utilization of consensus process.

See you in the woods!

If anyone in the Seattle area is going, please PM me. I need a ride! We could drive in shifts to get there faster (I’m estimating 22 hours non-stop?).

I can leave on May 24 and come back on the 27th or 28th. (Yeah, only 2-3 days at the gathering, but I can’t get more time off from my job.)

If that matches your travel plans, let me know, and I’ll help with gas/snacks.

Site directions/location:

Drive East from Durango, CO on US Hwy 160 for approximately 35 miles (West from Pagosa Springs). Turn left (if headed East from Durango) on FS622, the dirt road on the East side of the Piedra river, NOT the one on the West side of the river. drive for about 5 to 5 1/2 miles until you see the turn-out & parking area on your left, which is pretty obvious. there should be a sign that says Sheep Creek trailhead, and a trail going down the hill. if you come to a bridge that the road crosses, you’ve gone way too far. That’s the definite turn-around point.

At the turn off of HWY 160 onto FS622 is a sign that says ‘Piedra Resort,’ and the first road sign you see DOES have a 622 sign, a little forest service colored one, but the bigger road sign says Archuleta County 166.

The first half-mile or so of the road has washboards right now, but the rest is okay. You cross two cattle guards on the way in and right at the site there’s a yellow T-in-the-road sign.

Most of the space is up top, but the trail goes down the hill to another meadow or two and then down to the river where there’s another spacious meadow, and then upriver to the hot springs. The river is still high (but peaked and dropping) but as of yesterday at least one hot spring is uncovered and good for soaking. The trail pretty much ends at the springs, and sorta restarts on the other side of the river, so you know you’ve reached the springs if the trail ends. they’re little pools down along-side the edge of the river, with camping spots above the bank a little ways.

This is the FS map, but it doesn’t show the exact FS road. it’s right at the bottom tip of where it says “Piedra Area,” right on the edge of the wilderness: http://www.fs.fed.us/r2/sanjuan/maps/sjnf-map.htm (Search “Devil Mountain, Colorado,” or “Piedra, Colorado” on Google Earth and/or other map websites.)

It’s a good site, because we have two towns to hit up for town runs, Pagosa and Durango, and then also little Bayfield in between. It’s close to both NM and the San Luis Valley (just over Wolf Creek Pass from Pagosa). Please be kind to the locals!

Let us know if there’s anything confusing about these directions, or anything else I can do.

stay wild & free

If you have to DRIVE there then why bother? Why so remote? I say shove rewilding in the face of “civilization” and have a gathering at the edge of town, in a city park, etc. Those of us who do not drive or don’t have cars or bike or walk everywhere cannot get to such a remote place. This planning is elitist and discriminates against those who don’t have the funds or transportation. Absurd.

perhaps you could make a gathering in the city …even plan it around the same days…

Dragyn:

Welcome to rewild.info…even though we’ve come to the last weeks of this particular forum, I’d still like you to introduce yourself in the introductions thread before posting.

Additionally, as we ask of all our members, please stick to telling your own story and asking sincere questions, rather than characterizing what the event planners have done, or giving them advice.

I agree with green - if it interests you, perhaps planning your own urban rewilding gathering would help address your frustrations, and help other folks in your situation as well.

The process of returning from the wilderness to civilization—of “re-entry”—is never a pleasant or easy one. As we leave the free and Wild Earth behind us and return to the shackles of an omnicidal system, we reflect upon the lessons learned and the face-to-face relationships built in the process, as well as our role as insurgents within the heart of the empire. Our hearts look forward to returning to the freedom of the forest.

First, we would like to thank all the organizers, affinity group members, teachers, trainers, musicians, storytellers, wisdom keepers, and other attendees that made this event possible and successful. We couldn’t have done it without you!

For our part as “organizers” (a label we use with reservations) and participants, Feral Futures was an experiment in temporary autonomy conducted with minimal experience, from which great lesson have been drawn. As organizers we feel that we have learned a lot about networking and organizing such events, and despite our shortcomings and outright failures, we know we can only improve from here. Primarily, we seek to expend our collective to ease the burden on individual collective members. Please contact feralfutures@riseup.net if you would like to help organize future gatherings.

Workshops included self-defense, rabbit stick, the art of fire-making (bow drill, etc.), stalking, camouflage, wild edible/medicinal identification, sustainable harvesting, and preparation, cordage and slings, shelter, stone tools, star & moon gazing, humanure (human composting), and more. We are also very grateful to have had the Earth First! Roadshow stop by, who conducted trainings and workshops in areas varying from direct action to facilitation and consensus, from tree climbing to anti-oppression and security culture. Discussions around issues such as the revolutionary redistribution of resources (FNB, etc.), local struggles such as the Village at Wolf Creek, Desert Rock, Black Mesa, the San Francisco Peaks, indigenous resistance and solidarity, climate, wilderness, biodiversity, justice, and sustainability also took place, as well as political prisoner letter writing sessions.

More important that the specific skills learned and issues discussed are the real-life and face-to-face connections and relationships build with one another and our land base. For those who live in the area, intimacy with the immediate land base may have been, to a certain degree, pre-existent. But for those hailing from elsewhere, the task is now to return home, wherever that may be, and familiarize oneself with the land where they live.

A major area of needed improvement—on our part, as organizers—is getting more solid commitments for workshops, trainings, etc., beforehand. In retrospect, the momentum would also be sustained better throughout a quarter moon gathering, rather than a half moon gathering. The half moon cycle timeframe was good in that it allowed greater temporal flexibility for folks to attend, but bad in that it also dispersed attendance throughout time rather than concentrating it for a shorter period. Next year’s Feral Futures will thus take place for a quarter moon cycle, or one week.

Feral Futures aspires to become a global rewilding collective as well as an annual gathering, if not more often and in various bioregional locales around Wild Earth. We invite and encourage other Wild Earthlings to create Feral Futures in your neck of the woods. Please contact feralfutures@riseup.net if you would like to help organize future gatherings.

We would also like to solicit attendees for feedback, critiques, criticisms, etc., so that we can more effectively learn from this experience and incorporate those lessons into our praxis for future organizing.

Stay Wild & Free…

—Feral Futures Collective, Wild Earth

PS - SEE YOU IN CASCADIA!!!