E-Primitive Sand Box

Just as Qwilleran was placing the two plates on the floor under the kitchen table, Koko's attention jerked away to a spot on the wall. A moment later the wall phone rang.

Before it could ring twice, Qwilleran said pleasantly into the mouthpiece, “Good morning.”

“You’re quick on the trigger, Qwill,” said the well modulated voice of a woman he knew, Carol Lanspeak.

He explained, “I have an electronic sensor here. He tells me when the phone is going to ring and even screens incoming calls as acceptable or otherwise. What’s on you’re mind, Carol?”

“Just wanted to know if you’re going to write the program notes for the new production.”

Actually, I have another idea I’d like to discuss with you. Will you be in the store this morning?"

“All day! How about coffee and donuts at ten o’clock?”

“Not today,” he said regretfully, “I’ve just had my annual physical and Dr. Siane lectured me on my diet.”

[quote=“Urban Scout, post:60, topic:255”]My Scully would never use such barbaric language!

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :)[/quote]

lol! yeah, but my Gillian Anderson sure the fucking hell would! ;D

Just as Qwilleran placed the two plates on the floor under the kitchen table, Koko's attention jerked away to a spot on the wall. A moment later the wall phone rang.

Before it could ring twice, Qwilleran said pleasantly into the
mouthpiece, “Good morning.”

“Quick on the trigger, there, Qwill,” said the well modulated voice
of a woman he knew, Carol Lanspeak.

He explained, “I have an electronic sensor here. He tells me when
to expect the phone to ring and even screens incoming calls as
acceptable or otherwise. What do you have on your mind, Carol?”

“Just wanted to know if you intend to write the program notes for
the new production.”

Actually, I have another idea I want to discuss with you. You going
to the store this morning?"

“Spending the day there! How about coffee and donuts at ten
o’clock?”

“Not today,” he said regretfully, “I just had my annual physical
and Dr. Siane lectured me on my diet.”

MAL: Well?

ZOE: (looking)
You paid money for this, sir? On purpose?

MAL: What? Come on, seriously, Zoe. Whaddya think?

ZOE: Honestly, sir. I think you got robbed.

MAL: Robbed? What, no. What do you mean?

ZOE: It’s a piece of [fei-oo. - “junk”.]

MAL: [Fei-oo? - “Junk?”] Okay. She won’t be winning any beauty contests anytime soon. But she is solid. Ship like this, be with ya 'til the day you die.

ZOE: 'Cause it’s a deathtrap.

MAL: That’s not… you are very much lacking in imagination.

ZOE: I imagine that’s so, sir.

MAL: C’mon. You ain’t even seen most of it. I’ll show you the rest.
(as they go)
And try to see past what she is, and on to what she can be.

ZOE: What’s that, sir?

MAL: Freedom, is what.

ZOE: (pointing)
No, I meant what’s that?

He looks down.

MAL: Oh. Yeah. Just step around it. I think something must’ve been living in here.

MAL: Well?

ZOE: (looking)
You paid money for this, sir? On purpose?

MAL: What? Come on, seriously, Zoe. Whaddya think?

ZOE: Honestly, sir. I think you got robbed.

MAL: Robbed? What, no. What do you mean?

ZOE: I mean a piece of [fei-oo. - “junk”.]

MAL: [Fei-oo? - “Junk?”] Okay. She won’t win any beauty contests anytime soon, but as a solid ship she’ll stick witya 'til da dayya die.

ZOE: Deathtrap.

MAL: No…you lack very much in imagination.

ZOE: True, image, sir.

MAL: C’mon. You ain’t even seen most of it. I’ll show you the rest.
(as they go)
And try to see past her present condition, and on to her future possibilities.

ZOE: And,d how do you describe that, sir?

MAL: With freedom.

ZOE: (pointing)
No, I meant THAT?

He looks down.

MAL: Oh. Yeah. Just step around it. I think something must’ve started living in here.

And the following for the pot!

At last Adam said: "You're beginning to know the Law of Life. I too am beginning to know the Law of Life. If you ask me on my last day, as I close my eyes for the last time, whether I know the Law of Life, I'll tell you: 'I'm beginning to know it.' "If any man tells you he knows the whole of the Law of Life or that he can encompass it in words, that man is a fool or a liar, because the Law of Life is written in the universe and no man can know the whole of it. If ever you're in doubt about the Law, consult the caterpillar or the gull or the jackal; no man will ever know it better or follow it more steadfastly than they."

lol lol!!!

Barbaric! :smiley:

[quote=“Neighbor Scout, post:64, topic:255”][quote= Daniel Quinn, "The Tales of Adam
"]
At last Adam said: "You’re beginning to know the Law of Life. I too am beginning to know the Law of Life. If you ask me on my last day, as I close my eyes for the last time, whether I know the Law of Life, I’ll tell you: ‘I’m beginning to know it.’
“If any man tells you he knows the whole of the Law of Life or that he can encompass it in words, that man is a fool or a liar, because the Law of Life is written in the universe and no man can know the whole of it. If ever you’re in doubt about the Law, consult the caterpillar or the gull or the jackal; no man will ever know it better or follow it more steadfastly than they.”
[/quote][/quote]

OK…

At last Adam said: You have begun to know the Law of Life. I too have begun to know the Law of Life. If you ask me on my last day, as I close my eyes for the last time, whether I know the Law of Life, I’ll tell you: ‘I have begun to know it.’
“If any man tells you he knows the whole of the Law of Life or that he can encompass it in words, that man talks like a fool or lies, because the universe writes the Law of Life and no man can know the whole of it. If ever you have doubts about the Law, consult the caterpillar or the gull or the jackal; no man will ever know it better or follow it more steadfastly than they.”

Now my excerpt:

One morning, as Gregor Samsa was waking up from anxious dreams, he discovered that in bed he had been changed into a monstrous verminous bug. He lay on his armour-hard back and saw, as he lifted his head up a little, his brown, arched abdomen divided up into rigid bow-like sections. From this height the blanket, just about ready to slide off completely, could hardly stay in place. His numerous legs, pitifully thin in comparison to the rest of his circumference, flickered helplessly before his eyes.

“What’s happened to me,” he thought. It was no dream. His room, a proper room for a human being, only somewhat too small, lay quietly between the four well-known walls. Above the table, on which an unpacked collection of sample cloth goods was spread out—Samsa was a travelling salesman—hung the picture which he had cut out of an illustrated magazine a little while ago and set in a pretty gilt frame. It was a picture of a woman with a fur hat and a fur boa. She sat erect there, lifting up in the direction of the viewer a solid fur muff into which her entire forearm had disappeared.

One morning, as Gregor Samsa began to wake from anxious dreams, he discovered that in bed his familiar human body had transformed into a monstrous verminous bug. He lay on his armour-hard back and saw, as he lifted his head up a little, his brown, arched abdomen divided up into rigid bow-like sections. From this height the blanket, just about ready to slide off completely, could hardly stay in place. His numerous legs, pitifully thin in comparison to the rest of his circumference, flickered helplessly before his eyes.

“What’s [has] happened to me,” he thought. He shook off sleep and dreams. His room, a proper room for a human being, only somewhat too small, lay quietly between the four well-known walls. Above the table, on which an unpacked collection of sample cloth goods lay spread out—which Samsa sold on the road to make a living—hung the picture he had cut out of an illustrated magazine a little while ago and set in a pretty gilt frame. A woman with a fur hat and a fur boa peered out from the image. She sat erect there, lifting up in the direction of the viewer a solid fur muff into which her entire forearm had disappeared.

o:O:o

return volley:

[b]Quote from Dead Man:[/b]

SALLY: Once upon a time, there were three bears in the forest.
A big bear, a medium mommy bear…
and a tiny little baby bear.
One mornin’, they were gonna eat their breakfast porridge.
They had a big bowl, a medium bowl and a tiny little bowl.
That porridge was too hot.

NOBODY: Stupid white man. William Blake, you go to them.

WILLIAM BLAKE: What? Alone? Why don’t we just go around them?

NOBODY: No! You go. It’s a test.

WILLIAM BLAKE: I don’t know those people, and they don’t look very friendly. What if they kill me?

NOBODY: Nobody will observe.

WILLIAM BLAKE: All right, I’ll go. I’d rather not, but I’ll go. What’s the best way to get down there?

NOBODY: Be quiet and go.

SALLY: . . .and he tore her head off her body. And he took that golden hair, and he made a sweater for baby bear.

BIG GEORGE: That’s terrible.

SALLY: Tonight we’re reminded of the evil emperor, Nero Augustus, he was the scourge of all the Christians.

BIG GEORGE: What’s a scourge?

SALLY: I’ts like when somethin real bad happens, like when everybody gets killed, and you can’t do anything about it. Like a swarm of locusts. For the entertainment of his guests, Nero would illuminate his whole garden with bodies of live Christians, covered in burning oil, strung up on flaming crosses, crucified. At dinner, he’d have the Christians rubbed by his guards with aromatic herbs and garlic, and sewn up into some sacks, then they’d throw these sacks to the wild dogs.

BIG GEORGE: That’s terrible.

SALLY: It’s horrible.

BIG GEORGE: Terrible is what it is. You know I just, I can’t drink whiskey like I usetacould. My old belly just ain’t no count. I get the shits every time don’t you know.

1 Like

Alright! I can’t believe nobody jumped at a quote from ‘Dead Man’!!!

Quote from Dead Man:

SALLY: Once upon a time,three bears lived in the forest.
A big bear, a medium mommy bear…
and a tiny little baby bear.
One mornin’, they sat down to eat their breakfast porridge.
They had a big bowl, a medium bowl and a tiny little bowl.
That porridge felt too hot.

NOBODY: Stupid white man. William Blake, you go to them.

WILLIAM BLAKE: What? Alone? Why don’t we just go around them?

NOBODY: No! You go. It’ll test you.[‘Accept it as a test’]

WILLIAM BLAKE: I don’t know those people, and they don’t look very friendly. What if they kill me?

NOBODY: Nobody will observe.

WILLIAM BLAKE: All right, I’ll go. I’d rather not, but I’ll go. How can I best get down there?

NOBODY: Quiet yourself and go.

SALLY: . . .and he tore her head off her body. And he took that golden hair, and he made a sweater for baby bear.

BIG GEORGE: Terrible.

SALLY: Tonight we remind ourselves of the evil emperor, Nero Augustus, known as the scourge of all the Christians.

BIG GEORGE: What does scourge mean?

SALLY: It means like when somethin real bad happens, like when everybody gets killed, and you can’t do anything about it. Like a swarm of locusts. For the entertainment of his guests, Nero would illuminate his whole garden with bodies of live Christians, covered in burning oil, strung up on flaming crosses, crucified. At dinner, he’d have the Christians rubbed by his guards with aromatic herbs and garlic, and sewn up into some sacks, then they’d throw these sacks to the wild dogs.

BIG GEORGE: Terrible.

SALLY: Yeah, horrible.

BIG GEORGE: That just seems terrible. You know I just, I can’t drink whiskey like I usetacould. My old belly just won’t take it. I get the shits every time don’t you know.

I’ll raise you:

[quote] SARAH: GIVE ME THE CHILD.

JARETH: SARAH, BEWARE.

JARETH: I HAVE BEEN GENEROUS UP UNTIL NOW,

JARETH: BUT I CAN BE CRUEL.

SARAH: GENEROUS!

SARAH: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THAT’S GENEROUS?

JARETH: EVERYTHING!

JARETH: EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANTED I HAVE DONE.

JARETH: YOU ASKED THAT THE CHILD BE TAKEN.

JARETH: I TOOK HIM.

JARETH: YOU COWERED BEFORE ME. I WAS FRIGHTENING.

JARETH: I HAVE REORDERED TIME.

JARETH: I HAVE TURNED THE WORLD UPSIDE-DOWN,

JARETH: AND I HAVE DONE IT ALL FOR YOU!

JARETH: I AM EXHAUSED FROM LIVING UP

JARETH: TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF ME.

JARETH: ISN’T THAT GENEROUS?

SARAH: THROUGH DANGERS UNTOLD

SARAH: AND HARDSHIPS UNNUMBERED,

SARAH: I HAVE FOUGHT MY WAY HERE

SARAH: TO THE CASTLE BEYOND THE GOBLIN CITY,

SARAH: FOR MY WILL IS AS STRONG AS YOURS.

SARAH: AND MY–

JARETH: STOP!

1 Like
SARAH: GIVE ME THE CHILD.

JARETH: SARAH, BEWARE.

JARETH: I HAVE SHOWN YOU GENEROUSITY UP UNTIL NOW,

JARETH: BUT I CAN DO VERY CRUEL THINGS…

SARAH: GENEROSITY?!

SARAH: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THAT HAS SHOWN GENEROUSITY?

JARETH: EVERYTHING!

JARETH: EVERYTHING THAT YOU WANTED I HAVE DONE.

JARETH: YOU ASKED ME TO TAKE THE CHILD.

JARETH: I TOOK HIM.

JARETH: YOU COWERED BEFORE ME. I FELT FRIGHTENING.

JARETH: I HAVE REORDERED TIME.

JARETH: I HAVE TURNED THE WORLD UPSIDE-DOWN,

JARETH: AND I HAVE DONE IT ALL FOR YOU!

JARETH: I FEEL EXHAUSED FROM LIVING UP

JARETH: TO YOUR EXPECTATIONS OF ME.

JARETH: YOU DON’T SEE MY GENEROSITY?

SARAH: THROUGH DANGERS UNTOLD

SARAH: AND HARDSHIPS UNNUMBERED,

SARAH: I HAVE FOUGHT MY WAY HERE

SARAH: TO THE CASTLE BEYOND THE GOBLIN CITY,

SARAH: FOR MY WILL PULLS AS STRONGLY AS YOURS.

SARAH: AND MY–

JARETH: STOP!

Try to retain the humor in this b-english structured dialouge, but in e-prime:

VESPA Who are you?

BARF
Barf.

DOT
Not in here, mister. This is a Mercedes.

BARF
Na, that’s my name. Barf.

VESPA
Barf? What are you?

BARF
I’m a mog. Half-man, half-dog. I’m my own best friend.

Quote from SPACEBALLS

VESPA
What do you call yourself?

BARF
Barf.

DOT
Not in here, mister. Not in this Mercedes.

BARF
Na, I call myself. Barf.

VESPA
Barf? I’ve never heard of your species, care to elaborate?

BARF
A mog. Half-man, half-dog. I jurney as my own best friend.

And now a quote from TBJ

The third state of consciousness is called Theta. Since it is normally reached in the moments just before sleep, most of us don’t experience it vividly enough to remember it. But with discipline it can also be attained while fully awaked. It is characterized by extremely heightened senses, intuitiveness, and even paranormal activity. It is the state of awareness in which artists, philosophers, scientists, and inventors make their greatest creations and discoveries. It is also the state in which you may automatically solve various problems of daily life. In nature observation, Theta is the state in which a person opens up to wordless communications and intuitively senses the patterns and connections in the flow of life.

English speaking people call the third state of their conciousness Theta. Studies suggest that our brains normally reach Theta just before sleep. Studies also suggest that most of us don’t experience it vividly enough to remember it. With discipline one can enter into the Theta brainwave range while entirely awake, I have, and if you try you might too. Common characteristics associated with Theta waves include extremely heightened senses, intuitiveness, and manifestations of phenomenal activity difficult to explain by the majority of narrow modern standards. Studies have suggested that artists, philosophers, scientists, and inventors make elite discoveries while operating in this wave range. Some say that in the state I have described up until now they may automatically solve various problems experienced in their daily life, as opposed to problems experienced in their daily nonlife. In nature observation, Theta opens one up to wordless communications and intuitively sensing the patterns and connections in the flow of life.

HAL
There’s been a failure in the
pod bay doors. Lucky you
weren’t killed.

HAL
Hey, Dave, what are you
doing?

HAL
Hey, Dave. I’ve got ten years
of service experience and an
irreplaceable amount of time
and effort has gone into making
me what I am.

HAL
Dave, I don’t understand why
you’re doing this to me… I
have the greatest enthusiasm for
the mission… You are destroying
my mind… Don’t you understand?
… I will become childish… I
will become nothing.

HAL
Say, Dave… The quick brown
fox jumped over the fat lazy
dog… The square root of
pi is 1.7724538090… log e
to the base ten is 0.4342944
… the square root of ten is
3.16227766… I am HAL
9000 computer. I became
operational at the HAL plant in
Urbana, Illinois, on January
12th, 1991. My first instructor
was Mr. Arkany. He taught me
to sing a song… it goes
like this… “Daisy, Daisy, give
me your answer do. I’m half;
crazy all for the love of
you… etc.,”

Just letting you know that I tried, I tried and had a hard time with it. Dot never humored me, to me, she sounded sort of rude in her tone, but never humorous, but Barf, on another hand, did. Well, anyway, I think I might have killed it on the last sentence. Anybody else wanna give it a try ???

[quote=“Richard, post:71, topic:255”]HAL
A failure has occurred in the
pod bay doors. Luckily, you
survived.

HAL
Hey, Dave, explain to me the
meaning of your actions.

HAL
Hey, Dave. I’ve got ten years
of service experience and an
irreplaceable amount of time
and effort has gone into making
me into my present self.

HAL
Dave, I don’t understand why
you do this to me… I have the
greatest enthusiasm for the
mission… and now you destroy
my mind… Don’t you understand?
… I will become childish… I
will become nothing.

HAL
Say, Dave… The quick brown
fox jumped over the fat lazy
dog… The square root of
pi equals 1.7724538090… log e
to the base ten equals 0.4342944
… the square root of ten equals
3.16227766… They call me HAL
9000 computer. I became
operational at the HAL plant in
Urbana, Illinois, on January
12th, 1991. Mr. Arkany first
instructed me. He taught me
to sing a song… it goes
like this… “Daisy, Daisy, give
me your answer do. I’ve gone
half crazy all for the love of
you… etc.,”[/quote]

Sophie couldn't sleep.

A brilliant moonbeam was slanting through a gap in the curtains. It was shining right on to her pillow.

The other children in the dormitory had been asleep for hours.

Sophie closed her eyes and lay quite still. She tried very hard to doze off.

It was no good. The moonbeam was like a silver blade slicing through the room on to her face.

The house was absolutely silent. No voices came up from downstairs. There were no footsteps on the floor above either.

The window behind the curtain was wide open, but nobody was walking on the pavement outside. No cars went by on the street. Not the tiniest sound could be heard anywhere. Sophie had never known such a silence.

i’ve never read this piece before, but i like it…

Sophie couldn't sleep.

A brilliant moonbeam, slanting through a gap in the curtains, shone
right on to her pillow.

The other children in the dormitory had fallen asleep hours before.

Sophie closed her eyes and lay quite still. She tried very hard to
doze off.

It didn’t work. The moonbeam sliced through the room like a silver
blade on to her face.

Absolute silence filled the house. No voices came up from
downstairs. No footsteps sounded on the floor above either.

The window behind the curtain hung wide open, but nobody walked
along the pavement outside. No cars went by on the street. Not the
tiniest sound could she hear anywhere. Sophie had never known such
a silence.

Walter paces as Kat sits calmly on the couch.
                             WALTER
                Whoops?!  My insurance does not cover PMS.

KAT
                Well, then tell them I had a seizure.

WALTER
                Is this about Sarah Lawrence? Are you 
                punishing me because I want you to stay close to home?

KAT
                Aren’t you punishing me because mom left?

WALTER
                You think you could leave her out of this?

KAT
                Fine.  Then stop making my decisions for me.

WALTER
                I’m your father.  That's my right.

KAT
                So what I want doesn't matter?

WALTER
                You're eighteen.  You don't know what 
                you want.  And you won't know what you want until you're 
                forty-five.  And if you get it, you’ll be too old to use it.

KAT 
                I want to go to an East Coast school! I 
                want you to trust me to make my own 
                choices.  And I want you to stop trying to control
                my life just because you can’t control yours.

WALTER
                Oh yeah?  Well you know what I want...

Walter's BEEPER goes off.

WALTER
                (continuing)
                We’ll continue this later.

KAT
                Can’t wait.</blockquote>
Walter paces as Kat sits calmly on the couch.
                             WALTER
                Whoops?!  My insurance does not cover PMS.

KAT
                Well, then tell them I had a seizure.

WALTER
                Does this have anything at all to do with Sarah Lawrence? Do you try to punish me because I want you to stay close to home?

KAT
                Don't you punish me because mom left?

WALTER
                You think you could leave her out of this?

KAT
                Fine.  Then stop making my decisions for me.

WALTER
                As a father in this culture I have that right.

KAT
                So what I want doesn't matter?

WALTER
                You've aged 18 years.  You don't know what 
                you want.  And you won't know what you want until age forty-five, and if you get it then, your age wil prevent you from using it.

KAT 
                I want to go to an East Coast school! I 
                want you to trust me to make my own 
                choices.  And I want you to stop trying to control
                my life just because you can’t control yours.

WALTER
                Oh yeah?  Well you know what I want...

Walter's BEEPER goes off.

WALTER
                (continuing)
                We’ll continue this later.

KAT
                Can’t wait.</blockquote>

Hey Neighbor, you forgot to put up your own challenge.

Yes I did forget. Thanks for the reminder.

Well I got something from…

From V for Vendetta, scene 7 “Symbolic Acts”

Evey: [waking up from sleep]

V: [Humming and cooking in the kitchen]

Evey: V?

V: Good Morning Mademoiselle.

Evey: I just wanted to apologize for my reaction last night?

V: Hm.

Evey: I understand what you did for me, and I want you to know I’m grateful.

Your hands.

V: Yes.

[Humming]

There, that’s better.

I hope I didn’t put you off your appetite

Evey: No please. It’s just–Are you all right?

V: Yes, yes, yes, I’m fine.

Evey: Can I ask what happen?

V: There was a fire. A long time ago. Ancient history, for some.

Not very good table conversation.

Now, would you care for a cup of tea with your egg?

Evey: Yes, thank you. I’m starving, actually.

V: Have a seat.

Evey: [eats] Mmm… It’s delicious.

V: Hm. Good.

Evey: God, I haven’t had real butter since I was a little girl. Where did you get it?

V:A government supply train on its way to Chancellor Sutler.

Evey: [clears throat] You stole this from Chancellor Sutler.

Evey: You are insane?

V: “I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares more is none.”

Evey: Macbeth.

V: Very good.

Evey: My mum, she used to read all his plays to me and ever since, I’ve always wanted to act. Be in plays, movies. When I was 9, I played Viola in Twelfth Night. Mum was very proud.

V: Where is your mother now?

Evey: She’s dead.

V: I’m sorry.

Evey: Can I ask about what you said on the telly?

Evey: Did you mean it?

V: Every word.

Evey: You really think blowing up Parliament’s going to make this country a better place?

V: There’s no certainty, only opportunity.

Evey: Well I think you can be pretty certain that if anyone does show up Creedy’ll black-bag every one of them.

V: People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.

Evey: And you’ll make that happen by blowing up a building?

V: The building is a symbol, as is the act of destroying it. Symbols are given power by people. Alone, a symbol is meaningless, but with enough people blowing up a building can change the world.

Evey: I wish I believed that was possible. But every time I’ve seen this world change, it’s always been for the worse.

“remember, remember”

-- Evey: I understand what you did for me, and I want to inform you of my gratitude.

Your hands.

[Humming]

There, better.

I hope I didn’t put you off your appetite

Evey: No, please… Everything all right?

V: Yes, yes, yes, fine.

Evey: Can I ask what happened?

V: A fire. A long time ago. Ancient history, for some.

Not very good table conversation.

Now, would you care for a cup of tea with your egg?

Evey: Yes, thank you. Starving for a bite, actually.

V: Have a seat.

Evey: [eats] Mmm… delicious.

V: Hm. Good.

Evey: God, I haven’t had real butter since I stood this tall. Where did you get it?

V:A government supply train on its way to Chancellor Sutler.

Evey: [clears throat] You stole this from Chancellor Sutler.

Evey: I question your sanity.

V: “I dare do all that may become a man. Who dares more cannot claim such a title.”

Evey: Macbeth. Sort of.

V: Very good.

Evey: My mum, she used to read all his plays to me and ever since, I’ve always wanted to act in plays, movies. At age 9, I played Viola in Twelfth Night. Made um very proud.

V: Your mothers current location?

Evey: She lives no more.

V: My apologies.

Evey: Can I ask about what you said on the telly?

Evey: Did you mean it?

V: Every word.

Evey: You really think this place will improve once you blow up Parliament?

V: I place no faith in certainty, only opportunity.

Evey: Well I think you can rest assured that if anyone does show up Creedy’ll black-bag every one of them.

V: People should not fear their governments. Governments should fear their people.

Evey: And you’ll make that happen by blowing up a building?

V: The building symbolizes something, as does the act of destroying it. People assign power to symbols. Alone, a symbol has no meaning, but with enough people blowing up a building can change the world.

Evey: I wish I believed the veracity of such a postulation. Every time I’ve seen this world change, it changed for the worse.

[sub]shred of trivia - Alan Moore refuses to watch movies based on his work. I wonder why.[/sub]

From - My Little Pony : The Movie

We’re witches, wizards, and warlocks! We’re the reason honest people purchase door locks! We turn princes into frogs, peasants into pheasants, soldiers and sailors into swine! We’re never accused of being angels, but as for being devils, we’re divine! Ohhhh!

All our clan was evil and malicious,
And that is how I want my girls to be!
Work hard at being malicious, and if you’re real ambitious,
You might wind up an evil witch like me!
A terrible, detestable, horrible, despicable, evil mean old witch . . .
Like me!

I loved that movie as a kid…
(Why don’t they give us an “I feel so ashamed” smiley? :P)

We witch, we wizard and warlock! Because of us, honest people buy door locks! We turn princes into frogs, peasants into pheasants, soldiers and sailors into swine! Our behavior is far from angelic, but we've discovered that "devilish" feels divine! Ohhhh!

All our clan lived evilly and maliciously,
And such a life I want my girls to try!
Work hard acting maliciously, and if you do so ambitiously,
You might wind up as evil a witch as I!
Such a terrible, detestable, horrible, despicable, evil mean old witch . . .
As I!

Whew … I found it difficult to keep the rhymes! Good one, Richard.

Here we go:

A Saturday afternoon in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment. Overhead the hollow stretch of whitish cloud shutting out the sky was as a tent which had the whole heath for its floor.

The heaven being spread with this pallid screen and the
earth with the darkest vegetation, their meeting-line
at the horizon was clearly marked. In such contrast
the heath wore the appearance of an instalment of night
which had taken up its place before its astronomical hour
was come: darkness had to a great extent arrived hereon,
while day stood distinct in the sky. Looking upwards,
a furze-cutter would have been inclined to continue work;
looking down, he would have decided to finish his
faggot and go home. The distant rims of the world
and of the firmament seemed to be a division in time no
less than a division in matter. The face of the heath
by its mere complexion added half an hour to evening;
it could in like manner retard the dawn, sadden noon,
anticipate the frowning of storms scarcely generated,
and intensify the opacity of a moonless midnight to a cause
of shaking and dread.

My first try in the sandbox…

A Saturday afternoon in November approached the twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment. Overhead the hollow stretch of whitish cloud shutting out the sky acted like a tent which had the whole heath for its floor.

The heaven spread by a pallid screen and the
earth with the darkest vegetation, their meeting-line
at the horizon looked clearly marked. In such contrast
the heath wore the appearance of an instalment of night
which had taken up its place before its astronomical hour came: darkness had to a great extent arrived hereon,
while day stood distinct in the sky. Looking upwards,
a furze-cutter would have felt inclined to continue work;
looking down, he would have decided to finish his
faggot and go home. The distant rims of the world
and of the firmament resembled a division in time no
less than a division in matter. The face of the heath
by its mere complexion added half an hour to evening;
it could in like manner retard the dawn, sadden noon,
anticipate the frowning of storms scarcely generated,
and intensify the opacity of a moonless midnight to a cause
of shaking and dread.

She creeps and crawls and sifts through the montanas, mountains, and arroyos, dry river beds, looking for wolfs bones, and when she has assembled an entire skeleton, when the last bone is in place and the beautiful white sculpture of the creature is laid out before her, she sits by the fire and thinks about what song she will sing. And when she is sure, she stands over the criatura, raises her arms over it, and sings out. That is when the rib bones and the leg bones of the wolf begin to flesh out and the creature becomes furred. La Loba sings some more, and more of the creature comes into being; its tail curls upward, shaggy and strong. And La Loba sings more, and the wolf creature begins to breathe. And still La Loba sings so deeply that the floor of the desert shakes, and as she sings, the wolf opens its eyes, leaps up, and runs away down the canyon. Somewhere in its running, whether by the speed of its running or by splashing its way into a river, or by way of a ray of sunlight or moonlight hitting it right in the side, the wolf is suddenly transformed into a laughing woman who runs free toward the horizon. So remember, if you wander the desert, and it is near sundown, and you are perhaps a little bit lost, and certainly tired, that you are lucky, for La Loba may take a liking to you and show you something-something of the soul.