E-Prime Phrases of Speech Challenge

Not to mention “I feel horny, please describe your underwear.” :slight_smile: Many possibilities with that question.

Haha yes it always goes to the question of authorial intent!

“What dost thou wear?” ----- hahahahahahah!!!

“I feel horny, please describe your underwear.” hahahahahah!!!

I love you guys…

BUT YOU FORGOT TO ADD A NEW CHALLENGE AT THE END OF YOUR POSTS!!!

Oops! New challenge: What’s up?

There, up in the sky…a bird? A plane?
What do you want to do next?
What up, yo?
I can’t make out the mountain top…what can you see?
Please define “up”.

How about this little tautology…
" I am what I am and that’s all that I am"

I am what I am and that’s all that I am

I feel what I feel and these feelings sum up my essence.
I act the way I do, and my actions represent the expression of my core self.
My many behaviors reflect the complexity of my personality, and nothing more.
I do what I do, and and nothing else.
I person, the way I person, and I person no more than that.

Next Challenge: (in a similar vein)

"I am just being myself."

1 Like

I act according to my nature.
I allow myself to feel what I feel.
My personality forces me to behave this way.
The divine order of the cosmos has predetermined that I act the fool.
I like myself unconditionally.

Next challenge: Is that the way it has to be?

1 Like

Can we not do that differently?
Your cake doesn’t quite look like the one in the cookbook, does it?
Do I have a choice?
I would prefer another route.
That looks weird!

Next challenge: What is a verb?

[quote=“Anneke, post:48, topic:673”]
Next challenge: What is a verb?
[/quote] How do verbs function?
What purpose do verbs serve?

Next challenge: “That’s not real!”

I call bullshit.
Have faith.
You obviously hallucinate.
That differs from my interpretation of reality.
There you go, making stuff up.

A line from Allen Ginsberg’s “Howl”…

" Ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time-"

Birds on the brain. I read “I call bullshit” as “I call bushtit.”

Lummox, do you have a challenge? I thought of one I’d like to suggest if not.

First five more alternatives for That’s not real:

I don’t believe it.
I can’t believe my eyes.
I don’t see the truth in that even a little.
That doesn’t exist.
You made it up.

Another challenge: I’m in love.

I’m thinking of “The Disobedience of the Daughter of the Sun,” fresh on my mind since I just read it aloud again. Tall Girl and Short Boy exchange many wordy variations of this phrase. :slight_smile:

By all means, challenge away. I find myself “in love” as well, but upon reflection I might rephrase that a few different ways;

I love Jane
Yes, I "like, like " her.
It feels like spring.
I fear myself, without my love
My love obsesses me

Anyway, I intended the Ginsberg line quoted above as a challenge. I got overexcited.

Doh! I mistook your challenge for a signature quote!

Apologies. Here’s at least one translation: “Ah, Carl, what threatens your safety threatens mine, and now you really swim in the total animal soup of time.”

Now I want to think of alternative wording for my favorite Ginsberg poem, “Sunflower Sutra,” particularly “You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower! And you Locomotive, you are a locomotive, forget me not!”

These two contain “am” by the way. More "I’m in love"s, please, if you feel up to it!

One example from the Daughter of the Sun and Moon: “When I heard your whistling, I sprouted into a leaf who longs to be rolled tight and smoked into your chest, where like a cloud I’d play like a young otter, splashing in the liquid jade of your heart, jumping up to lick your shine like a puppy licks the face of a messy child…”

The lady likes her similes, haha.

Oh geeze…I’d have caught that by morning. Lazy process.

I also owe you four more e-primed versions of “Ah, Carl, while you are not safe I am not safe, and now you’re really in the total animal soup of time”:

Carl, my friend, I stand with you: the rain that falls on your head also falls on mine. I stand with you even now as you crouch at the center of a tornado. I love you, man.

Look out, Carl! Look out for that bear! The angry bear that charges you! Oh god and now she charges us both!! See that total animal soup of time up ahead on the left? Let’s dive in and maybe the bear will go away, aghhhh!!! ((sound of bear eating two people))

Danger surrounds us on all sides. Fire and piranhas and knives. Death looms. Let us prepare to join the other animals in the steaming pot we call the total animal soup of time.

As a super sensitive empathic person I feel keenly connected to everyone, including you, Carl. Unfortunately this means I absorb not only your happiness but also your pain: when you feel anxious, I feel anxious. And when you feel engulfed by this feeling you call “the total animal soup of time,” those feelings jump into me as well. In other words, think positive, Carl. I don’t need this negative shit.

1 Like

She really knocks me out.
Since I met my love, everything looks different to me.
"From then on I say that Love governed my soul, immediately prior to our wedding, and began to acquire over me such certainty and command, through the power my imagination gave him, that I could not choose but to carry out his wishes fully. " - A slight adjustment, a transliteration of lines from Dante, “The New Life”

I’ve got you under my skin,

I’ve got it bad,

But if you take these lines further you run into trouble.

Cupid drew back his bow and pierced my heart, though the sentiment tastes a bit candied in spite of the level of the implied violence compared to the Dante.

The lines from “Sunflower Sutra” would take some pondering.

The bit with the bear receives my highest accolade.

I’ll probably edit this post a few times.

1 Like

I edit plenty too. :slight_smile: Now I want to add something about drowning in the total animal soup of love. Or losing yourself in the total animal soup of your sweetheart’s eyes. Haha.

Crazy how many love expressions involve pain or violence.